Sign in to follow this  
NJwrestlingguy

#3 Penn State vs #25 Rutgers..Live 1pm..Free

You have #3 vs #25?? What do you guys expect? Sure, Rutgers had Winston and Mason who did not develop as well as you would've thought but many schools have had guys that have not lived up to their billing. Penn State has such a handle on the top talent from the East that almost any eastern team is going to be lucky to win more than a few matches? Hell, they are top 5 at virtually every weight!

I look at kids like Theobold and Visicaro who wrestled tough and see that Rutgers was able to keep the majority of the bouts from pins(which many other teams have not been able to do). I am a Penn State fan but the arrogance of some penn state fans is getting very irritating. Criticizing wrestling fans for going out to watch the match despite the fact that it was destined to be one sided? That's what hurts our sport. I give credit to Rutgers and Gooddale for putting 3700 people in the seats, whether it is a credit to Penn State or Rutgers, does it matter?

I think Goodale is a long way from being on the hot seat, evidenced by his alleged contract extension and the direction he's taken the program in the last 4(?) years. Those of us who saw RU pre Goodale know how far the program has come despite lacking the AA's. Look at their dual record in this time. NCAA's are the pinnacle but not the only thing to look at. They are getting recruits, and packing the stands. Winston, Mason and Melde haven't exactly panned out and they need to take responsibility for that and work toward developing recruits they get. But I'd say they have another 3 years or so to prove they are capable of reaching yet another level before we start talking replacements.

I just got back from RU.This was the first time I had a chance to see either team this season.

The match was not as close as the score.

PSU was pretty much in control of every match.

The 2 worst matches for RU had to be Melde at 141 and Hwt.

Melde started off well,even got a 2 pt. near fall.He looked to be in control and then seemed to relax and got pinned.

At Hwt,Smith had a 2-0 lead in OT,then gave up an escape and a takedown.

Rinaldi was also a disappointment.He played the edge of the mat so much it cost him a point for staaling.

I mentioned Rinaldi already. It was just sad. Not sure he was even "playing the edge of the mat" on at least three occasions he was standing three feet out of bounds waiting for Ruth to approach him. Then at least three times Ruth tried to cut him and he would reach up and pull Ruth back on him as if it was mma and he was pulling guard.

I probably should have mentioned Seidenberg but there were times when he wrestled tough. The last minute though after his TD of Wright he hung on for life to a leg while he was down three points...... there was absolutely zero attempt to win there in the waning minute.

On the glass half full side of things, RU didn't do any worse than Indiana or Michigan State today.

And, joining the Big Ten can't but help with recruiting.

Personally, I question whether Goodale and his staff are biting off more than they can chew coaching-wise. I'm all for dreaming big, in principle, but what makes Goodale think he can keep up with a Sanderson, a Brands, or a J-Rob? He's never even had an All-American.

Glad to see folks are "Paying Attention"!!!

P.S. What was the attendance at the National Duals?

Hats off to RVision!!!

P.S. 5500 in attendance!!!

3557 was announced

True, but rounding up by a couple of thousand is the latest strategy for improving dual attendance. ;)

I think some of you are being too hard on Rinaldi. I think he was attempting to avoid the cradle by standing up into it. Rinaldi always wrestles tough, but against Ruth, he was outmatched, and the last thing he wanted was to get pinned.

As far as Rutgers goes, this was the year they were supposed to make their mark. I am not sure they have done that, and they will be taking a step back in the immediate future....

Rutgers apologists will attack anyone who says things there aren't great, but they are going to have to replace Langel, Melde, WInston, Zanetti, and RInaldi next year, and will be moving to a much more difficult conference. On the bright side, Theobold shows a lot of heart, and Smith seems to have a lot of potential.

Theobold is a tough kid, but he was far from a blue chipper and IMO isn't necessarily cut out to be successful in the Big 10. Smith is another tough kid, and he's already better than I thought he'd be at this level.

I like RU, and I want to see their program do well. That said, I still believe they need to bring in a top level assistant in addition to Molinaro to help develop talent.

I think some of you are being too hard on Rinaldi. I think he was attempting to avoid the cradle by standing up into it. Rinaldi always wrestles tough, but against Ruth, he was outmatched, and the last thing he wanted was to get pinned.

I don't think even you believe that. Watch the replay when you get the chance. Ruth did himself no favors early by playing around and not shooting at all. After the action was finally started Ruth tried to bait him into his usual cradle but Rinaldi didn't bite. I don't blame him.

It was what happened in the next two periods that Rinaldi should be ashamed. There were several times when Rinaldi would walk himself three full feet out of bounds with 0 contact from Ruth. each time it should have been stalling.

After Ruth had abandoned the fall and was going to play cat and mouse he tried a few times to cut Rinaldi. Rinaldi wanted no part of that either. At one point, he reached back with both arms and pulled Ruth back onto his back. Other times instead of getting up he would grab an ankle and pull Ruth back on him.

No doubt the guy was outmatched, but who isn't at 184? With the dual all but over already, it was pretty sad display in my opinion. I'm glad Ruth didn't do anything stupid, but he looked pretty mad about it.

I have to agree with the 84 match. It was a pretty embarrassing display by the RU wrestler. The ref didn't help things any. If that match was at Iowa, there might have been about 10 stalling calls.

On a positive note for RU, I was impressed with how Viscairo (sp?) wrestled. Taylor had to legitimately work to get the major and the RU wrestler was going at him as best he could for the entire match.

Smith (HWT) has a chance to be very good. Little bit of a brain fart at the end of the match, but he wrestled well enough to win that match. Another year and I would expect big things out of him.

Many of the PSU fans in attendance (like me) were there because PSU never put up single match seats in Rec Hall up for sale. So, presumably all Rec Hall this year was sold out to Season ticket buyers.

Regarding the Lawson-Smith match, it went to SV tied 1-1. No one scored so it went to RO's. Smith went down first and escaped in his 30 seconds. It looked like Smith was going to ride out Lawson when in the last 10 seconds or so, he escaped...and got the TD just before 30 secs expired. Talk about cutting it close!

Many of the PSU fans in attendance (like me) were there because PSU never put up single match seats in Rec Hall up for sale. So, presumably all Rec Hall this year was sold out to Season ticket buyers.

Regarding the Lawson-Smith match, it went to SV tied 1-1. No one scored so it went to RO's. Smith went down first and escaped in his 30 seconds. It looked like Smith was going to ride out Lawson when in the last 10 seconds or so, he escaped...and got the TD just before 30 secs expired. Talk about cutting it close!

It's unfortunate that only season ticket holders can get tickets, hopefully they remedy that soon.

In the Lawson match, as you know if you were there, the reason Lawson was almost ridden was because he didn't move for the first 20 seconds of that RO period. In the end, he got the W, but he needs to use that speed of his way before that.

It's unfortunate that only season ticket holders can get tickets, hopefully they remedy that soon.

In the Lawson match, as you know if you were there, the reason Lawson was almost ridden was because he didn't move for the first 20 seconds of that RO period. In the end, he got the W, but he needs to use that speed of his way before that.

Yes, you're right about Lawson. I think he was just saving for one last ditch effort. Luckily for him it worked.

He pulled a Nico there by just sitting waiting for an opening.

Lawson is so explosive but he needs to use it more.

His tools for a HWT are ridiculous. He has all the potential in the world, I just wonder if he'll get the most out of it.

DAlton blowing out Winston is shocking.

Winston wrestled with 1 arm.

Yeah, his arm was heavily wrapped. Its a shame.

His best chance of AAing was his sophomore year followed by his true freshman year. Too many injuries, unlikely to make a strong run in March

Is Mason done? Haven't heard what is going on with him. He should have wrestled the other alton

wow, you guys are really ripping rinaldi. that kid has shown heart and toughness all year, one match against the top guy p4p in most opinions and your calling him an embarassment, thats sad comming from adults. I guess you didn't notice the bulky wrap on his knee? he's putting off getting it fixed till the seasons over, with the 2 biggest tournys off the year comming up, I think getting through that match without further injuries is the way to go. I guess it really is WHAT HAVE YOU DONE FOR ME LATELY. I still high hopes for the EIWA'S and beyond. good luck to the all the guys.

Not sure about Mason Scarlet Knight. I do know that I personally prefer Theobold though. He wrestles with an intensity and toughness that Mason never seemed to show. Mason is certainly the more skilled wrestler, but THeobold's losses seem easier to cheer than some of Mason's wins. What helps the team more, seeing a true fresh fight and scrap for every point while getting experience, or seeing a redshirt senior look disinterested? Just my opinion, and it is only from a fan perspective... I don't know anyone close to the program to say what goes on behind the scenes, or how appearances may not be representative of reality.

In response to above concerning my defense of RInaldi, you may be right and I may be trying to convince myself of something different than what I saw. Rinaldi seems like RUtgers best hope to get over that AA hump, and he always wrestles tough, so I was as suprised as anyone watching him in that match. THis was especially true after he got good penetration on a shot early, and looked as if he had every intention of making a match of it.

Not sure about Mason Scarlet Knight. I do know that I personally prefer Theobold though. He wrestles with an intensity and toughness that Mason never seemed to show. Mason is certainly the more skilled wrestler, but THeobold's losses seem easier to cheer than some of Mason's wins. What helps the team more, seeing a true fresh fight and scrap for every point while getting experience, or seeing a redshirt senior look disinterested? Just my opinion, and it is only from a fan perspective... I don't know anyone close to the program to say what goes on behind the scenes, or how appearances may not be representative of reality.

In response to above concerning my defense of RInaldi, you may be right and I may be trying to convince myself of something different than what I saw. Rinaldi seems like RUtgers best hope to get over that AA hump, and he always wrestles tough, so I was as suprised as anyone watching him in that match. THis was especially true after he got good penetration on a shot early, and looked as if he had every intention of making a match of it.

I now agree about mason. I dont think he cares like I expected him to. So let theobold wrestle in his place. mason has a win over molinaro! Its insane that he's not going high on the podium every year.

Ruth is one of a kind. It was Rinalds last match at home. Doesnt mean he wont go after everyone else in march and finish high.

Winston looks like a longshot. He rode Alton for maybe 2 seconds, then he struggled on bottom and faded in the 3rd. Same criticisms as before plus a weight cut and a shoulder injury. Too bad, he deserved more.

I was working the scorer's table at the mat that had the 157 weight class at the Nittany Lion Open...

I was very pleased to see the way Winston was wrestling. Then he injured the shoulder towards the end of the tournament and thought he was done. Couldn't believe it when he finished. It was like QW a couple years ago wrestling injured.

It sounds like the shoulder won't anywhere near 100% for the postseason. I see him now as a warrior battling through it. Hopefully there's enough for a podium finish.

I said this a while back, Goodale did a nice job growing the program, getting RU to invest and give 9.9 schollies, worked to get program back on the map, but honestly, he needs to step aside and get the reigns into the hands of big time coach. Someone who has collegiate championships or even better Olympic championships and put RU where it needs to be. He's just not the coach for building talent, but is the right to build a program, he should do the right things.