Sign in to follow this  
Peso

David Taylor

Nice job young man! 

I wonder if the weight cut was hard.  He had a difficult beginning, but that was probably more just the opposition.  Anyway, David wrestles a style that is beginning to look familiar.  Cael, David, now Jason.  I would call it the scoring machine style.  I've been watching this sport for a long time.  All credit to the professor.  When Cael graduated, I thought we'd never see anyone wrestle like that again.  Both David Taylor and Jason Nolf have proven me wrong.  This really is a style that can be taught and repeated.  It's what Iowans thought the Iowa Style was, and what OSU thought their technical and strategical advantages were.  The combination of the footwork from the old stance and motion days, and the clearing and controlling tie-ups like masters of martial arts, combined with fakes and feigns is just beautiful to watch.  I know John Smith is going to coach for a while still, but I would love to see this kid wearing an orange coaching vest one day. 

I was worried after the Cuba match but he got better as the tournament went on. Was also cool to see him integrate moves you basically only ever see in folk into free. That's hard for the rest of the world to plan for. 

I was worried after the Cuba match but he got better as the tournament went on. Was also cool to see him integrate moves you basically only ever see in folk into free. That's hard for the rest of the world to plan for. 

I think DT has issues wrestling black wrestlers..HAAHAHAH IM kidding but common Jenkins, JB, Cox, tough time vs Cuban...

I think DT has issues wrestling black wrestlers..HAAHAHAH IM kidding but common Jenkins, JB, Cox, tough time vs Cuban...

He has issues against freakishly strong guys. Black? Ha maybe but Dake is about as northern euro as you can get but the common theme is freakishly strong. Yazdani is not a freak therefore Taylor's style is made for him while Yazdani does extremely well against the hulks.  

Speaking of OSU, and as a fan of that team (and of course, the legendary John Smith), I am wondering where are the OSU wrestlers on the U.S. national team? I was hoping to see Alex D. make some noise or Oliver. Alex D wrestled Zaseev I think in the final of the junior worlds. I think his style should be good internationally. May be he goes to 79kg too? Its unfortunate that OSU has no wrestlers on the USA team given they are one of the best teams...I don't know if that is political or what, yet Smith is a coach of the team...Weird!

Not politics.  You have to win your place there.  Iowa and Okie St used to have the majority of folks but not so much anymore. 

Gilman - Iowa

Steiber - tOSU

Retherford - PSU

Green - NEB

Burroughs - NEB

Cox - MISS

Snyder - tOSU

Gwiz - North Carolina State

Nebraska and tOSU seem to be the leaders currently.  With 10 on the next team, there will be more parity.  It ebbs and flows.  But I really don't think politics plays a part. 

mspart

Not politics.  You have to win your place there.  Iowa and Okie St used to have the majority of folks but not so much anymore. 

Gilman - Iowa

Steiber - tOSU

Retherford - PSU

Green - NEB

Burroughs - NEB

Cox - MISS

Snyder - tOSU

Nebraska and tOSU seem to be the leaders currently.  With 10 on the next team, there will be more parity.  It ebbs and flows.  But I really don't think politics plays a part. 

mspart

2018 team

Gilman - Iowa

Steiber - tOSU

Retherford - PSU

GHulk - PSU

Burroughs - NEB

Dake  COR

Taylor PSU

Cox - MISS

Snyder - tOSU

Edited by PRyan2012

2018 team

Gilman - Iowa

Steiber - tOSU

Retherford - PSU

GHulk - PSU

Burroughs - NEB

Dake COR

Taylor PSU

Cox - MISS

Snyder - tOSU

Should the school be based on where they went to college? Where they train?

How long is Ghulk PSU?

Gwiz trains at PSU regularly too. What if he moves there this year?

Watching Taylor go folk style and destroy the opponents with those techniques was just outstanding.    The international wrestlers for the most part don't get good looks at those types of techniques and it may be something USA exploits further down the road

Watching Taylor go folk style and destroy the opponents with those techniques was just outstanding.    The international wrestlers for the most part don't get good looks at those types of techniques and it may be something USA exploits further down the road

Serious question:  Why aren't more folkstyle top game mechanics being used?  Is there something in the FS rulebook that states that certain moves are not allowed from top?  My apologies for by "Noobness", but I'd seriously like to know. 

Taylor's folkstyle-like top game seemed to blow away those international guys, like they were completely unprepared.  If that is the case, why isn't Logie doing that, as his top game in folk was the predecessor to Zain's top game.

Serious question:  Why aren't more folkstyle top game mechanics being used?  Is there something in the FS rulebook that states that certain moves are not allowed from top?  My apologies for by "Noobness", but I'd seriously like to know. 

Taylor's folkstyle-like top game seemed to blow away those international guys, like they were completely unprepared.  If that is the case, why isn't Logie doing that, as his top game in folk was the predecessor to Zain's top game.

It's pretty much all works, but bottom guy doesn't have to get to a base and you've only got a few seconds before the ref brings you up. Steiber did use a lot of his bars during his worlds run in '16. They are not at prevalent though, because the bottom guy can stall.

I think there's a belief in general the top man may give up an exposure if too aggressive with a folk style top approach.   I'm not buying it though.  We saw Taylor hit a crab ride.     When's the last time a crab ride was hit at the Yarigyn or anywhere in Russia for that matter?   

Our freestyle world championship teams are entirely comprised of folkstyle wrestlers.   I'm hoping the Taylor folk explosion is a sign of things to come.    If  USA is already #1 in the world without much of the folk techniques being used, what happens when folk is unleashed on the world?    

Steiber and Retherford also use a lot of folkstyle moves in their freestyle bouts.  American wrestlers, of course, generally bring a lot more motion and 7 minute stamina/endurance to their matches than their European counterparts (whose positions and technique are arguably better), and that of course comes in part from the training over (and hence "gas tanks" built up through) long high school and college seasons.