Hodge update

• Please log in to reply
155 replies to this topic

#1 CholleyVandine

CholleyVandine
  • Members
  • 16 posts

Posted 03 February 2018 - 06:16 PM

With his team desperately needing bonus points in the dual of the year, Zain Retherford beats the sixth ranked 149 pounder in the country by 15.

With his team desperately needing bonus points in the dual of the year, Kyle Snyder beats the sixth ranked heavyweight in the country by 5.

Even the tOSU fans have to admit the Hodge race ended tonight, don’t they?
  • PANewbie, jchapman, dmm53 and 1 other like this

#2 de4856

de4856

Silver Member

• Members
  • 1,474 posts

Posted 03 February 2018 - 06:38 PM

CholleyVandine,
Well, Zain is a great wrestler, and perhaps he will ultimately win the Hodge trophy, But in Kyle's defense let's look at Kyle's recent circumstances, he left after a dual meet in Iowa on January 21st, flew more than halfway around the world, competed in the World's Toughest tournament, leaves Siberia this past Monday, Jan 29th, flies for 20 some odd hours to get back here to compete in a dual a few days later.

Edited by de4856, 04 February 2018 - 11:36 AM.

• TheOhioState likes this

#3 Perry

Perry

Gold Member

• Members
  • 2,675 posts

Posted 03 February 2018 - 07:02 PM

Snyder is so far ahead of zain when it comes to wrestling talent that it's not even funny. Zain can have the hodge (him and nickal are front runners imo) all day. I'm sure Snyder will wipe his tears off with his gold world medals..

#4 dmm53

dmm53

Bronze Member

• Members
  • 302 posts

Posted 03 February 2018 - 07:58 PM

Snyder is so far ahead of zain when it comes to wrestling talent that it's not even funny. Zain can have the hodge (him and nickal are front runners imo) all day. I'm sure Snyder will wipe his tears off with his gold world medals..

It's folkstyle not freestyle.  Sorry, but Snyder is not in the same league.  He has zero top or bottom game compared to Retherford, Nolf, Nickal, Hall or Joseph.   Snyder is super strong but doesn't have the great creative skills of some of these other guys.  There is much greater competition nationally and internationally at the lighter and middle weights than the heavy weights, where guys play football and other sports.  That is a fact.  Snyder is a great athlete but he is nowhere near the best folkstyle wrestler even if he wrestled a whole season.  

• Flying-Tiger, vsnej, Cletus_Tucker and 5 others like this

#5 dmm53

dmm53

Bronze Member

• Members
  • 302 posts

Posted 03 February 2018 - 08:05 PM

Snyder wins in predictable ways.  Through strength and positioning and a great neutral game.   Compare DT, who doesn't have Snyder's international accomplishments, at least not yet.   But DT is arguably more creative, technically skilled, and preternaturally talented.  I don't expect that many to agree with this assessment, but I believe there is some truth to it.  It's really difficult to compare across weights.  To win 125 or 141 or 165 this year in college is going to be a greater feat than winning 285, however.  There is just more talent usually at the lighter weights. 

#6 maolsen

maolsen

Bronze Member

• Members
  • 484 posts

Posted 03 February 2018 - 08:06 PM

It's folkstyle not freestyle. Sorry, but Snyder is not in the same league. He has zero top or bottom game compared to Retherford, Nolf, Nickal, Hall or Joseph. Snyder is super strong but doesn't have the great creative skills of some of these other guys. There is much greater competition nationally and internationally at the lighter and middle weights than the heavy weights, where guys play football and other sports. That is a fact. Snyder is a great athlete but he is nowhere near the best folkstyle wrestler even if he wrestled a whole season.

The guys you listed are more all around gifted in folkstyle. Does not mean they are better. In wrestling, you can be so much better in one position, that you are better then someone more all around better. See Gilman last year, awful on bottom (compared to most top guys), great on his feet, was considered upset at ncaas. Snyder beats guys all around the world (who arent going into football, since that is an american sport) so your second half is kind of irrelevant.

Edited by maolsen, 03 February 2018 - 08:08 PM.

#7 de4856

de4856

Silver Member

• Members
  • 1,474 posts

Posted 03 February 2018 - 09:26 PM

There is a video on You Tube where Chael Sonnen talks about Kyle Snyder. It's worth the ten minutes. But Chael's final comment of "Basics win you Championships," is probably the most prophetic.

Edited by de4856, 03 February 2018 - 09:43 PM.

• tightwaist and PANewbie like this

#8 AllISeeIsBronze

AllISeeIsBronze

Bronze Member

• Members
  • 157 posts

Posted 03 February 2018 - 11:29 PM

Who cares about the Hodge... Snyder will really think he should have invested more time in trying to perfect his half-nelson when he walks past his wall of world medals.
  • tightwaist and xander like this

#9 shorty1

shorty1

Bronze Member

• Members
  • 827 posts

Posted 03 February 2018 - 11:35 PM

Steiber won the World's with a bar arm and a snowplow.

#10 gowrestle

gowrestle

Gold Member

• Members
  • 2,198 posts

Posted 04 February 2018 - 12:27 AM

It's folkstyle not freestyle. Sorry, but Snyder is not in the same league. He has zero top or bottom game compared to Retherford, Nolf, Nickal, Hall or Joseph. Snyder is super strong but doesn't have the great creative skills of some of these other guys. There is much greater competition nationally and internationally at the lighter and middle weights than the heavy weights, where guys play football and other sports. That is a fact. Snyder is a great athlete but he is nowhere near the best folkstyle wrestler even if he wrestled a whole season.

100% correct regarding the talent pool in the 200+ pound weight classes. Snyder is a great heavyweight wrestler and fans always get a kick out of watching behemoth guys bang heads. But Kyle Snyder ain’t no Zain Rutherford.

(Synder’s trip to Russia is another example of him putting himself over team.)
  • shorty1 and AMastrandrea like this

#11 Flying-Tiger

Flying-Tiger

Gold Member

• Members
  • 7,597 posts

Posted 04 February 2018 - 01:25 AM

That's not fair, he put USA ahead of tOSU and I respect him for that. I always viewed him as a full time international wrestler and a part time college wrestler.

Zain is the man in folk and Kyle is the man on the world stage. Hope to see them as teammates again this summer. 

Edited by Flying-Tiger, 04 February 2018 - 01:26 AM.

• HurricaneWrestling, PANewbie, xander and 3 others like this
A Kinder, Gentler Machine Gun Hand

#12 Witherman

Witherman

Bronze Member

• Members
  • 652 posts

Posted 04 February 2018 - 01:31 AM

Does the hodge pay $250k for Olympic gold and $75k for each world championship? Nah.

I’m sure Snyder would love to add hodge winner to his list of achievements, but at the same time I’m sure he doesn’t really care all that much.

Frankly I’m surprised he’s even still wrestling in the NCAA.
  • AllISeeIsBronze likes this

#13 TheOhioState

TheOhioState

Gold Member

• Members
  • 2,410 posts

Posted 04 February 2018 - 02:43 AM

Zain's a great wrestler, but maybe not so great if he had to wrestle folkstyle up two weight classes.

#14 BigTenFanboy

BigTenFanboy

Gold Member

• Members
  • 4,778 posts

Posted 04 February 2018 - 03:06 AM

Zain's a great wrestler, but maybe not so great if he had to wrestle folkstyle up two weight classes.

Snyder is actually a 184lber?
  • Cletus_Tucker and CholleyVandine like this

#15 TBar1977

TBar1977

Hall of Fame Member

• Members
  • 12,425 posts

Posted 04 February 2018 - 04:11 AM

It's folkstyle not freestyle.  Sorry, but Snyder is not in the same league.  He has zero top or bottom game compared to Retherford, Nolf, Nickal, Hall or Joseph.   Snyder is super strong but doesn't have the great creative skills of some of these other guys.  There is much greater competition nationally and internationally at the lighter and middle weights than the heavy weights, where guys play football and other sports.  That is a fact.  Snyder is a great athlete but he is nowhere near the best folkstyle wrestler even if he wrestled a whole season.  

I got drilled for making this point recently. The exact comment I made was that relative to college competition in folkstyle, Zain is better than Snyder. Last night's result isn't even an outlier, it is the absolute norm for Zain. That is why he sits atop the most dominant stat this year just like he did last year. 

Nevills isn't as good as the wrestlers at Yarygin, but he still took Kyle Freaking Snyder down twice last night when all those guys over there got nothing. The size differential combined with Kyle's travel played a part, but that was his choice. It doesn't change the fact that Zain has totally gapped the best 149's in the field by a TF or better, Snyder has not done the same at Hwt. 

Penn State - NCAA Champions 7 of the last 8 Years

#16 PANewbie

PANewbie

Silver Member

• Members
  • 1,224 posts

Posted 04 February 2018 - 04:12 AM

Does the hodge pay $250k for Olympic gold and $75k for each world championship? Nah.

I’m sure Snyder would love to add hodge winner to his list of achievements, but at the same time I’m sure he doesn’t really care all that much.

Frankly I’m surprised he’s even still wrestling in the NCAA.

He cares about collegiate wrestling or he would not have put out that "dominate Penn State" tweet.  BTW, I was fine with that tweet...he was trying to be a leader.  MyMar and Campbell just couldn't figure out how to follow his lead.  Don't try to hand out that "he doesn't care" horse hockey.  He's NaTo's roommate and buddies with Jordan.  He wanted to win for them.

#17 TBar1977

TBar1977

Hall of Fame Member

• Members
  • 12,425 posts

Posted 04 February 2018 - 04:32 AM

Kyle actually added that he has friends on Penn State (I know he was on senior team with Zain, but he was also on world teams or at least trained with Bo Nickal and Cassar) but that when PSU wrestles and they are all together there is no team on earth he wants to smash more than PSU. 

Yeah, I'd say he cares. That is the same sentiment the fans on these boards have towards opposing teams. 

Penn State - NCAA Champions 7 of the last 8 Years

#18 redblades

redblades

Silver Member

• Members
  • 1,728 posts

Posted 04 February 2018 - 04:33 AM

Don't try to hand out that "he doesn't care" horse hockey.  He's NaTo's roommate and buddies with Jordan.  He wanted to win for them.

You are confused - of course he cared about last night's dual and his team - but this discussion is about the Hodge.  In the end, the International accolades are probably more important to him than a college individual award.

#19 WillieBoy

WillieBoy

Silver Member

• Members
  • 1,498 posts

Posted 04 February 2018 - 04:41 AM

Considering the flight back and the weight change he did a good job against a guy who wrestled the best match of his life.

Snyder is mentally tougher than anyone in NCAA wrestling right now.

• AllISeeIsBronze likes this

#20 CholleyVandine

CholleyVandine
  • Members
  • 16 posts

Posted 04 February 2018 - 05:47 AM

Considering the flight back and the weight change he did a good job against a guy who wrestled the best match of his life.

Snyder is mentally tougher than anyone in NCAA wrestling right now.

One sign of Snyder’s greatness - you won’t find him making weak-a$$ excuses like this for coming up small in a spot where his team needed him to come up big.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users