Sign in to follow this  
tlegs8960

South East Wrestling

I'm sure this has been covered before, but I'm just curious if anyone has an explanation as to why the Midwest/North Eastern areas of the US are so much further ahead than the South East? I've read about mediocre wrestlers moving from PA or NJ and being 2 time state champs in South Carolina.  I specifically remember in high school we had a 4 time SC state champion on our team with the SC career win record and we went to a dual tournament near the PA line. He got beat 5 times that weekend.  (Not just beaten embarrassed).  Just curious if anyone could shed some light on what they do differently up there. Thanks. 

I'm sure this has been covered before, but I'm just curious if anyone has an explanation as to why the Midwest/North Eastern areas of the US are so much further ahead than the South East? I've read about mediocre wrestlers moving from PA or NJ and being 2 time state champs in South Carolina.  I specifically remember in high school we had a 4 time SC state champion on our team with the SC career win record and we went to a dual tournament near the PA line. He got beat 5 times that weekend.  (Not just beaten embarrassed).  Just curious if anyone could shed some light on what they do differently up there. Thanks. 

Not just the Southeast.  I've seen two 4x California state champs wrestle PA kids and get their lunches served to them.  And that's all the 4x CA state champs there are.  Not intended as a slam on CA, those bouts were just one of those things.

Actually the southeast is starting to develop some wrestlers.  Of course Florida has great wrestling. GA is improving quickly.  There are PA/NJ kids going south to coach, and that will tighten the gap as well.  

invariably, it's all about coaching.  And PA, with so many college wrestling programs, has an abundance of great wrestlers giving back to the sport on the  youth/high school level.  It's kind of a self-fulfilling prophecy.  

When done well, I'll take either grits or scrapple. Poorly done, I'll pass.

The best grits I ever had was at a New Orleans B&B http://www.ashtonsbb.com/en-us/breakfast.

The best scrapple was from a small country butchers in Northern Berks county - don't know if it still is around since that was about 40 years ago.

Being in Pittsburgh I have access to neither. But Anthony Bourdain http://www.foodandwine.com/news/anthony-bourdain-best-places-eat-america says Pittsburgh is one of the more interesting places to eat right now so all is not lost.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Edited by swoopdown

When done well, I'll take either grits or scrapple. Poorly done, I'll pass.

The best grits I ever had was at a New Orleans B&B http://www.ashtonsbb.com/en-us/breakfast.

The best scrapple was from a small country butchers in Northern Berks county - don't know if it still is around since that was about 40 years ago.

Being in Pittsburgh I have access to neither. But Anthony Bourdain http://www.foodandwine.com/news/anthony-bourdain-best-places-eat-america says Pittsburgh is one of the more interesting places to eat right now so all is not lost.

What? No access to Scrapple in Pittsburgh? I thought Pennsylvania was built on Scrapple/granite?

Edited by TobusRex

Because Southerners are feeble weaklings, mainly.

What? No access to Scrapple in Pittsburgh? I thought Pennsylvania was built on Scrapple/granite?

Western PA is more a Kolbassi town. (Pittsburgh surf and turf is kolbassi and catfish .... and built on steel).

No Scrapple in Pittsburgh? Can't be.

I use to need to take my brother, in California, Lebanon Bologna. But he got access to that like 25 years ago.

Then I needed to take Scrapple, but he can get that.

Now I need to take Liver Pudding.   

When my brother was wrestling at Miami of Ohio, we used to take him Scrapple and Tastykakes when we went to visit.  

But I've lived in Eastern PA all my life and have never tasted Scrapple.  Never intend to, either.

btw, Jason Bryant:  my wife is a lifelong Southerner, and she thinks the very idea of cheese grits is disgusting.She wants her grits unsullied by cheese.

I just assume everyone who doesn't like Scrapple is secretly an ISIS fanatic doing everything to avoid swine products. 

You can rest easy....although I hate scrapple I adore SPAM. Don't see many turbaned guys eating SPAM!

Edited by TobusRex