• Please log in to reply
155 replies to this topic

#21 TBar1977

TBar1977

Hall of Fame Member

• Members
  • 11,604 posts

Posted 04 February 2018 - 04:55 AM

One sign of Snyder’s greatness - you won’t find him making weak-a$$ excuses like this for coming up small in a spot where his team needed him to come up big.

Another is that he actually went for the big throw last night. He didn't sit on a small lead. He's a winner. 

I have set aside funds to have six Green Bay Packers be my pall bearers, that way they can let me down one final time. 

#22 BigTenFanboy

BigTenFanboy

Gold Member

• Members
  • 3,885 posts

Posted 04 February 2018 - 04:58 AM

Another is that he actually went for the big throw last night. He didn't sit on a small lead. He's a winner.

Stop wearing your PSU colored glasses!!!! oh wait.. you complimented a non-PSU wrestler..

#23 CholleyVandine

CholleyVandine
  • Members
  • 11 posts

Posted 04 February 2018 - 05:00 AM

You are confused - of course he cared about last night's dual and his team - but this discussion is about the Hodge. In the end, the International accolades are probably more important to him than a college individual award.

No doubt they are. I don’t knock him for that either. He will probably be the greatest American freestyle wrestler of all time when all is said and done. He seems to have his priorities straight.

My beef is with the knuckleheads on here who think he should be given an honor intended to reward the most dominant NCAA folk style wrestler in recognition of his international success.
  • ThatLogSchuteWasCarrying likes this

#24 CholleyVandine

CholleyVandine
  • Members
  • 11 posts

Posted 04 February 2018 - 05:03 AM

That’s right! It wasn’t for lack of effort that he was unable to dominate Nevills. He’s just not as good as Zain at dominating in folk style.

#25 TheOhioState

TheOhioState

Gold Member

• Members
  • 2,372 posts

Posted 04 February 2018 - 05:11 AM

That’s right! It wasn’t for lack of effort that he was unable to dominate Nevills. He’s just not as good as Zain at dominating in folk style.

Unless Zain went up two weight classes.

#26 BigTenFanboy

BigTenFanboy

Gold Member

• Members
  • 3,885 posts

Posted 04 February 2018 - 05:14 AM

Unless Zain went up two weight classes.

Snyder is actually a 184lber?

Still waiting for the answer here..

#27 TheOhioState

TheOhioState

Gold Member

• Members
  • 2,372 posts

Posted 04 February 2018 - 05:32 AM

Still waiting for the answer here..

OK.  Here it is:

If Zain went up two weight classes, he'd be wrestling heavier guys, and it would be harder to dominate them.  In fact, in his case, it would be hard to win at all.

Snyder is wrestling guys that routinely outweigh him by 20-30 lbs.

#28 TBar1977

TBar1977

Hall of Fame Member

• Members
  • 11,604 posts

Posted 04 February 2018 - 05:44 AM

OK.  Here it is:

If Zain went up two weight classes, he'd be wrestling heavier guys, and it would be harder to dominate them.  In fact, in his case, it would be hard to win at all.

But there isn't any reason for Zain to go up 2 weight classes. He's a 149, and he dominates the better 149's.

Kyle is a Hwt, and he dominates the better Hwts, yes, but just not to the extent Zain dominates the better 149's. And Kyle could wrestle 197 if he wanted to. There is nothing stopping him from doing that except his free will. I get it, he's a 220 Internationally. That just has nothing to do with the Hodge Trophy or even the argument being made. The argument is simple. Is Zain the most deserving of the Hodge Award. The answer last year was yes and Kyle Snyder was one of the first to congratulate Zain last year. I believe the answer is no different this year. Rinse and Repeat. 

I have set aside funds to have six Green Bay Packers be my pall bearers, that way they can let me down one final time. 

#29 gimpeltf

gimpeltf

Gold Member

• Members
  • 5,275 posts

Posted 04 February 2018 - 05:48 AM

Not trying to get into the middle of this argument at all but 213.4 not 220.

#30 BigTenFanboy

BigTenFanboy

Gold Member

• Members
  • 3,885 posts

Posted 04 February 2018 - 05:48 AM

OK. Here it is:
If Zain went up two weight classes, he'd be wrestling heavier guys, and it would be harder to dominate them. In fact, in his case, it would be hard to win at all.

Snyder is not wrestling up. He's within the range of 197.1 to 285 lbs which is his weight class.

When you make lame excuses like this imo you actually diminish the greatness that is Kyle Snyder. SNYDER is a collegiate heavyweight. He is not a 197lber bumping up. Stop making excuses that he would never make.

Edited by BigTenFanboy, 04 February 2018 - 05:52 AM.

#31 TBar1977

TBar1977

Hall of Fame Member

• Members
  • 11,604 posts

Posted 04 February 2018 - 05:53 AM

Not trying to get into the middle of this argument at all but 213.4 not 220.

I was rounding because I don't know all the International weight classes in lbs. off the top of my head. 

• gimpeltf likes this

#32 madcat11

madcat11

Gold Member

• Members
  • 3,181 posts

Posted 04 February 2018 - 06:12 AM

I was rounding because I don't know all the International weight classes in lbs. off the top of my head.

Snyder wrestling Coon is like Zain wrestling Myles Martin from a relative body size standpoint.

#33 TBar1977

TBar1977

Hall of Fame Member

• Members
  • 11,604 posts

Posted 04 February 2018 - 06:14 AM

Snyder wrestling Coon is like Zain wrestling Myles Martin from a relative body size standpoint.

Except Snyder and Coon are in the same weight class, while Zain and MyMar are not. 

#34 madcat11

madcat11

Gold Member

• Members
  • 3,181 posts

Posted 04 February 2018 - 06:15 AM

Just to add an interesting point. Although yes there are a nauseating amount of tOSU excuses circulating at this point.

#35 BigTenFanboy

BigTenFanboy

Gold Member

• Members
  • 3,885 posts

Posted 04 February 2018 - 06:16 AM

A more accurate size comparison in terms of body composition would be Snyder vs Brock Lesnar being equal to Zain vs Martin.

#36 Billyhoyle

Billyhoyle

Gold Member

• Members
  • 2,793 posts

Posted 04 February 2018 - 06:19 AM

Hodge aside, which has more to do with pinning than who the better wrestler is...There are actually people who think Retherford is the better folkstyle wrestler than Snyder??? 

#37 madcat11

madcat11

Gold Member

• Members
  • 3,181 posts

Posted 04 February 2018 - 06:19 AM

A more accurate size comparison in terms of body composition would be Snyder vs Brock Lesnar being equal to Zain vs Martin.

Nolf vs McCutcheon then

#38 TBar1977

TBar1977

Hall of Fame Member

• Members
  • 11,604 posts

Posted 04 February 2018 - 06:20 AM

Suppose there were a 125lbs weight class wrestler who actually weighed 113lbs, and he won the NCAA title but was less dominant than an unbeaten wrestler in one of the middle weight classes. Does he get the Hodge because he was smaller than his peers? 

Which Hodge criteria is that? I missed it. 

#39 BigTenFanboy

BigTenFanboy

Gold Member

• Members
  • 3,885 posts

Posted 04 February 2018 - 06:24 AM

Nolf vs McCutcheon then

Better but still not close. More like Zahid Valencia vs McCutcheon. With that said Synder wrestling 285 also enables him to wrestle lesser athletes in terms of precision and coordination. I would be willing to bet that if their was a 225lbs weight class, it would be a better more competitive weight than 285.

Edited by BigTenFanboy, 04 February 2018 - 06:26 AM.

#40 madcat11

madcat11

Gold Member

• Members
  • 3,181 posts

Posted 04 February 2018 - 06:25 AM

Does he get the Hodge because he was smaller than his peers?

No not for hodge criteria.

But in terms of P4P rankings in the hearts and minds.... Absolutely.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users