Sign in to follow this  
WildTurkey44

Spencer Lee!

Tomasello should thank his lucky stars he had this match; he can at least gameplan for Lee now. Would have been devastating to have this "surprise" hit him for the first time at NCAAs (though less devastating at Big Tens).

Edited by Fletcher

Spencer is gonna have to be able to take the elite guys down from his feet if he’s gonna run the gauntlet at the the Big Ten tourney and especially the nationals. Against Bresser/Picc/Nato he’s 2-1 and has 1 takedown in all 3 matches.

The rematch should go down in the big 10 semis. It will be interesting to see what adjustments both guys make

So the BIG10 seeds will probably be:

1: Suriano

2/3: Tomasello/Lee  (Will Lee be 2 given the head-to-head even though he has the worse loss? Guess it doesn't really matter)

4: Lizak

Suriano would have probably been the 1 seed, regardless, but now there is no doubt. If Lee had lost, there is a chance that he would have been the 4 seed (though Lizak apparently lost last night). I see the current likely seedings as potentially a big advantage for Suriano. Can't see Lizak challenging him the way he has been wrestling.

Edited by Crotalus

The thing that excites me is Lee's potential to improve from now till March merely by getting in better shape and gaining confidence in his knee. No other wrestler has so much scope for improvement.

I think Nato has a chance to improve greatly too. Don't forget, NCAA finals is in his home town too.  He needs to work on his finishing though. You can bet he wont take down though. 4 minutes plus on feet. 

If NATO doesn't choose bottom, how does this change the match?  Lee's reattacks looked like they had potential, but he wasn't too close to finishing his own shot.  I'd imagine going forward not too many people are going to pick bottom in matches with him. 

If NATO doesn't choose bottom, how does this change the match?  Lee's reattacks looked like they had potential, but he wasn't too close to finishing his own shot.  I'd imagine going forward not too many people are going to pick bottom in matches with him. 

I don't think it flips the match, it is not like the 2x Jr World Champion is bad on his feet.  And if opponents start to be afraid to take bottom, then they are basically conceding him a point, because he'll take bottom and get the escape. 

I think this 'don't choose bottom' is just wishful thinking on the part of Nato fans -- hey, your guy got beat, but it was a great match.  The re-match should also be great. 

Lee doesn't get the riding time point and they start the period in neutral where Nato was slightly superior.

If Nato believes next time around he cannot get out from under what happens? Let's say it goes like this

1st period: 0-0

If Nato has choice, what should he do and what happens?

If Nato believes next time around he cannot get out from under what happens? Let's say it goes like this

1st period: 0-0

If Nato has choice, what should he do and what happens?

nuetral: 2nd period 0-0

Lee chooses neutral just to prove can win from feet, 3rd 0-0

SV1 0-0

TB1 Lee rides out 0-0

TB2 somehow Nato rides out 0-0

SV2 0-0

TB3 Lee warning pushing out on ride but rides Nato out 0-0

TB4 Lee escape but backs out stall pt 1-1

SV3 1-1

TB5 Nato somehow escapes 2-1

TB6 Lee escapes 2-2

whoops forgot to keep track of ride time TB3/4 need to start over ;)

nuetral: 2nd period 0-0

Lee chooses neutral just to prove can win from feet, 3rd 0-0

SV1 0-0

TB1 Lee rides out 0-0

TB2 somehow Nato rides out 0-0

SV2 0-0

TB3 Lee warning pushing out on ride but rides Nato out 0-0

TB4 Lee escape but backs out stall pt 1-1

SV3 1-1

TB5 Nato somehow escapes 2-1

TB6 Lee escapes 2-2

whoops forgot to keep track of ride time TB3/4 need to start over ;)

Lol, but wouldn't Lee choose top third period? 

So the BIG10 seeds will probably be:

1: Suriano

2/3: Tomasello/Lee  (Will Lee be 2 given the head-to-head even though he has the worse loss? Guess it doesn't really matter)

4: Lizak

Suriano would have probably been the 1 seed, regardless, but now there is no doubt. If Lee had lost, there is a chance that he would have been the 4 seed (though Lizak apparently lost last night). I see the current likely seedings as potentially a big advantage for Suriano. Can't see Lizak challenging him the way he has been wrestling.

I don't know about Big Tens but I think Lizak will do much better at NCAAs where there's lots of space between rounds, as opposed to individual dual meets. He just has to get past his early matches on day 1 and 2. 

About Spencer Lee getting winded, how much of his conditioning is due to his injury vs. the difference in size with his opponents? I guess it could also be that he isn't used to wrestling a whole lot of matches that run the full duration, haha. Anyway, Lee uses his hips and leverage wisely but it seems like he probably expends a lot of energy working against 125ers who are simply much bigger than he is. This should correct itself in the offseason through nutrition and hitting the gym. Dake and Taylor should send him their weight-gain programs.

I don't know about Big Tens but I think Lizak will do much better at NCAAs where there's lots of space between rounds, as opposed to individual dual meets. He just has to get past his early matches on day 1 and 2. 

About Spencer Lee getting winded, how much of his conditioning is due to his injury vs. the difference in size with his opponents? I guess it could also be that he isn't used to wrestling a whole lot of matches that run the full duration, haha. Anyway, Lee uses his hips and leverage wisely but it seems like he probably expends a lot of energy working against 125ers who are simply much bigger than he is. This should correct itself in the offseason through nutrition and hitting the gym. Dake and Taylor should send him their weight-gain programs.

Good question, I don't know but I have lately been wondering about small 125 pounders vs small 174 pounders (for example, Hall). Seems like a small 125 pounder gets a lot more attention re smallness than a small 174 pounder. I think it's because a small 125 pounder can't choose to go to a lower weight and therefore has not chosen to be undersized. But so many great wrestlers are not fully sized for their weights and its fine. I don't know how many exactly but there's a lot. I mean look at Nato. He had to have been a small 133 pounder. Dake a small everything pounder. Didn't hurt him. At the ultra-elite level maybe being undersized isn't that big a deal. 

Lol, but wouldn't Lee choose top third period?

No he chooses neutral (in my scenario) to prove he can win it that way, just like Nato chose down to prove he could get out. Next time they both chose smart way. ;)