gowrestle

RUTGERS PUNKS

It talks about the mat in the same sentence as ear protection. Obviously anyone grabbing the mat is a problem but grabbing your own headgear may or may not be an issue (to reposition properly is one thing but if doing it to gain some rest time is another)

Hence, it was a bad call.

I guess I equate it to missing a false start that would have negated the defensive holding call on the other side of the field from the play.  The defensive holding still occurred, and even if it didn't make a difference on the play, it should have been called. 

Still, like I said before, you see many refs let action continue with the head gear dislodged.  This comes down to judgement.  Plus, he very well may have missed it being dislodged.  Hard to miss, but you never know what they see.....

I like it that Rutgers wasn’t intimidated and was aggressive. Of course no one encourages injury or wants intentional harm. I remember us (ISU) heavily taping Nate Carr’s healthy shoulder to confuse opponents (his other arm was actually hurt).

Except the one Rutgers coach yelling "pull up on the leg"

Why am I defending Penn State anyways? Forget it.

Have always been a Rutgers fan but today, against Penn State, we looked like a bunch of drunk kids on their way to party with Snookie. Goodale, Pritzlaff, & Leonardis, and their team, left a bad mark on NJ wrestling.

What we all saw today is not good for Rutgers University.

Starting a thread by referring to all Rutgers wrestlers as punks, is offensive. DeLuca should have been DQ’d - and in fact, should be suspended for his behavior. And if Goodale doesn’t do that, shame on him. Aside from that it was a good match, with hard fought bouts. Terrible what happened to Nolf, but injuries happen, and it definitely did not look intentional. If I were a Penn State fan, I would probably be upset too, but aside from DeLuca, there’s absolutely no reason to call them punks.

Starting a thread by referring to all Rutgers wrestlers as punks, is offensive. DeLuca should have been DQ’d - and in fact, should be suspended for his behavior. And if Goodale doesn’t do that, shame on him. Aside from that it was a good match, with hard fought bouts. Terrible what happened to Nolf, but injuries happen, and it definitely did not look intentional. If I were a Penn State fan, I would probably be upset too, but aside from DeLuca, there’s absolutely no reason to call them punks.

I don't think they are all punks, just a handful of them.  Read their twitter pages.  DeLuca refers to the team as the DIRTY Jerz.  What message do you think he is trying to send?  Lewis is muttering something to Bo Nickal about getting knocked out. 

We'll see what happens at the B10's. 

I don't think they are all punks, just a handful of them. Read their twitter pages. DeLuca refers to the team as the DIRTY Jerz. What message do you think he is trying to send? Lewis is muttering something to Bo Nickal about getting knocked out.

For years Rutgers was a poor program. Everyone wanted them to have success. The problem is they and their fans don't know how to handle success.

It's a Jersey thing. It's like their proud to be obnoxious. Kinda like Yankee fans.

Sent from my XT1254 using Tapatalk

I see.  So what I read was simply an interpretation.  Still it does say that any such act is prohibited.  Now, I guess defining competitor/contestant as opponent is up to interpretation. But, I guess it could still be an issue if you had a hold and used your own "clothing" to lock your hand(s) in that hold.

I guess that rule needs an interpretation or another paragraph to take that ambiguity out.  Still, I think the call itself was correct, but letting it get to that point in the first place was not......

No, we don't need more paragraphs and "interpretations" in an attempt to remove all ambiguity from the rules.  We just need referees to exercise a little common sense.  When a wrestler's headgear becomes dislodged to the extent that it becomes a dangling necklace, it doesn't make common sense to charge a grasping violation.  The reviewing ref should have just had the two wrestlers restart in neutral at the point when the original ref should have stopped the action due to the headgear becoming dislodged.  In short, let's not get so hung up in technicalities about the "letter of the rule" that we lose sight of getting the call right.

That said, I understand your point that the "letter of the rule" must be followed because Cenzo did, in fact, grasp the headgear.  However, as I pointed out, following the same "letter of the rule" that you're advocating would also mean that adjusting one's own headgear would be a violation as well.   

Edited by HurricaneWrestling

I don't think they are all punks, just a handful of them.  Read their twitter pages.  DeLuca refers to the team as the DIRTY Jerz.  What message do you think he is trying to send?  Lewis is muttering something to Bo Nickal about getting knocked out. 

I have personally known quiet and respectful people who use the the term dirty jerz.  I am not sure there is a message there.  At least not one worse than throwing jabs during matches.  It is just a way of taking pride in something everyone else thinks "stinks".  Or so I always thought anyway being a resident myself.  I took a moment to consult the urban dictionary:

A term used to describe MOST(the best) parts of New Jersey, such as PARTS of North Jersey (201 area, Elizabeth, Newark, Etc.), and parts of South Jersey. For some reason, middle class white kids from suburbia NJ aka Sussex County like to say they are from the real Dirty Jerz. Sorry to burst your bubble kiddies, but... no.

parts of south jersey like camden or atlantic city. some of north jersey.
oh **** were lost in dirty jersey, roll the windows up.

A mixed drink, best enjoyed at house parties. Fill the largest cup possible with at least a splash of every liquor in the house. Add beer to taste. As the night continues, continue to top it off with other people's leftover drinks. It will become more and more disgusting by the end of the night, and you'll get freakishly drunk in the process. Ideally consumed in Jersey, but anywhere will do. You win the prize if you don't vomit.
"I made a Dirty Jersey at Sarah's birthday last night and feel like I got hit with a train full of dog****. I think there were 5 different kinds of whiskey in it by the end

1. A role of coins wrapped in electrical tape and used as a combat apparatus. This weapon is commonly found in New Jersey, hence its name.

2. A term used to define northern New Jersey or the New Jersey shore.

1. I didn't have my brass knuckles so I resorted to the dirty jersey.

2. We accidentally crossed the George Washington Bridge and ended up in dirty jersey.

I couldn't include the other 3 possibilities as they could be offensive to some.  But I am not sure they support the argument that dirty jerz is somehow a "tough guy" thing.  Richie Lewis sounds like a moron, and De Luca acted like one, but that isn't an indictment of the entire program.  

For a while, Rutgers wrestled soft.  Now they have a chip on their shoulder and get after it.  As a fan I definitely prefer this newer version.  If the president and the pope can fight on twitter with the public, I really don't see why wrestlers can't use it to posture a bit. 

Edited by ironmonkey

For years Rutgers was a poor program. Everyone wanted them to have success. The problem is they and their fans don't know how to handle success.

It's a Jersey thing. It's like their proud to be obnoxious. Kinda like Yankee fans.

Sent from my XT1254 using Tapatalk

And PSU fans.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

I have personally known quiet and respectful people who use the the term dirty jerz. I am not sure there is a message there. At least not one worse than throwing jabs during matches. It is just a way of taking pride in something everyone else thinks "stinks". Or so I always thought anyway being a resident myself. I took a moment to consult the urban dictionary:

dirty jersey

A term used to describe MOST(the best) parts of New Jersey, such as PARTS of North Jersey (201 area, Elizabeth, Newark, Etc.), and parts of South Jersey. For some reason, middle class white kids from suburbia NJ aka Sussex County like to say they are from the real Dirty Jerz. Sorry to burst your bubble kiddies, but... no.

dirty jersey

parts of south jersey like camden or atlantic city. some of north jersey.

oh **** were lost in dirty jersey, roll the windows up.

Dirty Jersey

A mixed drink, best enjoyed at house parties. Fill the largest cup possible with at least a splash of every liquor in the house. Add beer to taste. As the night continues, continue to top it off with other people's leftover drinks. It will become more and more disgusting by the end of the night, and you'll get freakishly drunk in the process. Ideally consumed in Jersey, but anywhere will do. You win the prize if you don't vomit.

"I made a Dirty Jersey at Sarah's birthday last night and feel like I got hit with a train full of dog****. I think there were 5 different kinds of whiskey in it by the end

dirty jersey

1. A role of coins wrapped in electrical tape and used as a combat apparatus. This weapon is commonly found in New Jersey, hence its name.

2. A term used to define northern New Jersey or the New Jersey shore.

1. I didn't have my brass knuckles so I resorted to the dirty jersey.

2. We accidentally crossed the George Washington Bridge and ended up in dirty jersey.

I couldn't include the other 3 possibilities as they could be offensive to some. But I am not sure they support the argument that dirty jerz is somehow a "tough guy" thing. Richie Lewis sounds like a moron, and De Luca acted like one, but that isn't an indictment of the entire program.

For a while, Rutgers wrestled soft. Now they have a chip on their shoulder and get after it. As a fan I definitely prefer this newer version. If the president and the pope can fight on twitter with the public, I really don't see why wrestlers can't use it to posture a bit.

Excellent retort. I get it. I think everyone wants to see Rutgers do well. With the in state talent, it should be a no brainer. I think the posturing thing works only if you back it up on the mat. DeLuca is running smack on twitter after getting smoked 14-2.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Correct. I should have been more specific. My apologies to those that don’t fall into the category. Looks like I did start a controversial thread. BTW: I am a Rutgers grad and am still disappointed in what happened. I have always been a fan of Goodale. Many of my previous posts have stood up for the former Jackson High School coach and former Lock Haven wrestler. I hope he deals with what happened. Did you see DelVecchio push the PSU’s kid face into the mat after the buzzer and then laugh at him. To me, that was the worst thing done by a Rutgers wrestler.