25 replies to this topic

#1 wfan24

wfan24

Bronze Member

• Members
  • 275 posts

Posted 28 January 2018 - 08:36 AM

source: 

This is very recent, from few 2 weeks ago or so. Generally, hard to find an interview with Sadulaev and that is a long'ish one. 

I am translating many of the questions/answers for the forum, may be interesting:

Q:  It looks like after the worlds, and world clubs cup, you are beginning to adapt to the new 97kg weight class. What is your current shape?

A: Right after the worlds, I went to Hadj (Mecca) and after that I returned to training again. A week ago we finished the 1st part of preparing for the Yarygin. Beginning of December I went to Iran to compete so that I can adapt myself to this weight class better and did 2 rounds of wrestling. After that I went to Sochi to train more.

Q: Well, do you feel 97kg is your weight class?

A: Not fully. After the Rio Games, I only did the Russian Nationals and there was a large time gap between Rio and Russian Nationals. And after that I did the Worlds right away. So I feel I need few more competitions to get comfortable at 97kg. I feel good now and preparation is going well.

Q: Russian team, for the first time in history was left without a gold medal in Paris. What is your explanation?

A: Well, I did not want this to happen. Its not as if we lost on purpose. We wanted to make the fans and the coaches happy, but to our big disappointment, it happened what happened.

Q: It looks like this is not a random event that our leaders lose but a result of some continuous problem that has been accumulated over time?

A: I went to Paris for Gold, but oh well, we can plan but God decides. So there are no excuses, what happened is what it is. And this motivates me even more. And this is not the last championships, there will be many more wins in the future.

Q: In your match with Snyder, it went point for point, and you seem to have lost only due to lack of luck.  So there is no shame in this loss. But I noticed that team USA improved a lot, and its unclear why given their past performances. What should we do to get back to the top?

A: We just need to work more than they do. On the mat, nothing can really help you (drugs, coaches, or referees) except yourself.

Q: Did you manage to recover psychologically after the annoying loss?

A: The fact I lost is not a big deal. All wins and losses are due to God. I was not psychologically broken at all. I admitted my defeat right there and then. That said, I do believe our second meeting will go differently and that I chose the wrong game plan and in some positions I underestimated him. In a second meeting I will try not to commit the same mistakes and I think the outcome will be different.

Q: Some people think that you lost because you did not recover because of Ramadan on time?

A: No, this is not the reason. I recovered on time, that was not the problem. So this cannot be an excuse for my loss.

Q: Will you stay at 97kg or go back to 86kg?

A: Well, time will tell. I believe I will stay at 97kg, this will be my weight.

Q: Visually, Snyder looks bigger and stronger than his opponents. Did you feel that?

A: Well, at 97kg, all opponents are very heavy, and because of that, I have to find their weak spots. If I just wrestle with power vs. power, I will not even reach the final.

Q: Snyder can do 200kg bench press. What can you do? What do you do for physical preparation?

A: (laughs). I think weights and so on will not help, may be even be bad for him. I will not praise myself as I have nothing to praise myself about. But we will see how much these weights help him, I mostly focus on wrestling and technique and otherwise just ropes and chinups, etc..standard exercises for every athlete.

Q: But you seem powerful and explosive, so you must be doing something?

A: Well, since childhood, I was gifted with natural power, and because of that I did not work much on weights. I think if I do too much weights, I will not be as mobile as I am now.

Q: Do you want to meet Snyder at the Yarygin final. 

A: I am not in a hurry to meet again, but I want to meet him at the final of the Worlds or the Olympics, so that also fans get more interested and excited.

Q:  Do you want to try MMA after wrestling? 

A:  Well, I have a lot of MMA friends (Khabib), but right now I have no plans for MMA. 

Q: Do you like soccer?

A: Well, I support the local team Anji but also like Barcelona.

Q: Do you want to become a soccer player like Mavlet Batirov after wrestling?

A: I am not such a good player to do that and I want to avoid injuries in general so I cannot play too much now.

Q: How do you avoid all the spoils of modern life?

A: Well, my religion disallows me to go to night clubs and also if I do that, I will not be a good athlete. So I need to pick one or the other. Since childhood, I always went to wrestling and my Dad told me if I start something I should finish it. And I cannot allow myself as Olympic champion to do such things as people look up to me.

Q: What is your salary? Did you change after becoming an Olympic champ?

A: Wrestling is not a rich sport like soccer or hockey, but it is enough to support myself. And no, I still have the same friends as before.

Q: Are you nervous in competitions?

A: No, not all, even one bit. God decides for the result, so whatever has been decided happens if its meant to happen. If not, then not.

Q: Your wife, does she watch your matches?

A: She used to but stopped as she gets too emotional.

Q: Who is your favorite fan?

A: My mom and my dad.

Q: How do you rest successfully?

A: I relax with my family and I like nature and the forest. 

Q: What advice you can give to the youth?

A: Set goals, develop intellectually as well, read more books, have a healthy way of life. Listen to the elders and help the younger. Be a person whom our predecessors would be proud of.

----

Fast questions where he has to make a quick choice:

Q: sea or forest?

A: forest

Q: Internet or TV?

A: Internet

Q: Lopes or Karelin?

A: Karelin

Q: movies or books?

A: books

Q: run a marathon vs. wrestle 10 matches in a row?

A: marathon

Q: eat or sleep?

A: sleep

Q: 4 time olympic champion or President of Dagestan?

A: 4-time olympic champion.

• TheOhioState, bwh27, Buckeyebison and 5 others like this

#2 wrestlingnerd

wrestlingnerd

Gold Member

• Members
  • 7,491 posts

Posted 28 January 2018 - 09:52 AM

Q: Did you manage to recover psychologically after the annoying loss?

A: The fact I lost is not a big deal. All wins and losses are due to God. I was not psychologically broken at all. I admitted my defeat right there and then. That said, I do believe our second meeting will go differently and that I chose the wrong game plan and in some positions I underestimated him. In a second meeting I will try not to commit the same mistakes and I think the outcome will be different.

Q: Some people think that you lost because you did not recover because of Ramadan on time?

A: No, this is not the reason. I recovered on time, that was not the problem. So this cannot be an excuse for my loss.

Q: Snyder can do 200kg bench press. What can you do? What do you do for physical preparation?

A: (laughs). I think weights and so on will not help, may be even be bad for him. I will not praise myself as I have nothing to praise myself about. But we will see how much these weights help him, I mostly focus on wrestling and technique and otherwise just ropes and chinups, etc..standard exercises for every athlete.

Q: But you seem powerful and explosive, so you must be doing something?

A: Well, since childhood, I was gifted with natural power, and because of that I did not work much on weights. I think if I do too much weights, I will not be as mobile as I am now.

The first part of the interview I quoted above: true champion. It's hard not to root for the guy when he is so consistently level-headed in victory or defeat. For a guy who has lost so little, he really did seem totally fine with it and ready to move on. Some of our top guys (e.g. Dake, Taylor, et al) should take note.

The second part above... the world should be happy that Sadulaev doesn't lift weights. He couldn't be more wrong about its effects on wrestling performance, and for our guys' sake, I hope he never realizes it.

• bwh27, GoNotQuietly and Yellow_Medal like this

#3 wfan24

wfan24

Bronze Member

• Members
  • 275 posts

Posted 28 January 2018 - 10:00 AM

Sadulaev, when he talks, if you listen to the video, is very calm on all topics. He almost sounds indifferent regardless of the topic, and does not get excited about anything. 

#4 sgallan

sgallan

Hall of Fame Member

• Members
  • 29,466 posts

Posted 28 January 2018 - 10:07 AM

The first part of the interview I quoted above: true champion. It's hard not to root for the guy when he is so consistently level-headed in victory or defeat. For a guy who has lost so little, he really did seem totally fine with it and ready to move on. Some of our top guys (e.g. Dake, Taylor, et al) should take note.

The second part above... the world should be happy that Sadulaev doesn't lift weights. He couldn't be more wrong about its effects on wrestling performance, and for our guys' sake, I hope he never realizes it.

Yeah, his frame is able to support the extra weight. Lifting would get him at a solid 97 instead small one. He wouldn't even have to do a power lifting or intense weight training. Just some core stuff 3 times a week to build some mass. With his genetics it wouldn't take much more then that. I also like - as far as we can tell - that he doesn't seem interested in taking... cough cough..... his vitamins. Overall he is a class act, I root for him over everybody except the home team. On a slow evening I can spend hours watching and studying him and Snyder.

• cjc007 and Yellow_Medal like this

#5 sgallan

sgallan

Hall of Fame Member

• Members
  • 29,466 posts

Posted 28 January 2018 - 10:11 AM

Sadulaev, when he talks, if you listen to the video, is very calm on all topics. He almost sounds indifferent regardless of the topic, and does not get excited about anything. 

He was pretty wrecked when he got beat, but his attitude now is to improve. I like him but he is smart staying down until he can better fit into the weight. He gassed against Batsiev and almost lost, and while not really challenged before Snyder at Paris, he wasn't exactly dominating either.

#6 wfan24

wfan24

Bronze Member

• Members
  • 275 posts

Posted 29 January 2018 - 07:39 PM

I don't get the sense that Sad does too much game planning either or anything like that. He does seem to have a bit of disregard for the Russian authorities and is his own man by all accounts, even the interviewer mentioned it in this interview. This seems to come w.r.t to the supplements issue and that he refuses to take anything -- this was mentioned by other coaches as well who almost indirectly attribute his loss to this refusal. 

#7 nom

nom

Gold Member

• Members
  • 2,718 posts

Posted 30 January 2018 - 02:32 AM

wfan - THANK YOU! You have done a big service to this board. Thank you again.

Trusting your translation, this has made me an even bigger fan of him. Amazing person.
  • cjc007 likes this

#8 wrestlingnerd

wrestlingnerd

Gold Member

• Members
  • 7,491 posts

Posted 30 January 2018 - 08:33 AM

I don't get the sense that Sad does too much game planning either or anything like that. 

For our guys' sake, I hope he continues to not lift and not game plan!

#9 GoNotQuietly

GoNotQuietly

Silver Member

• Members
  • 1,421 posts

Posted 30 January 2018 - 12:34 PM

Very classy interview.

I couldn't imagine thinking that Snyder, of all people, would be better if he stayed away from the weights. 

#10 Coach_J

Coach_J

Gold Member

• Members
  • 2,931 posts

Posted 30 January 2018 - 10:10 PM

"I will not praise myself as I have nothing to praise myself about."

Hard not to like this guy.  What most of us would like a son to be like.

Edited by Coach_J, 30 January 2018 - 10:11 PM.

• cjc007 likes this

All Motown, All the Time

www.writeondetroit.com

#11 WildTurkey44

WildTurkey44

Silver Member

• Members
  • 1,251 posts

Posted 31 January 2018 - 05:20 AM

The interviewer said Sad lost to Snyder only due to luck? Kiss my white American Ass!

#12 wfan24

wfan24

Bronze Member

• Members
  • 275 posts

Posted 31 January 2018 - 06:48 AM

Concretely the interviewer said: the match was going point-for-point and there was nothing you were worse than him in, but luck was not on your side this time. 

Interviewer was talking a lot, more than Sad.

Edited by wfan24, 31 January 2018 - 07:12 AM.

#13 wfan24

wfan24

Bronze Member

• Members
  • 275 posts

Posted 31 January 2018 - 09:59 AM

btw, its funny how opposite Sad and Gadisov are. Gads is so much more emotional than Sad, jumping on the side lines. I have the feeling Gads will be back for 1 more worlds. In general, with the way Sadulaev talks, one gets the feeling everyone else was more worried for him than himself.

Edited by wfan24, 31 January 2018 - 09:59 AM.

#14 PRyan2012

PRyan2012

Gold Member

• Members
  • 2,912 posts

Posted 01 February 2018 - 02:52 AM

In my humble opinion I think his devout faith in Islam is what is going to keep him from being a GOAT. I don't think he will reach Gatsalov or Satiev status and will have a career a little bit better than his mentor Sajidov. He doesn't wrestle much and devotes a lot of time to his faith and family. Not a bad way to be just a prediction. This may sound crazy but I think he wins one more Gold and maybe two more.  And I do not think he was making excuses for Snyder loss but his coaches sure have been.

Edited by PRyan2012, 01 February 2018 - 03:36 AM.

#15 mspart

mspart

Gold Member

• Members
  • 5,981 posts

Posted 01 February 2018 - 04:17 AM

Speaking of Gadisov, I think it was Gadisov that shook Snyder's hand and patted him on the back after Snyder's semi-final win at Yarigin.  It looked like him anyway.

mspart

• cjc007 and PRyan2012 like this

#16 Ching

Ching

Bronze Member

• Members
  • 247 posts

Posted 01 February 2018 - 07:24 AM

In my humble opinion I think his devout faith in Islam is what is going to keep him from being a GOAT. I don't think he will reach Gatsalov or Satiev status and will have a career a little bit better than his mentor Sajidov. He doesn't wrestle much and devotes a lot of time to his faith and family. Not a bad way to be just a prediction. This may sound crazy but I think he wins one more Gold and maybe two more.  And I do not think he was making excuses for Snyder loss but his coaches sure have been.

If he wrestles 92kg or less, who is going to beat him? At 86kg, the competition was not even scoring points any points (not even step-outs). Most of the caucus wrestlers take Ramadan off and they still dominate. It probably helps them recover from injuries. With Worlds moving to later in the year, it might be timed perfectly.

• cjc007 likes this
Follow @_Homme

#17 PRyan2012

PRyan2012

Gold Member

• Members
  • 2,912 posts

Posted 01 February 2018 - 02:59 PM

If he wrestles 92kg or less, who is going to beat him? At 86kg, the competition was not even scoring points any points (not even step-outs). Most of the caucus wrestlers take Ramadan off and they still dominate. It probably helps them recover from injuries. With Worlds moving to later in the year, it might be timed perfectly.

At the moment no one will beat him. Read a lot about him. Deeply religious and family first usually takes its toll on wrestling being #1.We will see you maybe right. 

#18 Shiraz123

Shiraz123

Bronze Member

• Members
  • 950 posts

Posted 03 February 2018 - 12:54 AM

I saw the video of these Dagestan guys in the weight room and it looks like they just jump from machine to machine randomly. Getting his squat and deadlift up would not make Sadulaev "less mobile" but it would help him deal with a bear like Snyder as he seems set on not going back to 86. Crazy how much bro science is out there even amongst athletes who have won Olympic gold.

#19 wfan24

wfan24

Bronze Member

• Members
  • 275 posts

Posted 06 February 2018 - 10:18 AM

An interview with Sadulaev right after the Yarygin: 

Here he says that he is waiting for the rematch more than the journalists and the press and that it will happen "very soon", but that if a person really wants something they need to learn to wait a little bit. In another longer part of this interview he said he is definitely going to 97kg. I suspect the rematch will happen at the World Cup.

#20 Eagle26

Eagle26

Bronze Member

• Members
  • 479 posts

Posted 06 February 2018 - 11:32 AM

Awesome interview! Thanks for posting!

If you only have so many hours in a day to train, the hours are much better spent in the wrestling room than the weight room. So I would say, maybe our US team would be better off if they spent less time in the weight room. Generally, I would agree with Sadulaev that he doesn't really need to do much in the weight room, but since he did go up a weight and is undersized it may be good for him to try to put in some mass

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users