Ching

Michigan Attendance

Is there any good excuse why Michigan can't draw decent crowds to home duals?

I think this has to be a metric by which fans, alumni, and ADs need to judge coaches. We've seen new ambitious coaches develop a great following within a few years and yet some that have been at the help for a long time can't draw more than your typical high school

It gets worse. BTN2Go cut the video off during 1st period of massa vs white. Student U at its finest. They need to get better instructions.

Edit: they finally got back to 3 rd period. Enough for me to see Massa win in 3-1 SV1

Edited by Buckeyebison

Not always the biggest Goodale fan, but he does a great job of marketing that program.

Let’s face it, in this day of scrutinized athletic budgets, if a coach wants to ensure that his program survives, he’d better put bodies in those seats.

Good crowds certainly help with recruiting, too.

Is there any good excuse why Michigan can't draw decent crowds to home duals?

I think this has to be a metric by which fans, alumni, and ADs need to judge coaches. We've seen new ambitious coaches develop a great following within a few years and yet some that have been at the help for a long time can't draw more than your typical high school

Michigan's attendance suffers pretty badly when they go head-to-head with home hockey games. The athletic department closes down the lot that serves both facilities for hockey big wigs, so there's nowhere to park. So, when it's 10 degrees outside, a lot of folks just stay home and watch it online. The Wisconsin dual was similar. Others are not. You asked for a reason.... that's the reason. I wouldn't put that on the coaching staff.

Edited by MrBurns

Are football & basketball coaches expected to promote their programs? Those guys just coach. I get it but the incredible demands put on wrestling coaches is daunting.

Most schools have marketing departments for football and basketball but sadly are not used for wrestling.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

Michigan's attendance suffers pretty badly when they go head-to-head with home hockey games. The athletic department closes down the lot that serves both facilities for hockey big wigs, so there's nowhere to park. So, when it's 10 degrees outside, a lot of folks just stay home and watch it online. The Wisconsin dual was similar. Others are not. You asked for a reason.... that's the reason. I wouldn't put that on the coaching staff.

Why schedule head to head with hockey if there is a problem with parking?  Michigan needs to stop being educated idiots and use some common sense.  

Are football & basketball coaches expected to promote their programs? Those guys just coach. I get it but the incredible demands put on wrestling coaches is daunting.

I get this, and I think it's fair. Wrestling is a different situation though, and as a head coach you can delegate things to your staff if your plate is too full. I think this kind of thing should be a priority for wrestling staff at Universities, even if you have a position specifically for it.  

Even non PSU fans should appreciate this pic showing new indoor attendance record.

But...but...it's not Rec Hall boo hoo.

I've been to Rec Hall for some big matches going back to the early 80's and it's a cool place but I was also at BJC a couple of years ago when Iowa won and it was the best wrestling environment I've ever been to aside from NCAA's.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

Edited by paboom

Why schedule head to head with hockey if there is a problem with parking?  Michigan needs to stop being educated idiots and use some common sense.  

I live 2 hours away from UofM (on a decent travel day) and I can attest to this debacle.  I help with our high school team, and sometimes we try to skip out of practice early to catch a 7pm dual at Michigan.  We break speeding laws the whole way there, then hit awful traffic trying to get into Ann Arbor, and then hit a parking debacle as we come up near CK Arena.  I parked in a nearby house's lawn for $20 one time only to miss the first 3 matches.

The wrestling fans in Michigan are largely involved with HS and/or youth wrestling.  MYWAY wrestling dominates the youth scene around here and they compete on Sundays during the college season.  Most youth families are busy all day at a tournament of their own rather than going to a match in a crowded Ann Arbor.  The high school fans are stuck trying to get there on a Friday night or a Sunday as well, and that has its troubles as well.

MSU is much easier (though, it's MSU, c'mon) so we usually try to get there when a team that we actually enjoy watching is coming to town.

In most cases, I'd rather drive all the way to Iowa City to watch a dual there rather than deal with Ann Arbor.  

PM

Merr6267 et.al. - this is why I think the wrestling seasons for youth, HS and college should be split up a bit. We shouldn’t have such a direct overlap since we are a relatively limited audience and can’t be 2 places at once. I think college dual attendance would go up significantly if the youth and HS seasons did not conflict as much.

I live 2 hours away from UofM (on a decent travel day) and I can attest to this debacle.  I help with our high school team, and sometimes we try to skip out of practice early to catch a 7pm dual at Michigan.  We break speeding laws the whole way there, then hit awful traffic trying to get into Ann Arbor, and then hit a parking debacle as we come up near CK Arena.  I parked in a nearby house's lawn for $20 one time only to miss the first 3 matches.

The wrestling fans in Michigan are largely involved with HS and/or youth wrestling.  MYWAY wrestling dominates the youth scene around here and they compete on Sundays during the college season.  Most youth families are busy all day at a tournament of their own rather than going to a match in a crowded Ann Arbor.  The high school fans are stuck trying to get there on a Friday night or a Sunday as well, and that has its troubles as well.

MSU is much easier (though, it's MSU, c'mon) so we usually try to get there when a team that we actually enjoy watching is coming to town.

In most cases, I'd rather drive all the way to Iowa City to watch a dual there rather than deal with Ann Arbor.  

PM

Merr6267 et.al. - this is why I think the wrestling seasons for youth, HS and college should be split up a bit. We shouldn’t have such a direct overlap since we are a relatively limited audience and can’t be 2 places at once. I think college dual attendance would go up significantly if the youth and HS seasons did not conflict as much.

I can't say I disagree. I do worry about the audience limits based on other seasonal factors, ie:baseball, track, spring break, yardwork, etc, but that's just a piece of worry that I think sometimes gets forgotten. That hypothesis is not yet tested.

pm