KSchlosser

Ohio State at Penn State is 87-1

I have been looking forward to Saturday nights dual for a year as have many. Like many, I will be one of masses watching it from home

Today I learned something I find very disappointing from a very good source that Penn State decided they would allocate 75 tickets to Ohio State. Rec Hall holds 6,502. While I realize you want to put your wrestlers or teams in the best position for success, talk about a stacked deck and a hostile environment.  While some Ohio State fans will get tickets from other sources, setting up the dual 87-1 seems like crap.

I recognize that Penn State and Iowa play mens basketball game at 6:00 pm in the Bryce Jordan Center, but that is where this dual belongs and Penn State knows it. Schedules can change and be adjusted at multiple times and Penn State failed to do so. Sources say Ohio State would not have refused to make adjustments to move venues or change the time. With that said, in my opinion, Penn State failed their fans, the Big Ten, and wrestling in general here.  Instead of pushing a sell out of over 15,000 in a venue that can facilitate it, they will settle for half that. 

It is the Nittany Lions perogative on how many tickets they allocate to a visiting team in any sport. At the same time it should be noted that the visitors are paying for the tickets in the vast, vast majority of the casess unless they agree to a wash. I hope other schools pay attention to this situation and take it into consideration when they decide what they are going to do in the future for any sport or any opponent. 

It should be at BJC, but that allows for the drunks from Clearfield to harass the opposing teams fans.

Maybe, it's a good thing that it's in Rec Hall.

Hopefully, the fans will riot after the loss and tear the high school gym (Rec Hall) to the ground.

Sent from my XT1254 using Tapatalk

I love everything about it. I would be happy if they allocated zero tickets to OSU. The NCAAs, which will be the basis in which history will judge these two teams, will be on equal footing. (I know it is Cleveland) If I were OSU, I would give the tickets back and play the 300 speech to my team before the match.

Feel bad for the Vegas Raiders. Every visiting team's fan base will make that their vacation destination the week their team plays there.

In Nov 2012 PSU allocated 75 tickets Lehigh fans. And these seats sucked. in 2014 they cut it down to less than 40. Of course an awful lot of Lehigh fans are Pa taxpayers (probably a couple $million of what PSU gets from the Commonwealth)  Lehigh finally got into BJC 2016.

In 1975 PSU had a one ticket double header at Rec. BBall with Army at noon (maybe 2000 fans with half of them early Lehigh fans) and 8000 for LU-PSU wrestling at 3:00. Actually it was 4 events that day, they had another 8,000 for a M+W Gymnastics match with Kurt Thomas's Indiana State team.  Of course the Harrisburg paper had twice as much coverage of BB as the other events combined.

More of a shame, 9000 PSU fans will not be able to witness it in person. I was at the Iowa match a couple of years ago at BJC and was perhaps the best match I've ever attended.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

Ryan begged OSU fans to show up last year, then wrestled a lot of back ups. He has no right to complain about anything.

So Bo Jordan not wrestling due to injury "a lot of backups"

But, don't worry about the truth, just like in the real world, you say something misleading and untrue and people still like your post.

Here was the lineup Tom Ryan "begged" people to show up to see:

https://www.landof10.com/ohio-state/ohio-state-wrestling-penn-state-time-tv-channel-watch-online-2017

So Bo Jordan not wrestling due to injury "a lot of backups"

But, don't worry about the truth, just like in the real world, you say something misleading and untrue and people still like your post.

Here was the lineup Tom Ryan "begged" people to show up to see:

https://www.landof10.com/ohio-state/ohio-state-wrestling-penn-state-time-tv-channel-watch-online-2017

They wrestled Anthony DeCarlo too. Pretty sure he was a back up, just as Kresevich was a back up top Bo Jordan. This year's dual is in Recf Hall because Bryce Jordan already had a contract with Men's basketball. 

Edited by TBar1977

There is no Penn State fan who is going to miss the dual for lack of a ticket who prefers the smaller arena. Regardless of what Tom Ryan did last year, and it was wrong then, this is wrong now. And having the dual in the smaller arena and winning it or losing it or drawing or whatever is not going to affect either team's chances of winning an NCAA title.

They wrestled Anthony DeCarlo too. Pretty sure he was a back up, just as Kresevich was a back up top Bo Jordan. This year's dual is in Recf Hall because Bryce Jordan already had a contract with Men's basketball. 

Jake Ryan was also injured and didn't wrestle the whole month of February.  His last match before B1Gs was on 1/27 against Iowa.  I know you have an agenda against Ryan, and he may have even earned some of his reputation, but at least do the research in this case......

Also, as far as Bo goes, he was handled with kid's gloves the whole season.  40% of the matches he wrestled were the B1G and NCAA's.  Another 25% was the very first event, the Storm Open.

I don't have a problem with Penn State hosting the dual at Rec Hall. That is their venue. It is their hostile home. Sell it out. Keep demand high. Keep the intimate environment.

I wish more teams would compete in more intimate environments, even when they have the ability to sell some more tickets.

As for ticket allotments, I have no problem with Penn State giving very few tickets.  Ohio State has the same option when they host.

As for non-conference duals, the teams agree to the terms. Teams are free to refuse to wrestle at Penn State, unless they are provided with enough tickets, a return trip, or cash. Which is exactly what Lehigh has been doing. They have hosted Penn State at Stabler (5,909 in attendance) and PPL (9,896 in attendance) in the last three years which has allowed them to sell a lot of tickets.  Both programs benefit from the agreement and fans in different parts of the state have benefitted from the agreement.