Sign in to follow this  
Greatdane67

Dean Heil

Maybe so, but I can't remember anyone recently getting bashed and hated on like him. Who would be his competition for that?

Well going off my previous comment last 10-15 yrs, Johny Hendricks was hated by everyone outside of Stillwater. Regarding wrestling style, Jake Varner had the nickname Varnish because his matches were like watching paint dry. Keith Gavin was another guy that had a very conservative style and he got a lot of grief on the boards(that’s how a 1 loss Metcalf got the Hodge because Gavin was undefeated but so conservative).

Well going off my previous comment last 10-15 yrs, Johny Hendricks was hated by everyone outside of Stillwater. Regarding wrestling style, Jake Varner had the nickname Varnish because his matches were like watching paint dry. Keith Gavin was another guy that had a very conservative style and he got a lot of grief on the boards(that’s how a 1 loss Metcalf got the Hodge because Gavin was undefeated but so conservative).

Well going off my statement of 10 years, all of yours are outside of 10 years.

Maybe so, but I can't remember anyone recently getting bashed and hated on like him.  Who would be his competition for that?

Can't think of any from recently other than Heil. But not so long ago people were complaining about Derek St John and Jason Tsirtsis. Essentially guys who were quite happy to win by only 1 point and who don't work to score points from top. Chris Perry received a lot of unwarranted hate for the razor thin margins of victory versus a lot of the top guys, but his matches were anything BUT boring. Plus Perry tended to crush the lowbies by bonus points as I recall.

Edited by TobusRex

It’s bizarre

I almost want him to win the title, just for the redemption story

It's really not that bizzare. Human beings love seeing someone rise to the top, then seeing them fall. They hate seeing someone be successful for too long. This is why often times the hero becomes the villain. After they fall they love seeing that person rise up again.

A lot of people didn't like his style, but the most hated in the last decade? Over-stating it a bit aren't you?

He is definetly up there. There was a ton of hate and wishing he would lose, others that recieved a ton of hate, would include tsirtsis and howe. This board really hated their style and made it known. Gilman was seemingly hated on the same level maybe slightly more for a different reason, but he had more people that liked him also.

I don't think most hate Heil....it's that hang on for dear life to any limb or body part ...until you can hopefully score of your opponents offense ....or if that isn't working lull your opponent to sleep then pray your 1 offensive Hail Mary shot works ..winning by 1-2 against anyone top 20...style/mentality. It was bound to catch up to him. 

Gilman was seemingly hated on the same level maybe slightly more for a different reason, but he had more people that liked him also.

I think the majority of people that liked Gilman were either hawkeyes or nut huggers who jumped on his train after worlds.

I know I'm biased against him as a Mizzou fan, but I can't remember a wrestler I've disliked more.

Tony Nelson received a great deal of hate for being boring in a weight class where 83% of the participants are boring.

I was getting ready to list of some names of people who weren't boring at heavyweight at that time, then realized the amount of names matched pretty well with the percentage you gave. Well done, lol.

Nelson was very boring though. I find Coon boring as well though, so maybe Im not the best person to ask.

Edited by iGranby

It seems like Heil's issue right now is all confidence.  Let's not forget that he lost CLOSE matches to Merideth and Jack and looked similar to the Dean Heil we are used to seeing.  He did not look good in his win vs Iowa and losses to Eirman and Parker.  Throughout his career, most fans have seemed unimpressed by Heil's style, but I would say what is most impressive about him has been his ability to win close matches against great competition.  In the past, he knew he could keep it close but always believed (speculating) he would win, right now he doesn't...

I haven't given up on Heil yet.  He has an opportunity to wrestle back into form over the next few weeks. If he can get a win against Alber, his schedule will lighten up until the post season.  I'm not saying he will win it all this year (I think the new rule has attributed to his struggles this year as well), but I think he can get back to AA form.

BTW, Heil's career to date reminds me a lot of another Cowboy, Johnny Thompson.  Thompson took second his freshman year (with 3 losses) and won it his soph and junior years (taking 2 losses each year).  He finished 3rd his senior year, but took 7 losses along the way.