• Please log in to reply
157 replies to this topic

#21 iGranby

iGranby

Bronze Member

• Members
  • 250 posts

Posted 01 February 2018 - 11:42 PM

If this turns out to be 100% factual, and not a POV deal, and I'm Dresser - I'm firing Metcalf, or getting the AD to do it. 

#22 russelscout

russelscout

Bronze Member

• Members
  • 258 posts

Posted 01 February 2018 - 11:53 PM

For shoving him towards the locker room? Did he fall down? Nope. Was it excessively violent? Doesnt give any reason to believe so. It was infront of people sooooo no body thought of this as a violation and now a kid says shove on Twitter and iGranby is ready to fire people.
  • NYWRESTLER94 and 9insoft like this
"To feel sorry for him because his dream is going down the drain is ludicrous. I would like nothing more than to see Josh Budke on top of the heap at the end. The thing is he has to earn it. It's not that he deserves it. He doesn't deserve anything. The only thing you deserve is what you earn." -Tom Brands

#23 tbert

tbert

Silver Member

• Members
  • 1,034 posts

Posted 01 February 2018 - 11:59 PM

When in Iowa do as Iowans' do.
MAGA!

#24 iGranby

iGranby

Bronze Member

• Members
  • 250 posts

Posted 02 February 2018 - 12:10 AM

I mean, its just my opinion. The guy put hands on a kid unprovoked (from what Kanen said), he's known(I guess more so perceived) as a hothead, and from a PR/ Recruiting standpoint, will kids want to go to a place where they're shoved around after a tough loss? 

I get that this is in a vacuum as of right now, and thats why I said "if this is factual... if its not just how Kanen saw it...etc"

Then, I didnt even get into this idea of him being strong armed out of the program. Again, that's a thing where it very well could have went down different and it only sounds that bad from Storr's point of view - so who knows. 

At the very least - if the kid is full of crap they(Iowa State) should let it be known. 

Edited by iGranby, 02 February 2018 - 12:11 AM.

• LemonPie likes this

#25 russelscout

russelscout

Bronze Member

• Members
  • 258 posts

Posted 02 February 2018 - 12:19 AM

Do you think Kanen really felt unsafe?
"To feel sorry for him because his dream is going down the drain is ludicrous. I would like nothing more than to see Josh Budke on top of the heap at the end. The thing is he has to earn it. It's not that he deserves it. He doesn't deserve anything. The only thing you deserve is what you earn." -Tom Brands

#26 Coach_J

Coach_J

Gold Member

• Members
  • 2,928 posts

Posted 02 February 2018 - 12:22 AM

So unless someone is knocked down it's okay to shove kids?  Good grief...

All Motown, All the Time

www.writeondetroit.com

#27 russelscout

russelscout

Bronze Member

• Members
  • 258 posts

Posted 02 February 2018 - 12:29 AM

Did I say that? Shoving toward the locker room means a whole lot different thing thing than shoving up against the wall or shoving to the ground. So the simple fact that someone's reactionary thought to a social media post that mentions shove is to fire? Good grief...

#28 iGranby

iGranby

Bronze Member

• Members
  • 250 posts

Posted 02 February 2018 - 12:40 AM

I think a point that could be made from what youre both saying is "context is important"  - I dont know the "whole" story, so yeah, maybe a firing is a bit much until more is known. At the same time though, is it okay to look the other way when an adult shoves a kid? Probably not. 

I do think its possible Kanen felt unsafe, or that maybe he felt like he was in hostile territory for being "left overs" of the old regime. I really have no way of knowing. Again, context is very important. 

#29 Coach_J

Coach_J

Gold Member

• Members
  • 2,928 posts

Posted 02 February 2018 - 12:49 AM

A shove coupled with "Get the hell out of here" is a d!ck move in this situation.  If Kanen were arguing with the ref, his opponent, the opposing coach, a fan, yes, a shove with the directive to move along would be appropriate.  Not what happened though.  A stooge move by someone playing bad cop tough guy.  And couple it with the full context of Zadick blackmailing him with the transfer waiver ultimatum, and you see a clear patten of actions meant to run the kid off.

Knowing Kanen, he's not afraid of Metcalf.  It's a matter of basic coaching professionalism.

Edited by Coach_J, 02 February 2018 - 12:52 AM.

All Motown, All the Time

www.writeondetroit.com

#30 headshuck

headshuck

Hall of Fame Member

• Members
  • 15,585 posts

Posted 02 February 2018 - 12:50 AM

Do you think Kanen really felt unsafe?

You have until sunrise.

f76cd6ac8f5127fc52c46595c823ecff.jpg
  • tightwaist, LoStNuMbEr, scribe and 16 others like this

#31 iGranby

iGranby

Bronze Member

• Members
  • 250 posts

Posted 02 February 2018 - 12:51 AM

You have until sunrise.

f76cd6ac8f5127fc52c46595c823ecff.jpg

Made me laugh. 

#32 boconnell

boconnell

Gold Member

• Members
  • 2,804 posts

Posted 02 February 2018 - 01:04 AM

The young man got recruited to one situation and didn't like the situation he got instead.  Not a big deal.  Personality conflict and no reason to Parcel out blame.  

Anyone that thinks pushing a kid toward the locker room is bad shouldn't wrestle for a coach who would do that.  

Good luck to ISU and good luck to Storr.  I think ISU will be fine with the kids they recruit who want to be there, and if Storr is the young man some in this thread say he is, he will be more than fine going forward.  

• steamboat_charlie likes this

#33 tec87

tec87

Gold Member

• Members
  • 6,960 posts

Posted 02 February 2018 - 01:07 AM

Not that I’m disputing his story necessarily or that Zadick used the transfer as a blackmail tactic but there has to be a lot more to this story than what we’ve heard. Call me crazy but I don’t know of too many coaches that are gonna tell a top 15 ranked kid, hey you want to leave you can leave now and pack your stuff, all after that Sunday situation. That was the straw that broke the camels back I’m sure but there had to be a lot more that led up to that on both sides that caused the coaching staff to willingly cut ties that quick.
  • ThatLogSchuteWasCarrying likes this
FIRE UP CHIPS!!!!

#34 russelscout

russelscout

Bronze Member

• Members
  • 258 posts

Posted 02 February 2018 - 01:10 AM

A shove coupled with "Get the hell out of here" is a d!ck move in this situation.  If Kanen were arguing with the ref, his opponent, the opposing coach, a fan, yes, a shove with the directive to move along would be appropriate.  Not what happened though.  A stooge move by someone playing bad cop tough guy.  And couple it with the full context of Zadick blackmailing him with the transfer waiver ultimatum, and you see a clear patten of actions meant to run the kid off.

Knowing Kanen, he's not afraid of Metcalf.  It's a matter of basic coaching professionalism.

Well now that you say it that way, yeah he said the H-word to him also.. fire metcalf. It is January 21st, is it possible that the coaches had tried coddling to Kanens feelings already this year up to this point? The kids on scholarship and a leader. He needs to perform for a rebuilding team, but never really believed in the coaching staffs philosophy(telling them what he needed and complaining because he didn't get it).

#35 russelscout

russelscout

Bronze Member

• Members
  • 258 posts

Posted 02 February 2018 - 01:18 AM

Coach_J I get it that you know Kanen and think he is a good kid. I'm sure he is, but even good kids can be cancers in a room for a new staff when they refuse to buy in, and sympathize with the former staff.

#36 9insoft

9insoft
  • Members
  • 18 posts

Posted 02 February 2018 - 01:19 AM

إرْهابيّ Zadick or Metcalf shouldn’t be intimidating at all....
This type of stuff has been going on for along time (old regime/new regime) ...it’s over now, he got his release, he needs to find the fit for him. Life is not fair... if the staff is running rough shot, it will oooze out again....

#37 jchapman

jchapman

Silver Member

• Members
  • 1,324 posts

Posted 02 February 2018 - 01:21 AM

Metcalf was trying to be a tough-love mentor. Which I’m sure he learned it from brands...Who do it half-assed. Because they learned it from gable, who actually did it extremely well.

But what made Gable so great was he knew who to tough-love and who to back off of.  He was the master of reading the individual and adapting his coaching accordingly.

• Tofurky, Fletcher, Coach_J and 2 others like this

Record Holder:  Most Escapes in a Season

#38 Coach_J

Coach_J

Gold Member

• Members
  • 2,928 posts

Posted 02 February 2018 - 01:23 AM

Well now that you say it that way, yeah he said the H-word to him also.. fire metcalf. It is January 21st, is it possible that the coaches had tried coddling to Kanens feelings already this year up to this point? The kids on scholarship and a leader. He needs to perform for a rebuilding team, but never really believed in the coaching staffs philosophy(telling them what he needed and complaining because he didn't get it).

Please show me where I ever said to fire Metcalf.  Why is asking to review film asking to be coddled?  You're making many logical leaps here.

All Motown, All the Time

www.writeondetroit.com

#39 Coach_J

Coach_J

Gold Member

• Members
  • 2,928 posts

Posted 02 February 2018 - 01:24 AM

Coach_J I get it that you know Kanen and think he is a good kid. I'm sure he is, but even good kids can be cancers in a room for a new staff when they refuse to buy in, and sympathize with the former staff.

Absolutely agree with you.  But there is a way to professionally handle the matter.  I don't believe that was done.

All Motown, All the Time

www.writeondetroit.com

#40 LordNelson

LordNelson

Gold Member

• Members
  • 2,658 posts

Posted 02 February 2018 - 01:27 AM

That Twitter post should be titled, "Sonnet of a snowflake."

He just unwittingly confirmed NCAA violations on behalf of the Paulsons.

I stand by previous statements that the NCAA will most likely allow him to transfer anywhere but Virginia.

Typical view from a old and broken mindset that keeps the sport in the iceage.

• Tofurky, silver-medal, Coach_J and 3 others like this

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users