Cletus, there is no accounting for blind loyalty. Even worse when it is fans still living in the shadow of Dan Gable years.

Iowa these days spends time rebuilding at various weights, not reloading as in the past. New coach shows up and has success for the first three years and then it drops off. Still tough but not #1. That hurts those who grew up with "Gable is God" and "Chuck Norris checks under his bed for Dan Gable before going to sleep" mentality.

Zalesky was excellent and a gentlaman.

Brands is good, over-excitable and a mutant P.T. Barnum.

Iowa is good. One of the best third place programs in the country.

Whatever Lee does I hope he is competitive and gives us a good match. Win or lose, it should be good. I think Brands & Co will get him going so the NCAA tournament is a realistic goal. Whether he makes it to the top or not it should be interesting.

I went through this with Brent Metcalf.   I never cared much for Brent while he was  a Hawk, but my buddy the Hulkster brought me around on him once he graduated.   And you guys saw the change.   I became one of Brent's biggest supporters.       So much so to where it blinded me.   Who did I pick at the Olympic trials?   Yes that would be Brent Metcalf.       I am not ashamed to admit that.  My prognostication results on this board are usually magnificent, but I do admit I have taken some losses betting on Brent.    That said, here we go again.      Against all odds, I am selecting Spencer Lee to win.     That is my pick and that's what I am standing by.    

I have had the pleasure of meeting several members of this board and it is always a gas!     I look forward to Cleveland in March and the Open, trials, etc.    

Spencer Lee will win.  

Guys I've been giving it a lot of thought and I need to present this here.    I  finally got in contact with my buddy, former Hawk at the University of Iowa.    He's been smarting from the Lee defeat at Midlands and 6th place finish to the point he had not returned any of my efforts at communication.   He finally called me this morning and came clean.  I met him up at the Pizza Palace off Magnolia and we threw back a couple root beer floats.    It was good seeing him shake off the shame and humiliation and finally begin to move on.   

I have to tell you guys, I promised I'd deliver inside info from within the walls of Carver Hawkeye when it became available.      My buddy is telling me Lee is going to win Vs Ohio State.    Yes I know to most of you this will come off as silly and perhaps even delusional, but the sales job he did on me regarding Lee going forward really left me thinking.  Is my buddy merely doubling down in a desperate effort to preserve face, or is Lee about to shock the wrestling fan base and show us what he's capable of?        I told him, I said:

Lee wasn't able to pace top 5 at Midlands,   

Lee was held to a single point.

Lee got beat by a kid who's never stood on the podium.   

Lee has a trend of taking lumps vs 125 pounders (Fix, Desanto, Bresser).

None the less I was given a guaratnee Lee wins against Ohio State.    I'm going to follow my buddies word.  I'm going to go with his assessment and prognostication. 

Lee over Ohio State, that's my call.   Who's with me? 

I would say that your buddy has inside information that Nato wont be wrestling

I am Russian! but i think Midlands is no tournamen when u can sya "i win Midlands  now i am NCAA legend" no, impossible, it is no this tournament like Yarygin or Olympics in Freestyle, no! We need see "new LEE", "new version of Lee"! The 6th place in Midlands   is toooooooooooooo little result, too little! we'll see what will happen in Ohio! i hope he win c:

Abdullah I get it.   You see the all world international resume on Lee and you instantly believe he must be the best wrestler on the planet.    A 3 time world champion?      That's nearly unheard of.    But as I've told you previously on other conversations, that was against 110 pound children and it was in freestyle.   This is American Folk style and it's against MUCH bigger and more mature men.    6th at Midlands is not chopped liver.   Many of us on this board were very vocal about expecting the 3 time PA state champ to take some lumps once he reached college and it really should not come as any surprise that we're seeing some struggles.    But I have good news for Lee fan base.   They've made a couple adjustments over there in Iowa City with Lee and a handful of us are expecting him to win this very big up coming bout.    

Who are Lee's workout partners? I assume Gilman. Do either of the Brands still roll?

I double checked with Hulk if it's appropriate to reveal this and he said it's to do with a key training dynamic and he told me to keep what he's shared under raps.   I can disclose we did specifically discuss training partners at our meeting.   I can't go into it further at this time as it could tip the hand of some of what's cooking in Iowa City.    I hope to be able to disclose some of the details shortly after the match, if at all.    

I double checked with Hulk if it's appropriate to reveal this and he said it's to do with a key training dynamic and he told me to keep what he's shared under raps.   I can disclose we did specifically discuss training partners at our meeting.   I can't go into it further at this time as it could tip the hand of some of what's cooking in Iowa City.    I hope to be able to disclose some of the details shortly after the match, if at all.   

Now we're all in trouble because this means Lee is pinning PD3 in the room and will get better grades in the classroom as well.

This is why PD3 is not on these boards. He aches so much from Lee pinning him, taking him down so often he can't type.

Cletus is the opposite of a troll. He never bashed anyone. He has a consistent story to tell and absorbs a lot of body blows without striking back. Don’t get me wrong, I love a good troll from time to time, it just happens that Cletus ain’t one of them.

Cletus is the opposite of a troll. He never bashed anyone. He has a consistent story to tell and absorbs a lot of body blows without striking back. Don’t get me wrong, I love a good troll from time to time, it just happens that Cletus ain’t one of them.

Thanks for the laugh.

The best troll would be consistent no?

course could say the same for KMF, similar in an opposite sort of way ... like PBRs vs RBFs ... wait a minute ...

Come on Cletus, you know that wasn't a "legit" 6th place finish at Midlands. Lee would've easily roasted all the guys in consos if he hadn't been pulled. Plus that "loss" was pretty iffy too, in my opinion. Bresser ran the entire match and probably should've been hit for at least 1 stalling point (imo). Next time they wrestle I'd be surprised if Lee doesn't major Bresser, or worse.

Tomasello is nickel tough. Should be a great match, but I predict NATO wins, 8-5.

He'll likely beat him but as everybody seems to be learning Bresser is a 'you may beat him but it is gonna be ugly'type of guy.

I thought the RBF was a nice touch. I can you this, say what you will about Cletus’ post but from where I sit he made the match that much more interesting.

I hope you enjoyed it as much as I did.    I sat with the Hulk and I told him he had better not have made me look bad to the guys at themat.com.   Their opinions matter a lot to me and I was going to be angry if I was made out to be anything short of exactly spot on.     I have to hand it to the Hulster, he was dead on.    It was tough for me to see it as he said it would happen, but it did make perfect sense.    He broke down the rest of his schedule and whoa!          Very exciting.   

I hope you enjoyed it as much as I did.    I sat with the Hulk and I told him he had better not have made me look bad to the guys at themat.com.   Their opinions matter a lot to me and I was going to be angry if I was made out to be anything short of exactly spot on.     I have to hand it to the Hulster, he was dead on.    It was tough for me to see it as he said it would happen, but it did make perfect sense.    He broke down the rest of his schedule and whoa!          Very exciting.   

I don't know how I could enjoy it as much as you given all you knew, but I was on the edge of my seat and needed a couple of root beer floats to calm myself down at the end of the match. Best match in ages. So my question to you: was the way Lee won what you expected? Did it all make sense ?

I don't know how I could enjoy it as much as you given all you knew, but I was on the edge of my seat and needed a couple of root beer floats to calm myself down at the end of the match. Best match in ages. So my question to you: was the way Lee won what you expected? Did it all make sense ?

It's like there was a script and I had a copy in my lap.    Again, all credit to Hulk.    I know now, and I can now apply the points Hulk revealed going forward, but all the credit goes to the big man in Iowa city.   

I picked up a copy of the Incredible Hulk DVD and I'll be mailing it to his office in the morning with a kind note thanking him for all he does for me.    Don't ever say all Hawks are dumb jocks with no brain and no social skills.  Hulk is living proof the statement is false.   

It's like there was a script and I had a copy in my lap.    Again, all credit to Hulk.    I know now, and I can now apply the points Hulk revealed going forward, but all the credit goes to the big man in Iowa city.   

I picked up a copy of the Incredible Hulk DVD and I'll be mailing it to his office in the morning with a kind note thanking him for all he does for me.    Don't ever say all Hawks are dumb jocks with no brain and no social skills.  Hulk is living proof the statement is false.   

I love it ... so good

It was a great outing for Lee.      His ability to get to the 2 on 1 and slow things down was a big part of the reason for the success, the other being the tough ride he put on.  This enabled him to shorten the match and win in the shortened time frame.    Does this make him the better wrestler?   No it doesn't, but he's certainly in the group of best 4 or 5 guys in the weight class.  He out tactic NATO today and got one from the Ohio State stand out.   We'll likely see this bout another couple times   in the next month and a half and they should all be great with adjustment and counter adjustment.   And yes we've gone over counter adjustment to the adjustment with the Hulk.  

I don't know anything about college wrestling but just popped in here. Good to see Cletus is  as accurate in his predictions here as he is for international freestyle. 

Shiraz it's tough some times.    You know very well I took some lumps riding Brent Metcalf until the wheels came off and those defeats smart even today.    But it made it to where i needed to be very accurate in my other picks, if I were to maintain prognostication credibility.    Lee did all the work today and some clever tactic design by one of the club guys (I'm not able to disclose who) was key to keeping him in the bout and putting him in position to win.     

Shiraz you'll recall we met at the trials couple years ago where I was in my Iowa Hawk gold and black.   What happened later in the afternoon is embarrassing but I think we can laugh about it now.    Ol'  Cletus  nearly got booted from the arena for excessive passion and colorful gestures after the Brent bout where he was eliminated.     Again thanks for the classy move to pretend it wasn't me when security inquired and providing replacement gear as part of my disguise.    

It was a great outing for Lee.      His ability to get to the 2 on 1 and slow things down was a big part of the reason for the success, the other being the tough ride he put on.  This enabled him to shorten the match and win in the shortened time frame.    Does this make him the better wrestler?   No it doesn't, but he's certainly in the group of best 4 or 5 guys in the weight class.  He out tactic NATO today and got one from the Ohio State stand out.   We'll likely see this bout another couple times   in the next month and a half and they should all be great with adjustment and counter adjustment.   And yes we've gone over counter adjustment to the adjustment with the Hulk.  

I guess it turned out ok for Lee and what do you think about the way that Lee widened the gap on NATO and Picc?  Lee had NATO down, by a major had NATO gotten off his back and he had Picc down 15-1 when he pinned him after only beating him 10-5 earlier in the season when he was still coming back and getting his conditioning back and leg to 100%.  So, now, you look like a genius citing Lee winning against NATO the first time, especially, since his 3 world titles were against children and now he was wrestling men...  I guess he did just fine against the men as well.  What a showing at nationals, the brace came off and he showed why he is a 3X World Champ and one of the nations future stars.