hammerlockthree

Get on Kanen Storrs Twitter

Did I say that? Shoving toward the locker room means a whole lot different thing thing than shoving up against the wall or shoving to the ground. So the simple fact that someone's reactionary thought to a social media post that mentions shove is to fire? Good grief...

I think a point that could be made from what youre both saying is "context is important"  - I dont know the "whole" story, so yeah, maybe a firing is a bit much until more is known. At the same time though, is it okay to look the other way when an adult shoves a kid? Probably not. 

I do think its possible Kanen felt unsafe, or that maybe he felt like he was in hostile territory for being "left overs" of the old regime. I really have no way of knowing. Again, context is very important. 

A shove coupled with "Get the hell out of here" is a d!ck move in this situation.  If Kanen were arguing with the ref, his opponent, the opposing coach, a fan, yes, a shove with the directive to move along would be appropriate.  Not what happened though.  A stooge move by someone playing bad cop tough guy.  And couple it with the full context of Zadick blackmailing him with the transfer waiver ultimatum, and you see a clear patten of actions meant to run the kid off.

Knowing Kanen, he's not afraid of Metcalf.  It's a matter of basic coaching professionalism.

Edited by Coach_J

The young man got recruited to one situation and didn't like the situation he got instead.  Not a big deal.  Personality conflict and no reason to Parcel out blame.  

Anyone that thinks pushing a kid toward the locker room is bad shouldn't wrestle for a coach who would do that.  

Good luck to ISU and good luck to Storr.  I think ISU will be fine with the kids they recruit who want to be there, and if Storr is the young man some in this thread say he is, he will be more than fine going forward.  

Not that I’m disputing his story necessarily or that Zadick used the transfer as a blackmail tactic but there has to be a lot more to this story than what we’ve heard. Call me crazy but I don’t know of too many coaches that are gonna tell a top 15 ranked kid, hey you want to leave you can leave now and pack your stuff, all after that Sunday situation. That was the straw that broke the camels back I’m sure but there had to be a lot more that led up to that on both sides that caused the coaching staff to willingly cut ties that quick.

A shove coupled with "Get the hell out of here" is a d!ck move in this situation.  If Kanen were arguing with the ref, his opponent, the opposing coach, a fan, yes, a shove with the directive to move along would be appropriate.  Not what happened though.  A stooge move by someone playing bad cop tough guy.  And couple it with the full context of Zadick blackmailing him with the transfer waiver ultimatum, and you see a clear patten of actions meant to run the kid off.

Knowing Kanen, he's not afraid of Metcalf.  It's a matter of basic coaching professionalism.

Well now that you say it that way, yeah he said the H-word to him also.. fire metcalf. It is January 21st, is it possible that the coaches had tried coddling to Kanens feelings already this year up to this point? The kids on scholarship and a leader. He needs to perform for a rebuilding team, but never really believed in the coaching staffs philosophy(telling them what he needed and complaining because he didn't get it).

إرْهابيّ Zadick or Metcalf shouldn’t be intimidating at all....

This type of stuff has been going on for along time (old regime/new regime) ...it’s over now, he got his release, he needs to find the fit for him. Life is not fair... if the staff is running rough shot, it will oooze out again....

Metcalf was trying to be a tough-love mentor. Which I’m sure he learned it from brands...Who do it half-assed. Because they learned it from gable, who actually did it extremely well.

But what made Gable so great was he knew who to tough-love and who to back off of.  He was the master of reading the individual and adapting his coaching accordingly.

Well now that you say it that way, yeah he said the H-word to him also.. fire metcalf. It is January 21st, is it possible that the coaches had tried coddling to Kanens feelings already this year up to this point? The kids on scholarship and a leader. He needs to perform for a rebuilding team, but never really believed in the coaching staffs philosophy(telling them what he needed and complaining because he didn't get it).

Please show me where I ever said to fire Metcalf.  Why is asking to review film asking to be coddled?  You're making many logical leaps here.

Coach_J I get it that you know Kanen and think he is a good kid. I'm sure he is, but even good kids can be cancers in a room for a new staff when they refuse to buy in, and sympathize with the former staff.

Absolutely agree with you.  But there is a way to professionally handle the matter.  I don't believe that was done.

That Twitter post should be titled, "Sonnet of a snowflake."

He just unwittingly confirmed NCAA violations on behalf of the Paulsons.

I stand by previous statements that the NCAA will most likely allow him to transfer anywhere but Virginia.

Typical view from a old and broken mindset that keeps the sport in the iceage.

Please show me where I ever said to fire Metcalf.  Why is asking to review film asking to be coddled?  You're making many logical leaps here.

I was more addressing the general narrative of the forum at the time. Considering you defended someone that suggested Metcalf be fired, well then, I guess I reached a lil to make a point. Asking to watch film is not being coddled. Who is leaping Coach_J? My point is, Kanen had one example of Metcalf being like this and it is January 21st. How do you know that coaching staff hadnt been playing good cop to this point.. one thing is clear, Kanen and ISU wasnt going to work out

That Twitter post should be titled, "Sonnet of a snowflake."

He just unwittingly confirmed NCAA violations on behalf of the Paulsons.

I stand by previous statements that the NCAA will most likely allow him to transfer anywhere but Virginia.

Anyone who would call a D1 wrestler a snowflake has never set foot in a D1 wrestling room. You're out of your flippin' mind.

After hearing several first hand accounts about the way Dresser treated wrestlers at Virginia Tech, it leaves me with no reason to not believe Storr’s version of the story.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

His accusations seem to be more pointed to Metcalf and Zaddick - although he mentioned Dresser as well, albeit to a lesser degree.  

Don't like the whole "he shoved me" and "I felt unsafe" aspect of this. This is a 20 year old college athlete who is one of the better wrestlers in the country, not a middle school kid. You are not a victim. Many kids his age are deployed overseas getting shot at by people who want to end their lives. C'mon man!

Edited by superbowlhomeboy

I was more addressing the general narrative of the forum at the time. Considering you defended someone that suggested Metcalf be fired, well then, I guess I reached a lil to make a point. Asking to watch film is not being coddled. Who is leaping Coach_J? My point is, Kanen had one example of Metcalf being like this and it is January 21st. How do you know that coaching staff hadnt been playing good cop to this point.. one thing is clear, Kanen and ISU wasnt going to work out

You very pointedly said that Storr wanted to be coddled without providing any example to clarify this claim.  In his statement, Storr said that one thing he asked of the staff was to breakdown film with him--a very specific example of something he asked for.  That's just putting elements together--not hard to do.

And I agree with you again that in no way was this situation going to work.  I would have liked if the departure had been handled without blackmail, shoving, etc., but that's beside the point at this juncture.