Sign in to follow this  
OkieChippewa

How many "firable" wrestling coaches are there?

Iowa, if a title isn't produced in the next 3 years. Fans are losing patience.

I hear people talking about this all the time; is this really a thing though?  Are there any legitimate Iowa fans on here that feel that way?  I feel like this is a false narrative that non-Iowa fans are trying to push.

Yes Iowa has taken a back seat to Penn State, but so has every other team.  When was the last time Minnesota or Okie State won a title?  These things are cyclical.  Whats so amazing about Penn State is they are essentially on their second four year cycle of winning and showing no signs of slowing down

Everyone is expendable at some point, it all depends on the whims of those holding the cash. The Brands are favored sons today, but not putting up a title soon is going to give wealthy boosters pause. Money speaks loudest

Except Rambo.

I don't mean how many coaches are doing a poor job.

Seriously, how many schools would fire a wrestling coach as long as he is graduating kids and has no scandals?  What schools is wrestling paramount to their "Brand"?

Great question. I think it comes down to how expectations are managed. At some schools, I guess you could have a wrestling team that does its job by helping to lift the overall APR, staying out of trouble and not rocking the boat. At others, administrators and fans expect the wrestling team to bring home hardware or rebuild the program to what it once was in the 80s or 90s or whatever.

Oklahoma, Iowa State, Arizona State, Michigan State, Indiana come to mind. I'm not saying the coaches are or should be fireable, more that they put themselves in the hot seat if they don't manage lofty expectations. Another is Stanford, where the athletics dept takes pride in having won the most NCAA championships and there's a bit of pressure to win titles at the individual and team level in all of its sports.

I hear people talking about this all the time; is this really a thing though?  Are there any legitimate Iowa fans on here that feel that way?  I feel like this is a false narrative that non-Iowa fans are trying to push.

The Brands are probably fine unless attendance for home meets drops significantly.