Sign in to follow this  
CholleyVandine

Hodge update

Still waiting for the answer here..

OK.  Here it is:

If Zain went up two weight classes, he'd be wrestling heavier guys, and it would be harder to dominate them.  In fact, in his case, it would be hard to win at all.

Snyder is wrestling guys that routinely outweigh him by 20-30 lbs.

OK.  Here it is:

If Zain went up two weight classes, he'd be wrestling heavier guys, and it would be harder to dominate them.  In fact, in his case, it would be hard to win at all.

But there isn't any reason for Zain to go up 2 weight classes. He's a 149, and he dominates the better 149's.

Kyle is a Hwt, and he dominates the better Hwts, yes, but just not to the extent Zain dominates the better 149's. And Kyle could wrestle 197 if he wanted to. There is nothing stopping him from doing that except his free will. I get it, he's a 220 Internationally. That just has nothing to do with the Hodge Trophy or even the argument being made. The argument is simple. Is Zain the most deserving of the Hodge Award. The answer last year was yes and Kyle Snyder was one of the first to congratulate Zain last year. I believe the answer is no different this year. Rinse and Repeat. 

OK. Here it is:

If Zain went up two weight classes, he'd be wrestling heavier guys, and it would be harder to dominate them. In fact, in his case, it would be hard to win at all.

Snyder is not wrestling up. He's within the range of 197.1 to 285 lbs which is his weight class.

When you make lame excuses like this imo you actually diminish the greatness that is Kyle Snyder. SNYDER is a collegiate heavyweight. He is not a 197lber bumping up. Stop making excuses that he would never make.

Edited by BigTenFanboy

I was rounding because I don't know all the International weight classes in lbs. off the top of my head.

Snyder wrestling Coon is like Zain wrestling Myles Martin from a relative body size standpoint.

Suppose there were a 125lbs weight class wrestler who actually weighed 113lbs, and he won the NCAA title but was less dominant than an unbeaten wrestler in one of the middle weight classes. Does he get the Hodge because he was smaller than his peers? 

Which Hodge criteria is that? I missed it. 

Nolf vs McCutcheon then

Better but still not close. More like Zahid Valencia vs McCutcheon. With that said Synder wrestling 285 also enables him to wrestle lesser athletes in terms of precision and coordination. I would be willing to bet that if their was a 225lbs weight class, it would be a better more competitive weight than 285.

Edited by BigTenFanboy

Better. With that said Synder wrestling 285 also enables him to wrestle lesser athletes in terms of precision and coordination. I would be willing to bet that if their was a 225lbs weight class, it would be a better more competitive weight than 285.

If there was a 225 weight you would take away any advantage wrestlers have on Snyder, so matches like yesterday likely would not happen. It might be more competitive as a whole, but Snyder would run thru that weight even easier.

No not for hodge criteria.

But in terms of P4P rankings in the hearts and minds.... Absolutely.

Pretty much agree on hearts and minds, not sure about P4P. If a middleweight is #1 in most dominant by virtue of pinning tons of guys while the 113lbs wrestler is #5 in most dominant then while everyone will love the little guy the middleweight is probably the better wrestler when compared to his peers because he is doing the most when measured against the objective to score the most points. 

Better but still not close. More like Zahid Valencia vs McCutcheon. With that said Synder wrestling 285 also enables him to wrestle lesser athletes in terms of precision and coordination. I would be willing to bet that if their was a 225lbs weight class, it would be a better more competitive weight than 285.

So basically add in the larger 197s, but now they’re giving up weight to snyder.

If there was a 225 weight you would take away any advantage wrestlers have on Snyder, so matches like yesterday likely would not happen. It might be more competitive as a whole, but Snyder would run thru that weight even easier.

Snyder's biggest opposition is size/weight not wrestling ability. If there was a 225 weigjt i would say he would have a more difficult time with the middle of the pack wrestlers, but an easier time with the top wrestlers of the weight. At 285 he gets to wrestle guys that would not be able to hack it if they were proportionally smaller. But yes I agree he would still run the weight pretty easily.

Edited by BigTenFanboy

Saying any American without the initials JB is anywhere near Snyder's league speaks to the utter stupidity of 'some' American folkstyle fans. It is embarrassing.

This X1000.  Snyder made some mistakes in that match: mainly going for a throw and giving an automatic release...But he is easily still the best wrestler in the U.S. 

Hodge aside, which has more to do with pinning than who the better wrestler is...There are actually people who think Retherford is the better folkstyle wrestler than Snyder???

Apparently. I could see in argument for ignoring Snyders freestyle, if he wasnt doing the same things in folkstyle as freestyle, but he is. As far as Hodge goes, yes Zain is more "dominant". Also using the arguments presented earlier in this thread, then why is Snyder considered the best p4p in the world by many? His par-terre is no where near the level of some. His takedowns are enough to make him the best in the world, but not the best in college? Got it. Edited by maolsen

Apparently. I could see in argument for ignoring Snyders freestyle, if he wasnt doing the same things in folkstyle as freestyle, but he is. As far as Hodge goes, yes Zain is more "dominant". Also using the arguments presented earlier in this thread, then why is Snyder considered the best p4p in the world by many? His par-terre is no where near the level of some. His takedowns are enough to make him the best in the world, but not the best in college? Got it.

Different styles. If Snyder was clearly the best in collegiate folk, he'd be able to easily surpass what Zain does. So why doesn't he? 

Different styles. If Snyder was clearly the best in collegiate folk, he'd be able to easily surpass what Zain does. So why doesn't he? 

It has nothing to do with Snyder being better at freestyle than folk.  Snyder has nothing from the top position in either freestyle or folkstyle. It's the fact that he is so much better at the neutral position than Zain and everyone else in the U.S. that makes him the best wrestler in the country.  It's why Taylor would tech the same people Dake would beat by major, yet Dake was the better wrestler and could win the head to head matchups.  

Edited by Billyhoyle