Sign in to follow this  
nom

Anyone have the actual story on PDIII?

Huh - post didn’t go through .. take 2 ...

I’m interested because:

1. The risk Iowa is taking - do second chances work?

2. He did show some goodness wrestling wise last year — all a flash in the pan or is there something really there?

3. If this does flame out - does pop show humility or does he continue looking foolish.

I don't believe that Downey is eligible for the One Time Transfer Exception as a graduate student because of multiple transfers. If that is in fact true, he would need to go through the Graduate Transfer Waiver process. Which I have listed:

Graduate Transfer Waiver

The graduate transfer waiver is now typically used by athletes who have previous transferred once before and so cannot use the one-time transfer exception (even as a graduate student).

A letter from the previous school saying it does not object to the student-athlete being eligible;

Documentation that the student-athlete has been accepted into a specific graduate degree program;

Documentation about whether that degree program is offered by the previous school;
A student-athlete statement including the reasons for the transfer; and

A statement from the previous institution about the student-athlete’s status on the team.

All that said it appears that ISU has some sway (which would be bull, since they asked him to leave). The biggest hurdle is the type of program he is enrolled in being specific to Iowa that he couldn't receive at ISU. In these type of cases I always side with the athlete. The NCAA holds these students to contracts that coaches and administrators are not held. Seems like things should be in the best interest of the athletes not the institutions. Just my opinion.

I don't believe that Downey is eligible for the One Time Transfer Exception as a graduate student because of multiple transfers. If that is in fact true, he would need to go through the Graduate Transfer Waiver process. Which I have listed:

Graduate Transfer Waiver

The graduate transfer waiver is now typically used by athletes who have previous transferred once before and so cannot use the one-time transfer exception (even as a graduate student).

A letter from the previous school saying it does not object to the student-athlete being eligible;

Documentation that the student-athlete has been accepted into a specific graduate degree program;

Documentation about whether that degree program is offered by the previous school;

A statement from the previous institution about the student-athlete’s status on the team.

All that said it appears that ISU has some sway (which would be bull, since they asked him to leave). The biggest hurdle is the type of program he is enrolled in being specific to Iowa that he couldn't receive at ISU. In these type of cases I always side with the athlete. The NCAA holds these students to contracts that coaches and administrators are not held. Seems like things should be in the best interest of the athletes not the institutions. Just my opinion.

Yeah, why all the red tape?  This would only be his fourth school, right?   You shouldn't need any paperwork until it is your seventh or eighth program.

I believe you answered your own questions.

1. Second chances didn't work in this case because he will never suit up.

2. He is a flash in the pan.

3. Dad will continue to mouth off, he is the Lavar Ball of wrestling

What is a Lavar Ball

Graduate Transfer Waiver

I'm not sure which I'd like to see more, his statement about the reasons for the transfer, or ISU's statement about his status on the team. 

It's ridiculous that somebody who has graduated and has not been in trouble with the law since high school would be prevented from competing as a graduate student. The NCAA had enough problems to worry about right now. They should not crush this man's dream.

Edited by Billyhoyle

It's ridiculous that somebody who has graduated and has not been in trouble with the law since high school would be prevented from competing as a graduate student. The NCAA had enough problems to worry about right now. They should not crush this man's dream.

You don't have a right to wrestle in college. And you most certainly are not entitled to wrestle for your four different college.

He is in graduate school and getting an education. Good for him. Hope he graduates with his PhD like his dad said he would.