• Please log in to reply
43 replies to this topic

#1 rpm002

rpm002

Bronze Member

• Members
  • 313 posts

Posted 02 February 2018 - 08:40 AM

Probably a little early, but I'll take a stab at this.  Please let me know who I have at the wrong weight or should be including.

57kg:  Gilman over Fix

61kg:  Maple over Tomasello/Graff/Ramos (or if Maple bumps up, could be any of those 3 beating any of the others)

65kg:  Zain over Steiber

70kg:  Calling for upset.... Molinaro over Green

74kg:  Burroughs over IMar (or will he go up to 79?)

79kg:  Dake over Dieringer (or will he stay at 74?)

86kg:  Taylor over Nickel

92kg:  Cox over ???

97kg:  Snyder over Heflin

125kg: Gwiz over Bradley

#2 steamboat_charlie

steamboat_charlie

Silver Member

• Members
  • 1,224 posts

Posted 02 February 2018 - 09:17 AM

I would expect Heflin to be at 92kg.  I also wouldn't be shocked if he pushes Cox.  #2 at 97kg is probably Gadson right? 

#3 Buckeyebison

Buckeyebison

Bronze Member

• Members
  • 973 posts

Posted 02 February 2018 - 10:36 AM

Stieber is 4-1 against Zain. So, I’ll pick Stieber.

Upset special - Heflin over Cox to make up this missed TD by half second.

#4 treep2000

treep2000

Bronze Member

• Members
  • 982 posts

Posted 02 February 2018 - 11:23 AM

My turn! (thanks for letting me play):

57kg:  Fix over Gilman

61kg:  Maple over Graff/Ramos

65kg:  Stieber over Zain

70kg:  Molinaro over Green (Nolf will be in for 2019)

74kg:  Burroughs over IMar

79kg:  Dake over Hall

86kg:  Taylor over Zahid

92kg:  Moore over Cox (BOOM!)

97kg:  Snyder over Gadsen

125kg: Gwiz over Bradley/Nelson/Telford (Gable will be in for 2019)

So... my biggest surprise is Kollin Moore bringing the real deal heat at 92kg.  If Snyder is the 97kg rep, and P4P best in the world, it's only natural that his training partner is getting the best looks that anyone in the world could give, thus making test of overcoming Cox a bit easier.  It won't be easy, but... definitely a possibility.  

I think Hall and Zahid both start to make noise this year at the Senior level, but not enough to break the world.  Dake and Taylor begin their couple year domination series, with Taylor becoming the most successful of the bunch (Hall eventually overtakes Dake, and Zahid never topples Taylor, until Taylor says so).  

Ok... I'm probably REALLY wrong... but... worth a try.

#5 2td3nf

2td3nf

Silver Member

• Members
  • 1,618 posts

Posted 02 February 2018 - 12:27 PM

My turn! (thanks for letting me play):

57kg:  Fix over Gilman

61kg:  Maple over Graff/Ramos

65kg:  Stieber over Zain

70kg:  Molinaro over Green (Nolf will be in for 2019)

74kg:  Burroughs over IMar

79kg:  Dake over Hall

86kg:  Taylor over Zahid

92kg:  Moore over Cox (BOOM!)

97kg:  Snyder over Gadsen

125kg: Gwiz over Bradley/Nelson/Telford (Gable will be in for 2019)

So... my biggest surprise is Kollin Moore bringing the real deal heat at 92kg.  If Snyder is the 97kg rep, and P4P best in the world, it's only natural that his training partner is getting the best looks that anyone in the world could give, thus making test of overcoming Cox a bit easier.  It won't be easy, but... definitely a possibility.  

I think Hall and Zahid both start to make noise this year at the Senior level, but not enough to break the world.  Dake and Taylor begin their couple year domination series, with Taylor becoming the most successful of the bunch (Hall eventually overtakes Dake, and Zahid never topples Taylor, until Taylor says so).  

Ok... I'm probably REALLY wrong... but... worth a try.

Good post. Interesting picks.

Yeah, wonder how J'den's doing? Hope he's close to 100% healthy. Might be a different wrestler up at 92kg?

#6 sgallan

sgallan

Hall of Fame Member

• Members
  • 29,915 posts

Posted 02 February 2018 - 01:13 PM

57 Gilman over who is wrestling well at the time.

61 Maple the same as above

65 Zain - over Steiber. It won't be close. 

70 Green - I can see people predicting Molinaro but I just don't think it is a good match up for Molinaro.

74 JB over Imar - going out on a limb here LOL

79 Dake over Hall but Hall keeps it close in score but not as close as score (like Dake does)

86 Taylor over Zahid not close

92 J'Den over Heflin. If J'Den not healthy then Heflin over Moore (this year)

97 Snyder of Gadsen..... just a hunch.

Ht Gwiz over Bradley. Out classes field until Stevenson gets out of HS. Gwiz and Stevenson will be a fun few couple of years. Good for Stevenson to have serious domestic competition.

#7 Ching

Ching

Bronze Member

• Members
  • 312 posts

Posted 02 February 2018 - 02:16 PM

Couple of problems with the above.

Steiber needs to go 61. He is inconsequential at 65

Zahid needs to go 79 (86 is way to big right now!)

Nato will be at 57. Hell, he was there for u23s

Moore will not be a factor at 92

Stevenson will be at Sr this year, mark my words. Not sure if he wins, but it aint gonna be easy for Gwiz.

• PSUMike likes this
Follow @_Homme

#8 2td3nf

2td3nf

Silver Member

• Members
  • 1,618 posts

Posted 02 February 2018 - 02:30 PM

Couple of problems with the above.

Steiber needs to go 61. He is inconsequential at 65
Zahid needs to go 79 (86 is way to big right now!)
Nato will be at 57. Hell, he was there for u23s
Moore will not be a factor at 92
Stevenson will be at Sr this year, mark my words. Not sure if he wins, but it aint gonna be easy for Gwiz.

Stieber was inconsequential at 61 too. Coming back at 65kg right into the Yarygin is no joke. He did win his first match 13-3 but then ran into Bekbulatov & Co.

I don't know for sure but it looked like the cut to 61 was brutal for Logan.

#9 2td3nf

2td3nf

Silver Member

• Members
  • 1,618 posts

Posted 02 February 2018 - 02:48 PM

Was looking at some of the other usual winter tournaments and now the Yasar Dogu is July 27-29, the Medved is Sept 14-16 and then the Worlds Oct 20-28.

#10 dmm53

dmm53

Bronze Member

• Members
  • 470 posts

Posted 02 February 2018 - 03:51 PM

Stieber was inconsequential at 61 too. Coming back at 65kg right into the Yarygin is no joke. He did win his first match 13-3 but then ran into Bekbulatov & Co.

I don't know for sure but it looked like the cut to 61 was brutal for Logan.

Steiber won a World Championship at 61 KG, beating some real hammers.  That is the very embodiment of consequential  Granted, he didn't do well in Paris the next year, though he had a real tough opening match.  

Edited by dmm53, 02 February 2018 - 04:43 PM.

#11 2td3nf

2td3nf

Silver Member

• Members
  • 1,618 posts

Posted 03 February 2018 - 06:11 AM

Steiber won a World Championship at 61 KG, beating some real hammers.  That is the very embodiment of consequential  Granted, he didn't do well in Paris the next year, though he had a real tough opening match.

Yes, I'm well aware of Logan's 2016 World championship run. I picked Logan to torch the field at 61 WTT's and was there matside to witness it. I was also one of the few (on these boards at least) to pick him to win the 2016 World championship.

Again, I don't know for sure but looks like Logan has a brutal weight cut to 61. Maybe I'm wrong.

I'll repeat myself again. Logan was right there with the best in the world during his 2016 Olympic run at 65kg. He beat some big names that year including 2016 65kg Olympic champ Ramonov. Logan lost in the OTT's semifinal to Molinaro 5-5 in a nailbiter. He was right there.

Also why would he make a huge weight cut to stay down at a non Olympic weight at 61kg?

Edited by 2td3nf, 03 February 2018 - 06:17 AM.

#12 2td3nf

2td3nf

Silver Member

• Members
  • 1,618 posts

Posted 03 February 2018 - 06:47 AM

Ok, didn't mean to hijack the OP with the Stieber stuff. And since some other posters went here and put out some nice picks here are some just for fun:

57 ? Lee*
61 ? Fix*
65 Winner of Logan/Zain
70 Green
74 The Champ
79 Kid Dynamite
86 Magicman
92 J'den
97 Captain America
125 Winner of Gwiz/Gable*

* for Spencer, Daton and Gable, have no idea of true weight of Daton and no idea what all their coaches want for the upcoming freestyle season. Maybe Jr's again? Maybe Daton stays down at 57? Is he big enough for 61?

#13 wrestlingnerd

wrestlingnerd

Gold Member

• Members
  • 7,763 posts

Posted 03 February 2018 - 10:31 AM

No way Fix is at 61. He will be at 57, his best weight. He wrestled 125 as a redshirt this past folkstyle season.

#14 2td3nf

2td3nf

Silver Member

• Members
  • 1,618 posts

Posted 03 February 2018 - 11:26 AM

No way Fix is at 61. He will be at 57, his best weight. He wrestled 125 as a redshirt this past folkstyle season.

What's Daton's walk around weight?

#15 wrestlingnerd

wrestlingnerd

Gold Member

• Members
  • 7,763 posts

Posted 03 February 2018 - 11:32 AM

What's Daton's walk around weight?

I don’t know what it is now but I remember he was in the low 140s off season about a year ago.

#16 2td3nf

2td3nf

Silver Member

• Members
  • 1,618 posts

Posted 03 February 2018 - 12:09 PM

I don’t know what it is now but I remember he was in the low 140s off season about a year ago.

So there you have it. 61kg is way doable. Plus he's probably not getting any smaller.

#17 wrestlingnerd

wrestlingnerd

Gold Member

• Members
  • 7,763 posts

Posted 03 February 2018 - 04:36 PM

So there you have it. 61kg is way doable. Plus he's probably not getting any smaller.

Why would he bump up after wrestling his redshirt year at 125? Makes no sense. 125 is his best weight. That's where he had the most success (junior world gold in dominant fashion, beat Tomasello for the U23 team, etc.) and after getting beat soundly at the U23 Worlds this summer, what makes you think he'll want to bump up to face even bigger guys when he's been cutting to 125 just months before the freestyle season kicks off for our college guys?

#18 de4856

de4856

Silver Member

• Members
  • 1,545 posts

Posted 03 February 2018 - 05:48 PM

Well it really is way to early, but here goes.
57 Gilman vs Fix, but, the Lee, is out there.
61 Stieber, vs Maple, but with Cory Clark's apparence at the Yarygin, does that signal something? Or Brandon Wright who's number 3 on the ladder at this weight, make it to the finals? It could be that Stieber and Maple both go 65, leaving this weight wide open.
65 Zain vs Stieber, or BJ Futrell, or does a long shot like Joey McKenna or Ryan Deakin get there?
70 Green vs GHulk, looks like the most likely. But Jason Nolf, could very well get there as well. Additionally there's Jordan Oliver, and (1) we don't know if he'll even be allowed to compete, and (2) if allowed, do we know which weight.
74 Burroughs vs Dieringer as the most likely. Maybe IMar.
79 Dake vs Mark Hall, maybe Jon Reader as a dark horse.
86 DT vs Valencia. Maybe Nickel
92 Cox vs Heflin
97 Kyle vs Gadsen, but I could see Gadsen dropping to 92. Ty Waltz could be the outsider looking in though.
Hwt. Gwiz vs Bradley, I have to think that Gable goes Juniors one last time.

#19 Perry

Perry

Gold Member

• Members
  • 2,715 posts

Posted 03 February 2018 - 05:51 PM

Still predicting Moore over Cox, treep?

#20 Ogalthorpe Haywood

Ogalthorpe Haywood

Bronze Member

• Members
  • 192 posts

Posted 04 February 2018 - 02:44 AM

I feel like Steiber has reached his ceiling. He is a great wrestler but I haven't seen much improvement over the last couple of years. Perhaps the weight cut has had something to do with it, I guess we'll find out

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users