Sign in to follow this  
gowrestle

Best Wrestling Book

Dale Anderson,two-time NCAA champion for Michigan State and a leader of the 1967 team that won the NCAA title, has written a superb book called "A Spartan Journey: Michigan State's 1967 Miracle on the Mat". It has lots of great stories about Anderson at West Waterloo High School in Iowa, where he was a teammate of Dan Gable, and then his years at East Lansing, with people like Doug Blubaugh. Lots of history from that era. Ben Peterson, 1972 Olympic champion, wrote a book called "Road to Gold" which tells about Ben and his brother John, also an Olympic champion, growing up in a small farm community in Wisconsin and their drive to succeed. Very inspirational. Mike Chapman, creator of WIN magazine and the Dan Hodge Trophy, has written 29 books including 17 on wrestling. They can be found on his web site. The ones with the most history are "Legends of the Mat" which has biographies of 34 of America's finest wrestlers, and "The Super Book of Wrestling Trivia and History" which is loaded with history going back 5000 years. I think all three -- Anderson, Peterson and Chapman -- will be at the WIN show during the NCAA tournament in Cleveland, with their books.

Don't know if these books "tell the real story of Civilization's Oldest and Greatest Sport", but here are 2 books that I thought were very good, if not excellent.

1. Elite Wrestling - moves for success on and beyond the mat. Authored by head coach Tom Ryan and Julie Sampson. A wonderful easy reading book that includes 28 chapters, with each chapter having a different author writing about a different wrestling topic. Some of the different authors that contributed to the chapters were Tom and Terry Brands, Dan Gable, Donald Rumsfeld, Stephen Neal, Carl Adams, Ben Peterson, Jay Weiss, just to name a few.

2. The Silent Gladiators - the world's greatest wrestlers, the world's oldest sport. Authored by Nicholas A. Hopping. It's been a while since I read this lengthy book, but Hopping goes into great detail about the 2004 Olympic trials, 2004 Olympic Games and the epic battles between Cael Sanderson and Lee Fullhart. He also writes about USA's "controversial" hiring of Russian coach Sergei Beloglazov, and even has a chapter on Mamiashvili. Couldn't put this book down at times. Fascinating.

The Silent Gladiators had its moments and had some interesting stories, but it was one of the tougher reads I’d experienced. Some factual errors here and there not withstanding, it’s one of the struggles with self publishing things. At one point, an entire section of a chapter was repeated. No matter how good a story is, it just was a lesson in persistence to finish it. If it could be fine-tuned, it would have been an A+.

JasonBryant, on 20 Jan 2018 - 8:55 PM, said:JasonBryant, on 20 Jan 2018 - 8:55 PM, said:

The Silent Gladiators had its moments and had some interesting stories, but it was one of the tougher reads I’d experienced. Some factual errors here and there not withstanding, it’s one of the struggles with self publishing things. At one point, an entire section of a chapter was repeated. No matter how good a story is, it just was a lesson in persistence to finish it. If it could be fine-tuned, it would have been an A+.

I agree and I was wondering about it being 100% accurate. The author himself said how difficult it was to get interviews, accurate information, etc if I remember correctly. It's been a few years since I read it.  

Also didn't think all the profanity and vulgarity was necessary. Anyway, some very fascinating wrestling stuff in there.  

Edited by 2td3nf

I said essentially the same thing in 2008 when I read it and Hopping came after me with a scathing response that was something along the lines of I didn’t know what it took because I wasn’t in a D1 room. Guy didn’t take constructive criticism too well. (admittedly, I don’t either all the time).

Is that the one where the Brands sexually harass the female trainer by purposely walking around naked, then laugh about it?

It was by accident and the trainer didn't seem to care too much.  She even said in the book something like how it took her longer the previous season to see somebody naked.  

Is that the one where the Brands sexually harass the female trainer by purposely walking around naked, then laugh about it?

It was by accident and the trainer didn't seem to care too much.  She even said in the book something like how it took her longer the previous season to see somebody naked.  

yeah that's my recall as well. not an issue.  

Not taking sides on this, but in the #metoo generation, everyone needs to tow the line.  What used to be more or less innocent and funny is now considered harassment and can get somebody fired and in a sh!tload of trouble.  That being said, I enjoyed the book as well.

Edited by KCMO2

Not taking sides on this, but in the #metoo generation, everyone needs to tow the line.  What used to be more or less innocent and funny is now considered harassment and can get somebody fired and in a sh!tload of trouble.  That being said, I enjoyed the book as well.

Even now something like what happened wouldn't be an issue.  Regardless of your gender if you're around a college team in the locker room in that type of capacity, you're going to see something like that.  It wasn't like Brands whipped it out or anything, he just walked in from the shower or something not knowing she was there.  It obviously didn't phase her one bit.  I mean later in the book she was talking about peeing in the whirlpool or something so it seemed like she wasn't traumatized or cared much about seeing Brands naked for a couple seconds.  

An excerpt from my bio "Blood on the Mat":

"I required a quadruple stitched, extra large crotch in my wrestling singlet. Per religious requirement I demanded it to be lined with mink fur on the inside and that it be emblazoned in finest white turtledove feathers on the outside. "