Sign in to follow this  
Greatdane67

Stoll MIA?

If I am on the seeding committee or a ranker I go with whatever I think happened, kinda like how jurists are allowed to trust their own life experience when deciding on how much weight to give any piece of evidence.

So no, I would not give Gross an L since I did not believe he ducked Montori Bridges, but I would give Stoll an L since I believe he/Brands DID duck Snyder.

I’m sure Bridges feels different as he was probably looking forward to that top 5 matchup.

It's too bad that the seeding algorithm for nationals can't put (a lot) more weight into the # of matches wrestled. You don't want guys who are injured, sick, or in academic trouble to compete when they shouldn't and make things worse.

Maybe rework the RPI with an advanced metric that emphasizes strength of record based on how difficult (or not) it would be to achieve, considering the # of top ranked opponents, scoring differential, location (home, away, neutral), travel distance, weight differential (based on weigh-in), # of days rest since last match, etc. - kind of like ESPN's BPI. Most of the analytics are already captured in WrestleStat.

Pretty sure it's already in the criteria.

I’m sure Bridges feels different as he was probably looking forward to that top 5 matchup.

Well if he's good enough he will get that match at the big 12s.  Pretty simple.  It was not a duck and will be settled on the mat.

I'm not trying to say anything bad about the young man.  Love to see the wyomings and sdsu schools getting and producing great wrestlers.

If I am on the seeding committee or a ranker I go with whatever I think happened, kinda like how jurists are allowed to trust their own life experience when deciding on how much weight to give any piece of evidence. 

I'm fine with rankings taking this or (other factors) into account as a judgement call.  That's part rankings, IMO.

Seeding is a little different - at least at NCAA's, seeding is based on a very specific and objective criteria.  However, that criteria does include the Coaches' Ranking, and also - doesn't reward a wrestler much for ducking an opponent.

With the help from the 3 inch binder, Tom is rebranding the Iowa program. They are no longer the rip your eyes out, tough kids on the block because now they are having a blast. After last night's match they are even renaming their mascot. From here on out they are no longer to be known as the Iowa Hawkeyes, but as the Iowa Ducks.

Edited by greco_gilligan

Stoll at best will finish 6th at B1Gs

If he makes it to the semis, big if, he will default to 6th. Otherwise he wrestles to the first available allocation.

At this point he is a 4 seed and will have an improving Hemida in the quarters.

Sent from my XT1710-02 using Tapatalk

Word is that brands knows he is on the hot seat and a top 3 guy losing may push him out completely. Once you break that threshold you aren't allowed to wrestle a higher seed (knowing you will likely lose), you can only complain about other teams doing the same.

The voices in your head don't count as a source. 

Who were the two guys that he was injured against? Boyce Cornwell and Austin Scheaffer, a pair of bumped up 197's. He could get hurt against anyone. If he is that fragile maybe he shouldn't be wrestling. 

He was first hurt vs Gwiz dumb ass. 

The problem is the" Iowa tough guy attitude" that Brands can't back up.

Its really pathetic for Iowa and Brands.

I've always supported Brands, but this duck job for Stoll is pathetic for a team that used to be the toughest team around.

Sent from my XT1254 using Tapatalk

Liar

Edited by BLT

Stoll at best will finish 6th at B1Gs

If he makes it to the semis, big if, he will default to 6th. Otherwise he wrestles to the first available allocation.

At this point he is a 4 seed and will have an improving Hemida in the quarters.

Sent from my XT1710-02 using Tapatalk

Based on what?  The match against Snyder didn't matter, but Top 3 at B1G's sure as hell does.

He is currently 4-0 against B1G competition and Nevills is 4-1.  I expect to see him finish the remainder of their regular season schedule.  So, he drops 1 to Coon, but once he beats Nevills at PSU, he will be 7-1 in B1G competition and end up the 3 seed.

Number of matches is only 5% of the criteria, basically a tiebreaker.

without looking it up I'd say it's more than that. Not enough matches and you don't get a RIP, strength of schedule is depending on # of, the coaches rankings could take a view of # of as well as skipping key matches, too few matches can hurt head to head, etc.

Based on what? The match against Snyder didn't matter, but Top 3 at B1G's sure as hell does.

He is currently 4-0 against B1G competition and Nevills is 4-1. I expect to see him finish the remainder of their regular season schedule. So, he drops 1 to Coon, but once he beats Nevills at PSU, he will be 7-1 in B1G competition and end up the 3 seed.

I don't have him beating Nevills.

Truth be told, if it was up to me... I would avoid both matches and save the knee. Get Stoll to Cleveland as healthy as possible.

Sent from my P00I using Tapatalk

The allocation and seeding criteria needs an overhaul because from a purely "what is best for March" perspective having Stoll duck Snyder was 100% the right thing to do. But from a sport of wrestling perspective it was a terrible thing to do.  And it isn't like this is an isolated incident (or in any way isolated to one team).  It's a problem for college wrestling that is getting worse each season. 

I've only been following for 10 years or so, and while I can't remember this kind of thing happening as much historically, I do remember everyone and their mother ducking Konrad back in the day.  I wonder if it truly is objectively getting worse or if we are looking at the past with rose colored glasses?  Not sure. 

more wrestlers should skip the "doesn't matter" matches. I expect no one will wrestle Snyder at b10 or NCAAs as it "doesn't matter" they can't beat him. Let's grow the sport with more "doesn't matter matches. ;_;

I hate that it doesn't matter and it DOES matter to me.  However, the current DI wrestling system truly, almost exclusively, only values having a solid record and placing well at your Conference to attain a solid seed.  Then, add in a guy that missed his 1st 2 NCAA Tournaments due to injuries that required surgery.  Of course, you are going to manage him with kid gloves.

With that said, you know how ridiculous your conclusion is.  Of course, come B1G's and NCAA's everyone will try.  That less than 1% chance actually matters then.

Remember, I have been a major proponent of the dual component and finding a way to make all matches really matter.  I don't like that sitting wrestlers go on.  But, again, that is from a fan perspective.  Blaming(for doing), and/or expecting coaches not to do this is a waste of time.  They are going to do what they think is best for the individuals and the team in the post season.  Because, yet again,  THAT IS ALL THAT MATTERS IN DI WRESTLING,PERIOD!

Yes you did then jumped ship to the tOSU...Without Mr. Snyder they (tOSU) are just 3-5 or worse

P.S. Who will your next team be???

The problem is the" Iowa tough guy attitude" that Brands can't back up.

Its really pathetic for Iowa and Brands.

I've always supported Brands, but this duck job for Stoll is pathetic for a team that used to be the toughest team around.

Sent from my XT1254 using Tapatalk