• Please log in to reply
21 replies to this topic

#21 jstock

jstock

Gold Member

• Members
  • 3,050 posts

Posted 13 February 2018 - 08:49 AM

Merr6267 et.al. - this is why I think the wrestling seasons for youth, HS and college should be split up a bit. We shouldn’t have such a direct overlap since we are a relatively limited audience and can’t be 2 places at once. I think college dual attendance would go up significantly if the youth and HS seasons did not conflict as much.

I live 2 hours away from UofM (on a decent travel day) and I can attest to this debacle.  I help with our high school team, and sometimes we try to skip out of practice early to catch a 7pm dual at Michigan.  We break speeding laws the whole way there, then hit awful traffic trying to get into Ann Arbor, and then hit a parking debacle as we come up near CK Arena.  I parked in a nearby house's lawn for $20 one time only to miss the first 3 matches.

The wrestling fans in Michigan are largely involved with HS and/or youth wrestling.  MYWAY wrestling dominates the youth scene around here and they compete on Sundays during the college season.  Most youth families are busy all day at a tournament of their own rather than going to a match in a crowded Ann Arbor.  The high school fans are stuck trying to get there on a Friday night or a Sunday as well, and that has its troubles as well.

MSU is much easier (though, it's MSU, c'mon) so we usually try to get there when a team that we actually enjoy watching is coming to town.

In most cases, I'd rather drive all the way to Iowa City to watch a dual there rather than deal with Ann Arbor.  

PM

#22 merr6267

merr6267
  • Members
  • 80 posts

Posted 13 February 2018 - 09:46 AM

Merr6267 et.al. - this is why I think the wrestling seasons for youth, HS and college should be split up a bit. We shouldn’t have such a direct overlap since we are a relatively limited audience and can’t be 2 places at once. I think college dual attendance would go up significantly if the youth and HS seasons did not conflict as much.

I can't say I disagree. I do worry about the audience limits based on other seasonal factors, ie:baseball, track, spring break, yardwork, etc, but that's just a piece of worry that I think sometimes gets forgotten. That hypothesis is not yet tested.

pm

There was a time when I participated a lot on this board.  Software and time have changed that. 

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users