• Please log in to reply
11 replies to this topic

#1 NJDan

NJDan

Silver Member

• Members
  • 1,079 posts

Posted 02 February 2018 - 03:26 AM

I know Jeff Buxton had a spectacularly successful career as a high school coach and there is no doubt he knows wrestling. But isn't it odd that a high school coach is now coaching what is essentially a group of professionals wrestling internationally.

I don't think you'd see a high school coach hired to coach in the NBA or the NFL, at least not without coaching a few years in college first.

#2 cjc007

cjc007

Bronze Member

• Members
  • 987 posts

Posted 02 February 2018 - 03:28 AM

I know Jeff Buxton had a spectacularly successful career as a high school coach and there is no doubt he knows wrestling. But isn't it odd that a high school coach is now coaching what is essentially a group of professionals wrestling internationally.

I don't think you'd see a high school coach hired to coach in the NBA or the NFL, at least not without coaching a few years in college first.

He's a great technical coach.

Sent from my XT1254 using Tapatalk

#3 Pinnum

Pinnum

Gold Member

• Members
  • 4,717 posts

Posted 02 February 2018 - 04:10 AM

He isn't a high school coach. He is a professional/SR level coach.

Steve Bush was hired away from a high school to join the Dolphins Staff. And in 2009, 20 percent of the 610 coaches in the NFL started their careers at the high school level.
http://www.washingto...9082301432.html

There aren't nearly as many full-time professional (international) and college jobs in wrestling as their are in football and basketball and as a result, there are MANY wrestling coaches in the high school (or youth club) ranks that could be leading college and international athletes.

"Sometimes the best high school coaches make the best college coaches (Kevin Scarbinsky)"
http://www.al.com/sp...igh_school.html

Edited by Pinnum, 02 February 2018 - 04:16 AM.

Twitter: @Pinnum

#4 Ching

Ching

Bronze Member

• Members
  • 247 posts

Posted 02 February 2018 - 04:14 AM

What do you look for in a coach?

1) Leadership

2) Organization

3) Technical

If he checks those boxes, why not Buxton? I'm going to take a guess and assume he does.

• TheRealOne9050 likes this
Follow @_Homme

#5 Coach_J

Coach_J

Gold Member

• Members
  • 2,931 posts

Posted 02 February 2018 - 06:09 AM

I think we've all met wrestlers who have great credentials who are terrible coaches--can't explain anything, can't motivate anyone, no concept of organization, think that everyone should just be able to do what they do/did without being taught, cannot relate to anyone not like themselves.  How many NFL, NBA, or MLB coaches were superstars in their respective sports?  (And I know, wrestling is different, but the general concept I think remains consistent.)  The greatest coaches I worked with were not World or Olympic champs, some not even national champs.

• cjc007 and TheRealOne9050 like this

All Motown, All the Time

www.writeondetroit.com

#6 MadMardigain

MadMardigain

Gold Member

• Members
  • 8,510 posts

Posted 02 February 2018 - 08:42 AM

I’d say coaching Blair and coaching at most regular HS are slightly different things.

Edited by MadMardigain, 02 February 2018 - 08:42 AM.

• Medicine_Man likes this

#7 sgallan

sgallan

Hall of Fame Member

• Members
  • 29,466 posts

Posted 02 February 2018 - 11:53 AM

As pointed out he was hardly "just another HS coach". He also had those kids wrestle the internal styles. He would also coach the grads at the Senior level tournaments. And on and on. Interesting story, after Gallick graduated his mom would often corner him. She was really good.

#8 pjm46

pjm46

Bronze Member

• Members
  • 936 posts

Posted 02 February 2018 - 02:57 PM

I think we've all met wrestlers who have great credentials who are terrible coaches--can't explain anything, can't motivate anyone, no concept of organization, think that everyone should just be able to do what they do/did without being taught, cannot relate to anyone not like themselves. How many NFL, NBA, or MLB coaches were superstars in their respective sports? (And I know, wrestling is different, but the general concept I think remains consistent.) The greatest coaches I worked with were not World or Olympic champs, some not even national champs.

Team sports have schemes. A lot of the best position coaches dealing with individual techniques were good competitor's in those sports. And even with that Phil Jackson, Steve Kerr, Tony La Russa and Joe Torre all played at the highest level.

The NFL/NBA and MLB are all revenue sports. The athletes are making good money from competing so when they are done competing they can retire or have the capital to persue opportunities outside of coaching their sport so they have less top level competitor's trying to coach.

Sent from my SM-N920T using Tapatalk

#9 tbert

tbert

Silver Member

• Members
  • 1,038 posts

Posted 04 February 2018 - 11:30 AM

Because hes a terrific towel boy
MAGA!

#10 Tofurky

Tofurky

Gold Member

• Members
  • 3,827 posts

Posted 05 February 2018 - 05:46 AM

I'm cool with him being there. While his connections certainly helped push him to the front of the pack of any applicants, it's WHAT he knows that landed him the gig.

#11 hammerlockthree

hammerlockthree

Gold Member

• Members
  • 3,141 posts

Posted 05 February 2018 - 05:24 PM

Cause he knows his stuff better than anyone.....

#12 hammerlockthree

hammerlockthree

Gold Member

• Members
  • 3,141 posts

Posted 05 February 2018 - 05:25 PM

PS why do you care?

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users