gowrestle

RUTGERS PUNKS

BS - How about RU losing 2 matches by 1 pt each???? Also RU very weak at 197 & 285. The announcers, as action was taking place in 157 said something to effect that Nolf and Van Brill wrestle and take chances .

Don't feed the troll.  RU wrestled tough and nasty - TFB.  Only borderline case was Deluca and he was rightfully penalized.  2 1-point losses to top guys is a strong effort.  A battle with Nolf until the unfortunate injury, 2 other wins is a strong showing against teh best in the nation.   

RU wrestled Iowa tough, fought hard against tOSU, and wrestled hard today.  A vicious run against the 3 of the top 4 teams in the nation.   

I gained a lot of respect for Rutgers today. They showed up to wrestle and gave it their best effort. I was very impressed with Gravina and Van Brill. I would've lost a lot of money betting against them to get majored or teched. Even before the injury, Van Brill was wrestling out of his mind.

The entire RAC immediately stood up to give Nolf a standing ovation when he got up, relieved to see him able to stand without help. I thought they represented NJ just fine.

The sold-out RAC rivaled the home environments of PSU, Iowa, tOSU, and Ohio State. The fans had to have been very satisfied with their team even in a losing effort. A lot of NJ studs are going to start very seriously considering staying home after a few more of these performances from Rutgers.

I gained a lot of respect for Rutgers today. They showed up to wrestle and gave it their best effort. I was very impressed with Gravina and Van Brill. I would've lost a lot of money betting against them to get majored or teched. Even before the injury, Van Brill was wrestling out of his mind.

The entire RAC immediately stood up to give Nolf a standing ovation when he got up, relieved to see him able to stand without help. I thought they represented NJ just fine.

The sold-out RAC rivaled the home environments of PSU, Iowa, tOSU, and Ohio State. The fans had to have been very satisfied with their team even in a losing effort. A lot of NJ studs are going to start very seriously considering staying home after a few more of these performances from Rutgers.

tOSU is Ohio State...I think you meant OSU and Ohio State

Actually, my take away from the match was that the Rutgers program turned the RAC into a S-Hole of an event. Suriano struts around and makes comments earlier in the season that a forthcoming Yankees stadium event will be great for "him". Big fish small pond is good for some I suppose. Delvechio shoving Keener's head was unnecessary. Retherford was punched in the face to the point that if he replied in kind it literally would have been closer to a boxing match than wrestling. Yes, that's a way to slow Retherford down and keep him from a Tech Fall or pin, but nevertheless he got the major. Nolf. I've silently have said to myself that he leaves his legs unnecessarily in vulnerable position in part because he's able to create offensive opportunities and score big points from scrambles. It did seem to me that VanBrill torked the ankle/foot while pinching Nolf's leg in a scissor lock to the point that Nolf couldn't turn to relieve the pressure. I've watched it in slow motion and it seem a tad bit malicious. Not 100% but partially malicious.  I think PSU became flustered. I thought the call during the Joseph/Lewis match was ridiculous with Joseph sliding Lewis' headgear around his neck to move the out-of-place headgear out of the way. Cheap and wrong penalty. Nickal dealt with the same crap that Retherford did, and I think Cael avoided putting Shakur on the mat to limit the amount of tape on Rasheed's cradle technique.  My take away, Rutgers scrapped, fought hard, and yes, I think they were a little dirty.

Edited by skikayaker

Actually, my take away from the match was that the Rutgers program turned the RAC into a S-Hole of an event. Suriano struts around and makes comments earlier in the season that a forthcoming Yankees stadium event will be great for "him". Big fish small pond is good for some I suppose. Delvechio shoving Keener's head was unnecessary. Retherford was punched in the face to the point that if he replied in kind it literally would have been closer to a boxing match than wrestling. Yes, that's a way to slow Retherford down and keep him from a Tech Fall or pin, but nevertheless he got the major. Nolf. I've silent have said to my self that he leaves his legs unnecessarily in vulnerable position in part because he's able to create offensive and score big points from scrambles. It did seem to me that VanBrill torked the ankle/foot while pinching Nolf's leg in a scissor lock to the point that Nolf couldn't turn to relieve the pressure. I've watched it in slow motion and it seem a tad bit malicious. Not 100% but partially malicious.  I think the PSU became flustered, I thought the call during the Joseph/Lewis match was ridiculous with Joseph sliding Lewis' headgear around his neck to move the out-of-place headgear out of the way. Cheap and wrong penalty. Nolf dealt with the same crap that Retherford did, and I think Cael avoided putting Shakur on the mat to limit the amount of tape on Rasheed's cradle technique.  My take away, Rutgers scrapped, fought hard, and yes, I think they were a little dirty.

YES!!!!!   Your back and in full Happy Valley Kool Aid mode!

Made my day.

Actually, my take away from the match was that the Rutgers program turned the RAC into a S-Hole of an event. Suriano struts around and makes comments earlier in the season that a forthcoming Yankees stadium event will be great for "him". Big fish small pond is good for some I suppose. Delvechio shoving Keener's head was unnecessary. Retherford was punched in the face to the point that if he replied in kind it literally would have been closer to a boxing match than wrestling. Yes, that's a way to slow Retherford down and keep him from a Tech Fall or pin, but nevertheless he got the major. Nolf. I've silently have said to myself that he leaves his legs unnecessarily in vulnerable position in part because he's able to create offensive opportunities and score big points from scrambles. It did seem to me that VanBrill torked the ankle/foot while pinching Nolf's leg in a scissor lock to the point that Nolf couldn't turn to relieve the pressure. I've watched it in slow motion and it seem a tad bit malicious. Not 100% but partially malicious.  I think PSU became flustered. I thought the call during the Joseph/Lewis match was ridiculous with Joseph sliding Lewis' headgear around his neck to move the out-of-place headgear out of the way. Cheap and wrong penalty. Nickal dealt with the same crap that Retherford did, and I think Cael avoided putting Shakur on the mat to limit the amount of tape on Rasheed's cradle technique.  My take away, Rutgers scrapped, fought hard, and yes, I think they were a little dirty.

LordNelson, the kool-aid still tastes great, and less filling too.  The quote above is my cleaned up version of my initial post.

Don't feed the troll.  RU wrestled tough and nasty - TFB.  Only borderline case was Deluca and he was rightfully penalized.  2 1-point losses to top guys is a strong effort.  A battle with Nolf until the unfortunate injury, 2 other wins is a strong showing against teh best in the nation.   

RU wrestled Iowa tough, fought hard against tOSU, and wrestled hard today.  A vicious run against the 3 of the top 4 teams in the nation.   

Don't forget the loss to Lock Haven:)

The Rutger kids , I might be wet here. But they looked more like kids growing up in Jersey not allowing to be humiliated with out getting a few licks in. Probably been in few street fights in there day. Probably have a little edge too them. Obvious they are not as talented as PSU ( which are nice kids -good student athletes, good grades ) .

Two different types of kids, It was a little rough , biggest issue was nolf and I don't think that was intentional. Deluca refused to get his ass kicked with out getting a lick in. 

Thats my gut, now I could totally be wrong here. Have zero information to base this on except watching a dual, Playing Shrink. 

Am I wrong?

Frank C

Edited by cangemi

The Rutger kids , I might be wet here. But they looked more like kids growing up in Jersey not allowing to be humiliated with out getting a few licks in. Probably been in few street fights in there day. Probably have a little edge too them. Obvious they are not as talented as PSU ( which are nice kids -good student athletes, good grades ) .

Two different types of kids, It was a little rough , biggest issue was nolf and I don't think that was intentional. Deluca refused to get his ass kicked with out getting a lick in. 

Thats my gut, now I could totally be wrong here. Have zero information to base this on except watching a dual, Playing Shrink. 

Am I wrong?

Frank C

Deluca is from Oregon.

The bigotry on display in this thread (and a bunch of others) is astonishing.  I'm sure this ignorance is not a Pennsylvania thing, because my parents are both from PA (and in fact I was also born there), and I sure wasn't raised that way - but disturbing, none the less.  Chalk it up to the internet bringing out the most extreme views?

It's very sad if indeed Nolf has been seriously injured - no one wants to see that happen to any wrestler, and especially not one of our best - but to make generalized accusations regarding kids at a particular school, residents of a single state, or Italian Americans?  I think most wrestling fans are better than that.

Edited by redblades

Am I wrong?

Frank C

you sound like a fool. but that's just my gut, I could be totally wrong. I have zero information to base this on except your post. 

Deluca was the only one I had an issue with. I think the ref should have DQed him right after the last penalty when Deluca threw his arms up and argued with the ref - Done, go sit down in disgrace, loser. I think the ref could have called PD sooner too, like as soon as Nolf sat up. Nothing in that situation changed after Nolf sat up, so because he eventually did call PD, he should have called then. Then, WTF on the headgear call? Those three bouts raised some bad questions. Refs get influenced by huge crowds all the time, but this time a guy got away with misconduct, one of our best American wrestlers got injured, and the ref (and reviewer) demonstrated an ineptitude. It was bad, especially because it could have been prevented. 

I don't want to believe that anyone would deliberately injure their opponent, so I'm happy to believe the explanations I've read that the situation Nolf was in was common. 

There was plenty of great wrestling out there too! Maybe they were a little chippy at times, but so what? Why wouldn't they be with a sold out home crowd and a bunch of top ranked wrestlers to have a shot at? I just wish I could have enjoyed it more. It wasn't easy to appreciate after seeing that injury. 

One thing that came to my mind on reviewing a head gear pull.

When Lehigh wrestled PSU, Parker got a takedown that led to a pin. It came from hands near the head. PSU challenged saying that there was a grab. The review did not positively show that that happened so call stood.

In this case the ref called the grab and the challenge was that it didn't happen.

In the first case, the reviewers task was to see if he could see that something happened.

In the second case, the task was to positively determine that something did NOT happen. How can you do that unless the hands were nowhere near the headgear? As a reviewer, you might well feel that you wouldn't have called it but your job isn't to go with that but to find positive proof of the occurrence or non-occurrence of an event.

Edited by gimpeltf

Deluca was the only one I had an issue with. I think the ref should have DQed him right after the last penalty when Deluca threw his arms up and argued with the ref - Done, go sit down in disgrace, loser. I think the ref could have called PD sooner too, like as soon as Nolf sat up. Nothing in that situation changed after Nolf sat up, so because he eventually did call PD, he should have called then. Then, WTF on the headgear call? Those three bouts raised some bad questions. Refs get influenced by huge crowds all the time, but this time a guy got away with misconduct, one of our best American wrestlers got injured, and the ref (and reviewer) demonstrated an ineptitude. It was bad, especially because it could have been prevented. 

I don't want to believe that anyone would deliberately injure their opponent, so I'm happy to believe the explanations I've read that the situation Nolf was in was common. 

There was plenty of great wrestling out there too! Maybe they were a little chippy at times, but so what? Why wouldn't they be with a sold out home crowd and a bunch of top ranked wrestlers to have a shot at? I just wish I could have enjoyed it more. It wasn't easy to appreciate after seeing that i

what a BS topic but good post

Edited by NJwrestlingguy