24 replies to this topic

#1 Peso

Peso

Bronze Member

• Members
  • 427 posts

Posted 29 January 2018 - 09:15 PM

Nice job young man! 

I wonder if the weight cut was hard.  He had a difficult beginning, but that was probably more just the opposition.  Anyway, David wrestles a style that is beginning to look familiar.  Cael, David, now Jason.  I would call it the scoring machine style.  I've been watching this sport for a long time.  All credit to the professor.  When Cael graduated, I thought we'd never see anyone wrestle like that again.  Both David Taylor and Jason Nolf have proven me wrong.  This really is a style that can be taught and repeated.  It's what Iowans thought the Iowa Style was, and what OSU thought their technical and strategical advantages were.  The combination of the footwork from the old stance and motion days, and the clearing and controlling tie-ups like masters of martial arts, combined with fakes and feigns is just beautiful to watch.  I know John Smith is going to coach for a while still, but I would love to see this kid wearing an orange coaching vest one day. 

• stp likes this

#2 PSUMike

PSUMike

Silver Member

• Members
  • 1,248 posts

Posted 30 January 2018 - 07:48 AM

I was worried after the Cuba match but he got better as the tournament went on. Was also cool to see him integrate moves you basically only ever see in folk into free. That's hard for the rest of the world to plan for. 

• cjc007 likes this

#3 Abdullahgadzhi Khuzin

Abdullahgadzhi Khuzin

Silver Member

• Members
  • 1,921 posts

Posted 30 January 2018 - 08:25 AM

I was worried after the Cuba match but he got better as the tournament went on. Was also cool to see him integrate moves you basically only ever see in folk into free. That's hard for the rest of the world to plan for. 

if u wrestler u know how hard make first match in tournament 

• Coach_J likes this
The opinions and views expressed in my posts, are intended to promote Russian international styles wrestling and international wrestling in general. Please excuse misspellings, misunderstandings, or misinterpretations. I am doing my very best to communicate in English, but it is a work in progress. I speak several languages, but I am still learning context, culture, and local tradition. I love USA and I am doing my best to be a great ambassador. Thank you for understanding.

#4 Abdullahgadzhi Khuzin

Abdullahgadzhi Khuzin

Silver Member

• Members
  • 1,921 posts

Posted 30 January 2018 - 08:26 AM

David is future USA 86 kilos. Yazdani moved up, he hide from Penn State Bigfoot

• OKnowwhut, steamboat_charlie and herma48852 like this
The opinions and views expressed in my posts, are intended to promote Russian international styles wrestling and international wrestling in general. Please excuse misspellings, misunderstandings, or misinterpretations. I am doing my very best to communicate in English, but it is a work in progress. I speak several languages, but I am still learning context, culture, and local tradition. I love USA and I am doing my best to be a great ambassador. Thank you for understanding.

#5 CaliWrestler

CaliWrestler

Bronze Member

• Members
  • 173 posts

Posted 31 January 2018 - 04:06 AM

I think DT has issues wrestling black wrestlers..HAAHAHAH IM kidding but common Jenkins, JB, Cox, tough time vs Cuban...

#6 rpm002

rpm002

Bronze Member

• Members
  • 313 posts

Posted 31 January 2018 - 04:15 AM

Torreblanca won Pan Ams last year, including beating the Venezuelan who got 5th in the Olympics 12-6.  He is no slouch.

#7 PRyan2012

PRyan2012

Gold Member

• Members
  • 3,044 posts

Posted 31 January 2018 - 06:36 AM

I think DT has issues wrestling black wrestlers..HAAHAHAH IM kidding but common Jenkins, JB, Cox, tough time vs Cuban...

He has issues against freakishly strong guys. Black? Ha maybe but Dake is about as northern euro as you can get but the common theme is freakishly strong. Yazdani is not a freak therefore Taylor's style is made for him while Yazdani does extremely well against the hulks.  

#8 wfan24

wfan24

Bronze Member

• Members
  • 391 posts

Posted 31 January 2018 - 10:56 AM

Speaking of OSU, and as a fan of that team (and of course, the legendary John Smith), I am wondering where are the OSU wrestlers on the U.S. national team? I was hoping to see Alex D. make some noise or Oliver. Alex D wrestled Zaseev I think in the final of the junior worlds. I think his style should be good internationally. May be he goes to 79kg too? Its unfortunate that OSU has no wrestlers on the USA team given they are one of the best teams...I don't know if that is political or what, yet Smith is a coach of the team...Weird!

#9 mspart

mspart

Gold Member

• Members
  • 6,144 posts

Posted 01 February 2018 - 05:05 AM

Not politics.  You have to win your place there.  Iowa and Okie St used to have the majority of folks but not so much anymore. 

Gilman - Iowa

Steiber - tOSU

Retherford - PSU

Green - NEB

Burroughs - NEB

Cox - MISS

Snyder - tOSU

Gwiz - North Carolina State

Nebraska and tOSU seem to be the leaders currently.  With 10 on the next team, there will be more parity.  It ebbs and flows.  But I really don't think politics plays a part. 

mspart

#10 PRyan2012

PRyan2012

Gold Member

• Members
  • 3,044 posts

Posted 01 February 2018 - 05:41 AM

Not politics.  You have to win your place there.  Iowa and Okie St used to have the majority of folks but not so much anymore. 

Gilman - Iowa

Steiber - tOSU

Retherford - PSU

Green - NEB

Burroughs - NEB

Cox - MISS

Snyder - tOSU

Nebraska and tOSU seem to be the leaders currently.  With 10 on the next team, there will be more parity.  It ebbs and flows.  But I really don't think politics plays a part. 

mspart

2018 team

Gilman - Iowa

Steiber - tOSU

Retherford - PSU

GHulk - PSU

Burroughs - NEB

Dake  COR

Taylor PSU

Cox - MISS

Snyder - tOSU

Edited by PRyan2012, 01 February 2018 - 05:42 AM.

• TBar1977 likes this

#11 Perry

Perry

Gold Member

• Members
  • 2,715 posts

Posted 01 February 2018 - 06:19 AM

Think hulk takes out green? Will Steiber be at 61 or 65? Salty line up either way.
  • PRyan2012 likes this

#12 vsnej

vsnej

Gold Member

• Members
  • 4,275 posts

Posted 01 February 2018 - 07:39 AM

...no problem with Mr. Ruth

I Throw... therefore I Know...

#13 hammerlockthree

hammerlockthree

Gold Member

• Members
  • 3,546 posts

Posted 01 February 2018 - 08:54 AM

Oh wow now I don't buy into that theory. 

#14 CaliWrestler

CaliWrestler

Bronze Member

• Members
  • 173 posts

Posted 01 February 2018 - 10:30 AM

Ruth checked out, he was headed to MMA

• pjm46 likes this

#15 lonewolf

lonewolf

Bronze Member

• Members
  • 109 posts

Posted 01 February 2018 - 03:26 PM

Torreblanca won Pan Ams last year, including beating the Venezuelan who got 5th in the Olympics 12-6.  He is no slouch.

Well, I think he's tremendous slouch.

#16 BigTenFanboy

BigTenFanboy

Gold Member

• Members
  • 5,031 posts

Posted 01 February 2018 - 03:29 PM

https://youtu.be/KXw_tCaB22w

#17 Housebuye

Housebuye

Gold Member

• Members
  • 4,581 posts

Posted 03 February 2018 - 03:09 AM

2018 team
Gilman - Iowa
Steiber - tOSU
Retherford - PSU
GHulk - PSU
Burroughs - NEB
Dake COR
Taylor PSU
Cox - MISS
Snyder - tOSU

Should the school be based on where they went to college? Where they train?

How long is Ghulk PSU?

Gwiz trains at PSU regularly too. What if he moves there this year?

#18 PRyan2012

PRyan2012

Gold Member

• Members
  • 3,044 posts

Posted 04 February 2018 - 10:32 AM

I was just being biased for PSU. I really think it should be where they went to school when they competed. I would like to claim Gwiz as well:-) He trains with Varner at the NLWC.  

#19 Cletus_Tucker

Cletus_Tucker

Gold Member

• Members
  • 3,361 posts

Posted 04 February 2018 - 05:29 PM

Watching Taylor go folk style and destroy the opponents with those techniques was just outstanding.    The international wrestlers for the most part don't get good looks at those types of techniques and it may be something USA exploits further down the road

• PRyan2012 and Yellow_Medal like this

#20 Abdullahgadzhi Khuzin

Abdullahgadzhi Khuzin

Silver Member

• Members
  • 1,921 posts

Posted 05 February 2018 - 02:47 AM

Watching Taylor go folk style and destroy the opponents with those techniques was just outstanding.    The international wrestlers for the most part don't get good looks at those types of techniques and it may be something USA exploits further down the road

congrats Eagles !!

• PSUMike likes this

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users