Sign in to follow this  
klehner

What to do about 141?

Meredith:  Loss to Yianni, wins over Heil, Jack, and Eierman.  Nothing tough remaining except Heil at tourney (Big 12)

Yianni:  Loss to Eierman, wins over Meredith, Alber x2, Thorn, Karam, Lee.  Nothing tough remaining (EIWA)

Eierman:  Loss to Meredith, wins over Yianni, Heil.  Only Alber remaining (MAC)

Heil:  Loss to Meredith, Eierman, Jack, wins over Thorn, Karam.  Only Alber remaining except Meredith at tourney (Big 12)

Jack:  Loss to Meredith, wins over Heil.  Only McKenna remaining (ACC)

McKenna:  Loss to Thorn, wins over "nobody".  Lee and Jack remaining (B1G)

Zacherl:  No losses, win over Lee.  Nothing tough remaining (EWL)

Lee:  Loss to Yianni, Gfeller, wins over Thorn, Alber.  McKenna remaining (B1G)

Amazing that so few are in the same leagues.  I figure Meredith > Heil again at Big12, Lee > McKenna at B1G.  So
not much movement from here on out.

I would go with

1 Meredith

2 Eierman

3 Yianni

4 Jack

5 Heil

6 Zacherl

7 Lee

8 McKenna (or lower)

Can you imagine if Heil beats Meredith at Big 12?  Will this be the most competitive weight at NCAAs?  Can you imagine better semi-finals if the above holds?

It's interesting to seed but not terribly important since the depth at top and bottom means a higher seed doesn't really give you a big advantage.  Unless a bad matchup dictates you want to be away from a specific wrestler, those top 4 are about the same, Heil is a wildcard at this point, and the other dozen guys can slot anywhere.

I know he's not a fashionable choice, but I think people are writing off McKenna based on the Thorn match a little too quickly.  74-8 career record, multiple world level medals, wins over guys like Meredith, Zacherl, Ashnault and Kolodzik. He could end up being the "forgotten man" who surprises everyone.

This will be great weight , usually my favorite round quarterfinals , This year at this weight round of 16 on.

will be a lot fun.

Heil was more aggressive , I would not Count Heil out as I said before 2x Ncaa champ for a reason. Same as Jaggers 

shows up big show.

Frank C

The seeding committee does some strange things. I’d actually be shocked if they don’t make an undefeated Zacherl a top 4 seed.

That's a good point.  Not like Heil has any significant wins.  If he loses again to Meredith, Zacherl should be the 5.   Possibly the no. 4 should Jack lose to McKenna

Edited by LemonPie

The seeding committee does some strange things. I’d actually be shocked if they don’t make an undefeated Zacherl a top 4 seed.

and those "strange things" might be what?

it's my understanding they simply follow and apply the rules and seeding criteria

Heil looks like he's having a tough go here, I'm not sure what's the issue, but if I had to guess, he might be suffering from the grind and the weight cut over the past four years. But it also could be that these guys have just caught up with him. Right now it does look like it could be anyone's game, and we will see some spectacular wrestling come March.

And Ashnault of Rutgers would/will be in the mix if he Wrestles this year (He is ranked #1 at 141 by Wrestlestat),  Somebody on this messageboard said he probably won't wrestle and will petition for a 6th year, which is dangerous to put your dreams into a decision by some committee to get an extra year which rarely happens, I hope he Wrestles this year (Better to win or lose on the mat, than denied your dream by a decision by strangers), I still would pick Heil in spite of his getting pinned yesterday, but it is wide open.

Seeding provides enough separation to keep the best competitors apart until it matters. From there, it'll be settled on the mat. Besides, there's still a ton of wrestling left before it even matters. Significant duals. Conference championships.