RetiredPoster

Anyone else think John Smith's job is in jeopardy?

Wouldn't Pat Popolizio be the front runner for the job if Smith retires?  I cannot confirm this, but it is my understanding that Pop has mentioned he is highly interested in the job if it were to ever come open. 

Pop has spent his entire coaching career on the east coast. I would be surprised if he came back to Stillwater. 

I'm assuming it will end up being the most internal hire possible and it is Chris Perry when the time comes.

They need a couple in house hammers like dinger who can quickly stop the bleeding, and pile up some bonus points.    They will probably get some Ohio guys  with Zeke Jordan on staff..  Not sure Chris Perry does him any good as far as future recruits..  Just dont seem to have any grit..   when is starts going bad, they go into a tail spin.

They have a couple hammers waiting in the wings: Fix and Gfeller. Won't be enough but will definitely help.

Wouldn't Pat Popolizio be the front runner for the job if Smith retires?  I cannot confirm this, but it is my understanding that Pop has mentioned he is highly interested in the job if it were to ever come open. 

Good Lord has Popolizio ever BEEN to Oklahoma?? Standard of living wise he'd be stepping back about 30 years.

Good Lord has Popolizio ever BEEN to Oklahoma?? Standard of living wise he'd be stepping back about 30 years.

Prior to entering the coaching ranks, Popolizio was a decorated wrestler during his student-athlete career for Oklahoma State coach John Smith, a six-time world champion. Among his highlights during his collegiate career:

• Three-time NCAA qualifier

• Won greater than 90 matches

• Ranked No. 1 in the country at 184 pounds during senior year

• Helped lead Oklahoma State to Top 5 national finishes (second, third, third and fifth) at NCAA Championships in each of his four seasons in Stillwater

• Big 12 runner-up in 1998 and 2002

• Fifth at the World Team Trials in 2003

• 2002 Oklahoma State Hustle Award

This is a dumb Q, but does Ok State still have an RTC style Cowboy WC? I assume so but am not certain. Anyway, would it affect Okie State's ability to recruit, develop or retain post-collegiate talent at the same level as the other blue chip wrestling programs?

isn't Fix's dad the coach of the RTC now?

I'd think Mark Branch would be a natural fit in Stillwater. Pat might be a good choice if he's overcome his personal issues, I think people forget how great he was in college.

Pat Smith will never get the job.

He did not graduate and if he has no degree, no head coaching job at Oklahoma State.

He is an alcoholic.

He burned bridges leaving the school and administration has a long memory.

derek fix is heading up the OSU RTC now... about 6 hours after graduation, the fix's house was sold and they all moved to stillwater...

Ah - thanks! Was wondering bc I hadn't heard much about the club lately and haven't found much about the RTC online (or maybe I'm looking in the wrong places).

Pat Smith will never get the job.

He did not graduate and if he has no degree, no head coaching job at Oklahoma State.

He is an alcoholic.

He burned bridges leaving the school and administration has a long memory.

'He is an alcoholic.'  Can't tell if this is meant to smear him or just a statement of fact, but obviously this is not by itself a disqualifier.  Read about Brad Penrith.  Back in the dark ages (early 90's?), AWN had a story about Penrith's long battle.  Gable tossed him off the team a few times, finally said we've given him several chances, certainly seemed to close the door on him.  Penrith says he probably would have been dead in a few years, when he finally turned it around, only his girlfriend (later wife) and Rico Chiapparelli stood by him.  Not surprisingly, Gable was very leery when Penrith approached him yet again, but finally gave him another chance - says a lot about Gable, actually. While Penrith didn't have a lot of success at UNI, by all appearances he's winning the big battle day by day.

Having said that, no clue on what the situation is with Pat Smith, and if he never got a degree, it's a nonstarter.  If his own brother John can't get him back in at OSU, there is something behind the scenes that keeps him out.  Or it's self-imposed - maybe Pat knows enough to stay away from old cronies or such that did him no favors.