• Please log in to reply
20 replies to this topic

#1 cangemi

cangemi

Gold Member

• Members
  • 3,524 posts

Posted 28 January 2018 - 02:27 AM

I think this is best we looked in a while.

Taylor, Dake coming into there own . I really think this the best team in a while. Not only that , What a fun team to watch. they get after it

Steiber, Dake, Taylor, Burroughs, Snyder, Cox  Gilman, Gwiz   wow!---- someone in college will also surprise us shortly maybe (Yianni, Nickal, Rutherford, Nickal , Nolf ?? or Pico returning LOL )

Frank C 

PS -nope didnt need to give up and change (US college wrestling) and never should. It is great to see both .

Edited by cangemi, 28 January 2018 - 02:30 AM.

#2 cjc007

cjc007

Bronze Member

• Members
  • 986 posts

Posted 28 January 2018 - 02:46 AM

Taylor, Dake coming into there own . I really think this the best team in a while. Not only that , What a fun team to watch. they get after it

Steiber, Dake, Taylor, Burroughs, Snyder, Cox Gilman, Gwiz wow!---- someone in college will also surprise us shortly maybe (Yianni, Nickal, Rutherford, Nickal , Nolf ?? or Pico returning LOL )

Frank C

PS -nope didnt need to give up and change (US college wrestling) and never should. It is great to see both .

All the guys you mentionedoned have competed in Freestyle since they we're kids 10/12 yrs old.

Sent from my XT1254 using Tapatalk
  • spladle08, cangemi and GranbyTroll like this

#3 cangemi

cangemi

Gold Member

• Members
  • 3,524 posts

Posted 28 January 2018 - 02:50 AM

cjc007

yep , can do both styles you right!

#4 cjc007

cjc007

Bronze Member

• Members
  • 986 posts

Posted 28 January 2018 - 02:57 AM

cjc007

yep , can do both styles you right!

Greco too!

#5 pamela

pamela

Gold Member

• Members
  • 2,249 posts

Posted 28 January 2018 - 03:15 AM

Maybe we'll see more of our U23 or older Junior team members like Hall, Lewis, IMart, Lee, Fix, McKenna, Walz, Micic, Valencia(s), etc. up at the senior level soon too.

On the women's side Mensah was a machine and Ragan wrestled great, but we didn't even have reps at all of the weights. That's too bad.
  • cangemi and AllISeeIsBronze like this

#6 LemonPie

LemonPie

Gold Member

• Members
  • 4,803 posts

Posted 28 January 2018 - 03:35 AM

Only worried about 61kg.

I think Brock will be great in FS, but he'll likely outgrow this weight. Gross, McKee, Gomez, and Arujau also gonna have a tough time holding it.

Micic not a bad option. Perhaps Fix or Gilman eventually bumps up.

Anyone but Heil '18

http://contenttolosebythree.com

#7 sgallan

sgallan

Hall of Fame Member

• Members
  • 29,466 posts

Posted 28 January 2018 - 03:43 AM

The biggest change I see is folk and freestyle sort of came together. In folk it used to be play the edge and wander out if under attack. Now you get penalized for doing that. Technically not a push out rule but close to the same thing. Freestyle started awarding more points for TD's versus push outs and changed the criteria so you just can't get the last point and then stall out. Both styles have penalties for stalling and the international game uses it because in that style people got so good at stalling it could be one point and done. Push out does the same. This meant all those guys who have been doing FS their wholes lives can now merge the two somewhat seamlessly. Those who are pure folk wrestlers under the old rules will have a harder time in the transition.

Also as mentioned, Snyder and J'Den were international style guys from the get go. The young guns coming up the same. Dake and Taylor needed a transition time. Zain did a lot of both and can really still do both seamlessly.  

#8 sgallan

sgallan

Hall of Fame Member

• Members
  • 29,466 posts

Posted 28 January 2018 - 03:49 AM

Steiber, Dake, Taylor, Burroughs, Snyder, Cox  Gilman, Gwiz   wow!---- someone in college will also surprise us shortly maybe (Yianni, Nickal, Rutherford, Nickal , Nolf ?? or Pico returning LOL )

Frank C 

College wrestling did change. They implemented, and enforce, rules that no longer reward playing the edge and let action take you out. And now they have rules where you can't just dive through and do endless passes while laying on your back. Those are some pretty significant rule changes and makes folkstyle far more entertaining. The rewarding back points for an extra point has done its job and more guys are looking for those points. 

#9 pamela

pamela

Gold Member

• Members
  • 2,249 posts

Posted 28 January 2018 - 04:05 AM

Only worried about 61kg.

I think Brock will be great in FS, but he'll likely outgrow this weight. Gross, McKee, Gomez, and Arujau also gonna have a tough time holding it.

Micic not a bad option. Perhaps Fix or Gilman eventually bumps up.

I'd like to see Garrett have a run at that spot. Is Ramos too big for 57 but not big enough for 61?

Waters and Lizak may also be our options in addition to the guy's you've listed. Teasdale? I don't know.

#10 de4856

de4856

Silver Member

• Members
  • 1,290 posts

Posted 28 January 2018 - 07:13 AM

Well, I'm not sure when USA wrestling sent this many wrestlers to the Yarygin, and I'm not sure when we came away with so many Champs, and medals, and a lot of others that were close to getting a medal. I think this tournament was very successful for us. I would've like to have seen Gilman, Green and Jordan at the Yarygin, but I guess this was not in their training schedule.
Anyway this should be interesting to see how thing unfold here for us in the upcoming months.

#11 WillieBoy

WillieBoy

Silver Member

• Members
  • 1,306 posts

Posted 28 January 2018 - 07:31 AM

Well, I'm not sure when USA wrestling sent this many wrestlers to the Yarygin, and I'm not sure when we came away with so many Champs, and medals, and a lot of others that were close to getting a medal. I think this tournament was very successful for us. I would've like to have seen Gilman, Green and Jordan at the Yarygin, but I guess this was not in their training schedule.
Anyway this should be interesting to see how thing unfold here for us in the upcoming months.

USA Wrestling not putting this as a priority meet for the whole team is asinine.

Wrestle at the toughest tournaments so you get a true look at where we are. Win or lose the guys and coaches know what the guys need to work on, from experience. Sending a full team two or three deep will also send the message here and abroad that we are serious about the effort, not just that we have one or two guys that are good but a whole team pushing to be good.

Failure to do this is a failure in leadership. As for cost - the refreshment budget is probably more than sending the whole team to the toughest tournament each year. Cut out the booze and soda and cheez-Whiz crackers and send the team to this tournament every year.

• cjc007 and Jon_Kozak like this

#12 wrestlingnerd

wrestlingnerd

Gold Member

• Members
  • 7,491 posts

Posted 28 January 2018 - 10:28 AM

Failure to do this is a failure in leadership. 

While I agree with you that this is an important tournament and I'd love to see our A team there every year, the "leadership" has earned the right to shut all of us fans up for at least a few years when we won senior and junior worlds. They haven't failed anyone.

#13 Jon_Kozak

Jon_Kozak
  • Members
  • 73 posts

Posted 28 January 2018 - 12:32 PM

USA Wrestling not putting this as a priority meet for the whole team is asinine.
Wrestle at the toughest tournaments so you get a true look at where we are.

Failure to do this is a failure in leadership. As for cost - the refreshment budget is probably more than sending the whole team to the toughest tournament each year. Cut out the booze and soda and cheez-Whiz crackers and send the team to this tournament every year.

Pretty sure we know where Burroughs is at in relation to the rest of the world...and in my opinion JB can do what he wants. Green was hurt...so the only guys missing were Gilman, Zain, and J’den.

We sent past teamers in Ramos and Molinaro. With newer guys on the scene like Clark and Heflin. What more could you ask for?

I’d say we sent the best team in a long time to this event and it shows great effort by our leadership.

Edited by Jon_Kozak, 28 January 2018 - 12:37 PM.

#14 JerseyJoey

JerseyJoey

Bronze Member

• Members
  • 476 posts

Posted 28 January 2018 - 02:24 PM

All the guys you mentionedoned have competed in Freestyle since they we're kids 10/12 yrs old.

Burroughs did no significant freestyle before college and dake, cox and Gwiz were certainly not doing it with any significance at 10-12 years old. I doubt any of them did more than 2 months a year max at that age.

#15 cjc007

cjc007

Bronze Member

• Members
  • 986 posts

Posted 28 January 2018 - 02:31 PM

Burroughs did no significant freestyle before college and dake, cox and Gwiz were certainly not doing it with any significance at 10-12 years old. I doubt any of them did more than 2 months a year max at that age.

Dake been involved with Freestyle since he was a kid.

The best youth wrestlers wrestler Freestyle in the "off season" no matter how you may spin it.

Honestly, the folk season (youth) is when you have 3 sport athletes trying to wrestle. The best guys (youth) wrestle Freestyle and Greco.

It's a no brainer.

#16 de4856

de4856

Silver Member

• Members
  • 1,290 posts

Posted 28 January 2018 - 04:37 PM

Well with the "Club's," going on in December, and the "World's," being moved back to October, the international season is now eleven months long now for some of our wrestlers. So I am sure that our wrestlers and the coaching staff is looking at the calendar and trying to figure out what's best for the individual(s) and the team as a whole.

#17 Billyhoyle

Billyhoyle

Gold Member

• Members
  • 2,775 posts

Posted 28 January 2018 - 09:18 PM

The team just won worlds.  They looked pretty damn good there too. 

#18 WillieBoy

WillieBoy

Silver Member

• Members
  • 1,306 posts

Posted 29 January 2018 - 03:17 AM

Yes, the team just won Worlds and overall did a good job.

I'm a throwback to the Dan Gable philosophy of competition. Go for it against the top tier and use every resource to prepare for them. The second tier competition is used to hone specific moves and strategy. Competition you can use to challenge your preparation and see how it does in actual matches rather than in a wrestling room practice. You go against those pushing to move up while not getting schooled so often.

Technique and conditioning as well as mental approach all have to be part of the total package. Miss any of those and you are asking for second or lower.

I still think Dan Gable should be the "Wrestling Czar" for USA Wrestling. His long record of success and the respect he has earned would benefit the program at every level. He wrestled a hard style but is smart enough to get many whose excellence in other areas would complement his approach. Gable, Smith, Baumgardner and a host of others working with one man the decider would be better than what we have now, even if what we have not is working somewhat. Can always use some tweaking - and my prejudice from experience says Dan Gable should be our guy.

• GoNotQuietly likes this

#19 de4856

de4856

Silver Member

• Members
  • 1,290 posts

Posted 30 January 2018 - 12:30 PM

Well with last year's success at the Senior World's and at our other divisions, the future looks pretty darn good. So far this international season, we have had the U23's, the Club Championships, and now the Yarygin. So while Snyderman, DT, and Kyle Dake, are staying sharp and doing well, we are also getting a look at some new guys, like Heflin, as well as some of our wrestlers like Gilman, are getting a chance to get additional Senior level international experience.
Looking at some interviews, and reviewing the UWW calendar, it looks like the next event for some of our guys will be Cuba. After that, I'm not sure, but the next big one after that has to be the World Cup in April.
But all that aside, I am kind of excited to see, is who is going to try and make the team, and at what weight. Right now we have our established Senior stars, but we also have a crop of young super stars, that look like they have a very high ceiling, so who knows how this will unfold, but it'll be fun to watch.
  • GoNotQuietly likes this

#20 cjc007

cjc007

Bronze Member

• Members
  • 986 posts

Posted 30 January 2018 - 01:43 PM

Well with last year's success at the Senior World's and at our other divisions, the future looks pretty darn good. So far this international season, we have had the U23's, the Club Championships, and now the Yarygin. So while Snyderman, DT, and Kyle Dake, are staying sharp and doing well, we are also getting a look at some new guys, like Heflin, as well as some of our wrestlers like Gilman, are getting a chance to get additional Senior level international experience.
Looking at some interviews, and reviewing the UWW calendar, it looks like the next event for some of our guys will be Cuba. After that, I'm not sure, but the next big one after that has to be the World Cup in April.
But all that aside, I am kind of excited to see, is who is going to try and make the team, and at what weight. Right now we have our established Senior stars, but we also have a crop of young super stars, that look like they have a very high ceiling, so who knows how this will unfold, but it'll be fun to watch.

We're getting better everyday.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users