• Please log in to reply
24 replies to this topic

#21 treep2000

treep2000

Bronze Member

• Members
  • 875 posts

Posted 05 February 2018 - 06:04 AM

Watching Taylor go folk style and destroy the opponents with those techniques was just outstanding.    The international wrestlers for the most part don't get good looks at those types of techniques and it may be something USA exploits further down the road

Serious question:  Why aren't more folkstyle top game mechanics being used?  Is there something in the FS rulebook that states that certain moves are not allowed from top?  My apologies for by "Noobness", but I'd seriously like to know. 

Taylor's folkstyle-like top game seemed to blow away those international guys, like they were completely unprepared.  If that is the case, why isn't Logie doing that, as his top game in folk was the predecessor to Zain's top game.

#22 Ching

Ching

Bronze Member

• Members
  • 245 posts

Posted 05 February 2018 - 06:53 AM

Serious question:  Why aren't more folkstyle top game mechanics being used?  Is there something in the FS rulebook that states that certain moves are not allowed from top?  My apologies for by "Noobness", but I'd seriously like to know. 

Taylor's folkstyle-like top game seemed to blow away those international guys, like they were completely unprepared.  If that is the case, why isn't Logie doing that, as his top game in folk was the predecessor to Zain's top game.

It's pretty much all works, but bottom guy doesn't have to get to a base and you've only got a few seconds before the ref brings you up. Steiber did use a lot of his bars during his worlds run in '16. They are not at prevalent though, because the bottom guy can stall.

Follow @_Homme

#23 Cletus_Tucker

Cletus_Tucker

Gold Member

• Members
  • 3,066 posts

Posted 05 February 2018 - 07:37 AM

I think there's a belief in general the top man may give up an exposure if too aggressive with a folk style top approach.   I'm not buying it though.  We saw Taylor hit a crab ride.     When's the last time a crab ride was hit at the Yarigyn or anywhere in Russia for that matter?   

Our freestyle world championship teams are entirely comprised of folkstyle wrestlers.   I'm hoping the Taylor folk explosion is a sign of things to come.    If  USA is already #1 in the world without much of the folk techniques being used, what happens when folk is unleashed on the world?    

• Yellow_Medal likes this

#24 Workers` Wrestling

Workers` Wrestling
  • Members
  • 41 posts

Posted 05 February 2018 - 08:50 PM

I guess now we don`t  have to worry about the future of folkstyle in the US. Not so long ago there were a lot of voices within wrestling community calling for it to be replaced with freestyle.

#25 dmm53

dmm53

Bronze Member

• Members
  • 175 posts

Posted 07 February 2018 - 06:13 AM

Steiber and Retherford also use a lot of folkstyle moves in their freestyle bouts.  American wrestlers, of course, generally bring a lot more motion and 7 minute stamina/endurance to their matches than their European counterparts (whose positions and technique are arguably better), and that of course comes in part from the training over (and hence "gas tanks" built up through) long high school and college seasons.  

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users