RetiredPoster

Anyone else think John Smith's job is in jeopardy?

It will interesting to see the trajectory of his team over the remainder of the season. I think they'll finish strong and get a trophy.

And be in title contention the next 2 years.

Smith won't step down until a superstar emerges from OSU and that superstar may be Fix.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

The Cowboys have not won in a long time.  Is it time for a change at Okie State? 

Probably the same idiots who believe TnT are on the hot seats in Iowa, think its time for a change at Okie State.

It will interesting to see the trajectory of his team over the remainder of the season. I think they'll finish strong and get a trophy.

IDK

Piccinni isn't a title contender, Brock is scoutable and seems to find ways to lose to people he should major, Heil can't beat his own...., Rodgers' gunslinging is hit and miss, smith is half pissed off at Moore....The lineup seems to have already found its up side. 

Edited by hammerlockthree

6x World Championships and 5x team championships under his belt? I don’t think so. He’s a good coach. He’s been in top 10 so many years. His winning percentage is top among active coaches. His 5 team championships is second among active coaches. So, no.

I'd be curious how many years he's been top 5.

I'd be curious how many years he's been top 5.

In 26 seasons he coached, his team finished in top 5 nineteen times. It would have been 20 times, had his team not been sanctioned from the 1993 NCAAs to no fault of his. Edited by Buckeyebison

I won't speculate, on how long, but I agree, we can use a couple more dingers!  John is a great coach.  They almost always hire from within.  After Tommy Chesbro had a long streak they fired him and shook it up by bringing in Joe Seay from Cal Bakersfield.  He ended the drought.  One would assume that when John decides to step down, there will be a Kenny!  (Both John and Kenny were considered for the job the last time)

Who is that now?  I just don't see the kind of "special" that John brought.  Who knows, maybe a Daton Fix, or someone we don't even know.  I imagine it will be a Poke, but stranger things have happened.  Not that I am connecting any kind of dots here, but I would love to see David Taylor hired as an assistant coach.  I'm no rocket scientist, but I did take up space in college.  He would immediately improve our already solid recruiting and bring a style that I would pay big money to see.  I'm an extremely big fan of the entire Smith/Perry families, and I know for a fact there are some good coaching genes in the young guns.  Losing Pat and Mark seemed to hurt, and Branch, and Eric.  

I'd think Mark Branch would be a natural fit in Stillwater. Pat might be a good choice if he's overcome his personal issues, I think people forget how great he was in college.

I'd think Mark Branch would be a natural fit in Stillwater. Pat might be a good choice if he's overcome his personal issues, I think people forget how great he was in college.

Branch has planted very deep roots in Laramie with his family. I think it would take an awful lot to steal him from Wyoming. Not saying it’s not impossible but I sure hope it is

That thread is gold. Thank you lol.

The thread mentioned that Geo Martinez is out for the season which I hadn't heard previously. Can anyone confirm ?

OSU is a trophy contender this season and will be even stronger next season with Fix, Gfeller, & Joe Smith.

IMO, John Smith is in no danger of being replaced before he is ready to had over the reins.

The thread mentioned that Geo Martinez is out for the season which I hadn't heard previously. Can anyone confirm ?

OSU is a trophy contender this season and will be even stronger next season with Fix, Gfeller, & Joe Smith.

IMO, John Smith is in no danger of being replaced before he is ready to had over the reins.

The hidden upside of Heil tanking this year is that they don't lose that much when he graduates.  Kind of like how it was easy to replace Collica's points.  

Penn State is now getting kids that use to head to Iowa, OSU, and others. Rutgers will start doing the same. Twenty years ago the top guys from the east thought they needed to head west to get top coaching. The landscape of college wrestling has changed.

Anyway, I think John Smith is a great coach and person.

Rutgers? Think someone started happy hour a bit early... :)

I love Branch, and Pat, but they are getting long in the tooth for this job.  John is just a few years their senior.

This is a dumb Q, but does Ok State still have an RTC style Cowboy WC? I assume so but am not certain. Anyway, would it affect Okie State's ability to recruit, develop or retain post-collegiate talent at the same level as the other blue chip wrestling programs?