gowrestle

RUTGERS PUNKS

One thing that came to my mind on reviewing a head gear pull.

When Lehigh wrestled PSU, Parker got a takedown that led to a pin. It came from hands near the head. PSU challenged saying that there was a grab. The review did not positively show that that happened so call stood.

In this case the ref called the grab and the challenge was that it didn't happen.

In the first case, the reviewers task was to see if he could see that something happened.

In the second case, the task was to positively determine that something did NOT happen. How can you do that unless the hands were nowhere near the headgear? As a reviewer, you might well feel that you wouldn't have called it but your job isn't to go with that but to find positive proof of the occurrence or non-occurrence of an event.

Right, I'd like to get an offical's take on this.  The reviewer may have had to say, yes he did tug on the headgear.  What the real problem was, the mat official did not call time out when the headgear was around his neck and both wrestlers had disengaged and were making their way back to the center of the mat.

Right, I'd like to get an offical's take on this.  The reviewer may have had to say, yes he did tug on the headgear.  What the real problem was, the mat official did not call time out when the headgear was around his neck and both wrestlers had disengaged and were making their way back to the center of the mat.

Again, it's not a question of his seeing a tug to confirm the call, he was asked to positively NOT see a tug to overrule it.

He may have felt there wasn't a penalizable grab but that doesn't mean there's proof positive of that fact.

Can you show some examples of that? He's been there 10 years so you must have numerous ..A couple of Penn State fans are so freaked out that PSU didn't treat Rutgers like Maryland!

That’s all this is about. Rutgers has the nerve to actually compete, instead of simply rolling over.

Nolf injured in a 1pt match, and two other NCs fortunate to win by a pt each.

By my interpretation of the following rule:  "Grasping of Clothing" -- A contestant may grab nothing but his opponent while wrestling or this encroachment will be called. Furthermore, when a wrestler grasps his adversary's uniform to prevent him from scoring , the appropriate penalty point(s) will be given along with any points his opponent may have obtained.

Once the ref did not call timeout prior to the "grasping" occurring, he HAD TO call the violation.  Nowhere does it say that if the "clothing" was not on in the exact meant for fashion, that grasping it was no longer a penalty.

Simply put, Joseph did in fact grasp the headgear.  Now, I would call timeout almost immediately if the headgear gets dislodged without imminent action.  But, many refs do not.  That part is judgement.  The call is not.  I think it was called correctly, but the situation leading up to it could have been stopped prior to it happening.

Why so much talk about the Headgear call?

6-5 finish with call

6-4 finish without call

Because it was a rather unique situation that led up to the call and it COULD have mattered if Lewis was able to get a takedown(Although I am not sure anyone can take Joseph down with any sort of leg attack).  His "hip positioning" really seems to be as much about his upper leg strength/size.  Those thighs are massive and the strength and speed they exhibit when reacting is something special.

Edited by MSU158

By my interpretation of the following rule:  "Grasping of Clothing" -- A contestant may grab nothing but his opponent while wrestling or this encroachment will be called. Furthermore, when a wrestler grasps his adversary's uniform to prevent him from scoring , the appropriate penalty point(s) will be given along with any points his opponent may have obtained.

Once the ref did not call timeout prior to the "grasping" occurring, he HAD TO call the violation.  Nowhere does it say that if the "clothing" was not on in the exact meant for fashion, that grasping it was no longer a penalty.

Simply put, Joseph did in fact grasp the headgear.  Now, I would call timeout almost immediately if the headgear gets dislodged without imminent action.  But, many refs do not.  That part is judgement.  The call is not.  I think it was called correctly, but the situation leading up to it could have been stopped prior to it happening.

I agree. You said it better than I did.

The PSU contingent is losing me their minds, lol. What a soft group.

Your shot at a national title likely ended yesterday, and with the exception of Hall, none of your elite guys looked that great. Nickel wrestled like that vs Myles, it won’t be close.

1 complaint about a college kid tweeting? And thats the culture of the Program? You need to cry about something better!

yeah if one were to judge a program based on a wrestlers tweets, one might think PSU has some poor sports and sore losers.... a la DT after cox lost at worlds.

That’s all this is about. Rutgers has the nerve to actually compete, instead of simply rolling over.

Nolf injured in a 1pt match, and two other NCs fortunate to win by a pt each.

Nothing fortunate about those pt each wins.

They won, Rutgers didn't.  Close losses are great in middle school. In college a close loss is just a loss.

They won, Rutgers didn't. Close losses are great in middle school. In college a close loss is just a loss.

Says the PSU boot locker. Tough to crow when the matches are razor thin, you don’t realize this?

I know all about college wrestling, and I promise the two staffs left yesterday with different outlooks for their squads going forward.

Says the PSU boot locker. Tough to crow when the matches are razor thin, you don’t realize this?

I know all about college wrestling, and I promise the two staffs left yesterday with different outlooks for their squads going forward.

My PSU transcripts have nothing about boot locker - or boot licker, which is probably what you were going for?

And I know you know your college wrestling.  Is it because a PSU wrestler beat the **** out of you, or stole your girlfriend, that you're so bitter towards Penn State?

They won, Rutgers didn't. Close losses are great in middle school. In college a close loss is just a loss.

Claiming that close losses are "something to build on" or "a moral victory" is the college equivalent of a participation trophy. Happy or sad depends on what you're used to and what you expect I guess ...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Claiming that close losses are "something to build on" or "a moral victory" is the college equivalent of a participation trophy. Happy or sad depends on what you're used to and what you expect I guess ...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

If you don't think a close loss to someone that is supposed to blow you out builds major confidence, you don't know College Wrestling.  Now, I am not saying that Lewis or Gravina will end up beating either Joseph or Nickal, but they definitely believe they can even more so after those losses.

Simply put, lose 17-2, you can't just shrug it off(except maybe Caldwell via Metcalf).  Lose 6-5, your mental state is WAAAAAAY different.