Sign in to follow this  
Greatdane67

Dean Heil

He's lost a couple close matches to guys that have always been just a hair below him. It's hard to keep beating the same tough guys that many times too. Eirmann is incredibly dangerous and heil looked to be in good positions until eirmann came out on top in the dual last night.

As for Ian Parker coming up and winning a close one I wonder if him bumping is the reason that storr is leaving isu. Maybe he couldn't hold the weight and he beat out storr for the starting spot?

Sometimes the simplest explanation is the most logical one. He stopped improving. The field caught up to him. Meredith, Jack, and especially Eierman all look improved over last year. Heil looks, at best, the same. Those guys were all within striking distance of Heil last year. Now, they are at his level or better.

He's lost a couple close matches to guys that have always been just a hair below him. It's hard to keep beating the same tough guys that many times too. Eirmann is incredibly dangerous and heil looked to be in good positions until eirmann came out on top in the dual last night.

As for Ian Parker coming up and winning a close one I wonder if him bumping is the reason that storr is leaving isu. Maybe he couldn't hold the weight and he beat out storr for the starting spot?

Maybe. But, to me, he looks like he himself has taken a "step back".

He relied on holding on from his back to avoid TDs. It completely changed the way he had to wrestle. Watch his matches from last year. To be forced to abandon that is being forced to change so much of your arsenal. Now he gives up TDs, and I think the confidence is out the window

He relied on holding on from his back to avoid TDs. It completely changed the way he had to wrestle. Watch his matches from last year. To be forced to abandon that is being forced to change so much of your arsenal. Now he gives up TDs, and I think the confidence is out the window

Go watch all of his matches while winning his 2nd national title and he doesn't go to that strategy at all.  He has scored TDs off his own shots on every top guy in the country the last 2 years.  This is not a rule change issue.  The field got much better at 141 and that has an effect.  But it's more than that too.  He didn't lose to Ian Parker today because the field got worse or because the rules changed.  Something is clearly wrong with him.  It doesn't look to be a physical issue, but rather HEW.

I agree 100%.  The Heil Rule made him change everything, and frankly, being the most hated wrestler in the last decade, with no answers for his plight, has probably beat him up pretty big mentally too.  I'm glad they changed the rule.   I'm pretty sure someone was going to make him pay for that style this year.  They were getting pretty close last season to stopping him in that position a couple of times.  I'm pulling for him, but I'd put him at about 10% to get his 3rd.

Edited by Peso

The Heil Rule made him change everything, and frankly, being the most hated wrestler in the last decade, with no answers for his plight, has probably beat him up pretty big mentally too.  

A lot of people didn't like his style, but the most hated in the last decade?  Over-stating it a bit aren't you?  

Wrestling is such a tough grind. I am always amazed that guys can stay engaged during 4, 5, or 6 years of college especially if you don't have international aspirations. I don't know if Heil is having a little burn out right now or if the field is just that much better.

I guess that is why there are only 26-3X champs and 4-4X champs all time.

BTF, watch Heil's match against Gulibon in their dual last year.  I think many would say that match was the impetus for the new danger rule as it was definitely the most well-known example.  Heil spent a considerable amount of time on his back scrambling to avoid a takedown.

Another good example is the D Lewis/IMar match from last year.  In the first period Lewis gets in deep on a leg and IMar starts scrambling. IMar ends up on his back for over 5 seconds, looks pinned or close to it, but has a leg so no takedown.  Because Lewis didn't have "control", the ref doesn't even look for the pin and calls a stalemate.  

BTF, watch Heil's match against Gulibon in their dual last year.  I think many would say that match was the impetus for the new danger rule as it was definitely the most well-known example.  Heil spent a considerable amount of time on his back scrambling to avoid a takedown.

Dude he wasn't even scrambling, he was just hanging on to a crotch-lift position for seemingly minutes at a time with no attempt to do anything. 

But you are correct that is the match which is the most egregious example and since ti was very high profile probably the "last straw" so to speak and the Heil Rule was born.