Sign in to follow this  
headshuck

Nickerson in his prime vs 125 field?

The field. Nickerson was an elite recruit never really reached expectations because of injury. Amazing high school career. Still would consider lee and suriano as just as good if not better recruits coming in and maybe NATO also. McDonough is an interesting match for anyone when he is healthy. Hes long, high paced and scrambles well. Stylistically he brings challenges. But this weight class has too much young talent. 2 former champs and neither are ranked 1. Next year if fix comes into it, 125 will be even more interesting.

Where would you fit Nico Megaludis in this? He went 2 2 3 1 @ NCAAs. I would assume he would rank very high among these individuals.

Nico was great but he never really got better. Wrestled hard, great on bottom, horrible on top, just not a lot of evolving there. I don't think he was compares to the guys we are talking about.....

How about field vs all multiple time champs at 125-126 since the 90's

90-92 Terry Brands 1-2-1

96-99 Eric Guerrero 5-1-1-1(133)

98-99 01-02 Stephan Abas 4-1-1-1

04-06 Joe Dubuque 8-1-1

10-12 Matt McDonough 1-2-1

12-14 Jesse Delgado 7-1-1

Terry Brands Teched two returning NCAA Champions in his career....pretty amazing stat.

Nico was great but he never really got better. Wrestled hard, great on bottom, horrible on top, just not a lot of evolving there. I don't think he was compares to the guys we are talking about.....

The biggest jump in Nico's career was during his true freshman season when he realized to beat the top D1 guys, he really had to up his tempo and intensity of his wrestling. Once he did that, he started beating the top guys all the way to the finals.

I agree, Nico is in the 2nd tier of career 125's.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

Here are a couple of others I would offer up...

Stephen Abas in his prime or the field?

Eric Guerrero wrestled 3 yrs @ 126, then 1 @ 133, so would you take the 125 field or Guerrero pre-133?

125 and 126 are not the same weight class.  126 and 133 are equivalent, Guerrero and Brands shouldn't be in the mix.

If we are doing that, might as well throw 1990-1992 Terry Brands. Went 1-2-1 at 126 and a world title the next year

Edited by ionel

Where would you fit Nico Megaludis in this? He went 2 2 3 1 @ NCAAs. I would assume he would rank very high among these individuals.

Seeing that Tomasello had multiple win over Megaludis I would say it is easy to leave him out. Not that he wasnt great

Prescott made a short journey to 126... until he faced Terry Brands. That was one serious butt whipping TB laid on JP.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I've seen that video....I want to see their match that ended in double disqualification. 

I think if any of them could have 3 World age level titles, they would have had them.  I know its freestyle, but if he pulls it off this season in this field, he passes all of them.  I would like to believe the match-up beginning next season will be Schultz/Banach type of epic match.