Guys I've been giving it a lot of thought and I need to present this here.    I  finally got in contact with my buddy, former Hawk at the University of Iowa.    He's been smarting from the Lee defeat at Midlands and 6th place finish to the point he had not returned any of my efforts at communication.   He finally called me this morning and came clean.  I met him up at the Pizza Palace off Magnolia and we threw back a couple root beer floats.    It was good seeing him shake off the shame and humiliation and finally begin to move on.   

I have to tell you guys, I promised I'd deliver inside info from within the walls of Carver Hawkeye when it became available.      My buddy is telling me Lee is going to win Vs Ohio State.    Yes I know to most of you this will come off as silly and perhaps even delusional, but the sales job he did on me regarding Lee going forward really left me thinking.  Is my buddy merely doubling down in a desperate effort to preserve face, or is Lee about to shock the wrestling fan base and show us what he's capable of?        I told him, I said:

Lee wasn't able to pace top 5 at Midlands,   

Lee was held to a single point.

Lee got beat by a kid who's never stood on the podium.   

Lee has a trend of taking lumps vs 125 pounders (Fix, Desanto, Bresser).

None the less I was given a guaratnee Lee wins against Ohio State.    I'm going to follow my buddies word.  I'm going to go with his assessment and prognostication. 

Lee over Ohio State, that's my call.   Who's with me? 

Stay where we can get ahold of you because Scientists may want to test your brain to see if Root Beer float bubbles effect it.

Your buddy is an Iowa fan and his thinking is clouded by more than the bubbles. He is living in a world of murky vision and delusion brought on by the reality that Iowa is desperate to field a team vainly trying to get Third Place at the NCAA tournament.

Enough to fog the brain of anyone who lives near cornfields - settle for challenging for Third Place?

WillieBoy there's no question your assessment would appear on the surface to be the most logical explanation.  I can't get into the technical breakdown my buddy provided (lets call him "the Hulk")  but he made a ton of sense from a tactics perspective and when he explained how a technical advantage may be achieved.  I assure you I countered with the obvious

The 100 lbs knee brace

The questionable conditioning

The undersized frosh with limited experience

The need for Brands to avoid another disappointment

But he had very good explanations for all but the last.    I am going against all I believe and my gut judgment here, but I'm going with Lee will win.   That's my final answer.   Lee will win.  

I am Russian! but i think Midlands is no tournamen when u can sya "i win Midlands  now i am NCAA legend" no, impossible, it is no this tournament like Yarygin or Olympics in Freestyle, no! We need see "new LEE", "new version of Lee"! The 6th place in Midlands   is toooooooooooooo little result, too little! we'll see what will happen in Ohio! i hope he win c:

Cletus, there is no accounting for blind loyalty. Even worse when it is fans still living in the shadow of Dan Gable years.

Iowa these days spends time rebuilding at various weights, not reloading as in the past. New coach shows up and has success for the first three years and then it drops off. Still tough but not #1. That hurts those who grew up with "Gable is God" and "Chuck Norris checks under his bed for Dan Gable before going to sleep" mentality.

Zalesky was excellent and a gentlaman.

Brands is good, over-excitable and a mutant P.T. Barnum.

Iowa is good. One of the best third place programs in the country.

Whatever Lee does I hope he is competitive and gives us a good match. Win or lose, it should be good. I think Brands & Co will get him going so the NCAA tournament is a realistic goal. Whether he makes it to the top or not it should be interesting.

Guys I've been giving it a lot of thought and I need to present this here.    I  finally got in contact with my buddy, former Hawk at the University of Iowa.    He's been smarting from the Lee defeat at Midlands and 6th place finish to the point he had not returned any of my efforts at communication.   He finally called me this morning and came clean.  I met him up at the Pizza Palace off Magnolia and we threw back a couple root beer floats.   

RBFs!?  If you want to get the reel information ya gotta drink the truth serum PBRs!

This forum should be broken into two groups:

* One for debate, speculation, and the analytical breakdown of prognostications based on facts

* One for fiction, prose, and a good laugh... like this thread, or Mudflaps/DF's of the world to post.  It's super fun to read, just doesn't quite belong with the serious Q&A and general commentary... different type of content, different type of "stuff"

I wonder how difficult it is to write stuff like this?  Do you think Cletus plays mind games / abuses his significant other?  Plays with words so as to be able to claim he said nothing wrong while at the same time clearly belittling the 'loved one.'  Clearly a winner that people want to be around.

This forum should be broken into two groups:

* One for debate, speculation, and the analytical breakdown of prognostications based on facts

* One for fiction, prose, and a good laugh... like this thread, or Mudflaps/DF's of the world to post.  It's super fun to read, just doesn't quite belong with the serious Q&A and general commentary... different type of content, different type of "stuff"

We used to have a place for that on the old forum, but the powers that be got rid of that subforum.

Well in my opinion, the prospect of Lee prevailing against NaTo, at this juncture seem improbable, but I also think that it's not impossible.

NaTo is coming off a absolute crushing performance against last year's runner up in Lizak, while Lee got off to a fast start against Picc, only to see Picc begin to get the measure of him near the latter stages of the match.

So one could conclude that the odds are in favor of NaTo, but Lee does workout with Gilman and Clark, and I am sure that both are giving him tips on his upcoming bout with NaTo. So we shall see, I am looking forward to seeing the two of them squaring off, and I hope it's a great match.

Come on Cletus, you know that wasn't a "legit" 6th place finish at Midlands. Lee would've easily roasted all the guys in consos if he hadn't been pulled. Plus that "loss" was pretty iffy too, in my opinion. Bresser ran the entire match and probably should've been hit for at least 1 stalling point (imo). Next time they wrestle I'd be surprised if Lee doesn't major Bresser, or worse.

Tomasello is nickel tough. Should be a great match, but I predict NATO wins, 8-5.

Geez guys talk about shooting the messenger. Cletus is essentially trying to tell us that he was as skeptical as the next guy but sat down with someone with inside knowledge and became convinced. Since none of us are privy to the info Cletus got how can we know. He even made clear that picking Lee defies logic but whatever the hell the Hulk told him swayed him. It’s like a religious experience and faith. You can’t argue with it but you also should not ignore it.

Geez guys talk about shooting the messenger. Cletus is essentially trying to tell us that he was as skeptical as the next guy but sat down with someone with inside knowledge and became convinced. Since none of us are privy to the info Cletus got how can we know. He even made clear that picking Lee defies logic but whatever the hell the Hulk told him swayed him. It’s like a religious experience and faith. You can’t argue with it but you also should not ignore it.

yeah but we all know the only guy with inside knowledge drinks PBRs so he clearly knows nothing ... unless of course ... nah that can't be ...

Remember Schlatter lost to DiSalvo.  That one loss didn't seem to make him fold.  The agenda is clear, but, in clown like fashion, focusing solely on 1 controversial loss, and a DEFAULT to 6th, is laughable.  He has also dominated 2 AA's so far.

I am not going to pick a TF over a 5th year senior who has made it to NCAA's undefeated the past 2 seasons taking 3rd both seasons and finishing as an NCAA Champ the year before.  But, losing to that DOES NOT hurt him in the least and winning would simply be a bonus!

yeah but we all know the only guy with inside knowledge drinks PBRs so he clearly knows nothing ... unless of course ... nah that can't be ...

I thought the RBF was a nice touch. I can you this, say what you will about Cletus’ post but from where I sit he made the match that much more interesting.

Pffft, Cletus knows we're all just shooting **** here.