CoachWrestling

Attempted shots.. Snyder: 13, Nevills: 2, stall calls: 0

He actually looked tired at yarygyn as well compared to how he normally looks.  It's possible that the jet lag back and forth has had an effect on him.  

It's possible but I doubt it. I'm 53 years old and have spent 30 hours on international flights several times. They completely wipe me out for a day once I land (have to sleep a full day), but after that I'm fine. Kyle on the other hand is a world class athlete who, presumably, has vastly superior recuperative capabilities compared to an old guy like me. And Kyle flew back from Russia 5 days before, he had plenty of time to get his feet back under him.

Maybe NOTHING was wrong with Snyder. Nobody seems to be considering that maybe Nevilles is a better wrestler than the last time they tussled? Probably Cael noticed that if you shut down Kyle's offense that the rest of his cupboard is kinda empty, and helped gen up a plan to keep Snyder from bonus points.

Anyway, the whole thread seems pretty disrespectful to Nevilles. He did a pretty good job keeping Snyder off the bonus points, which is better than nearly anybody else has done this year.

But where in the match would you say Nevils was stalling?

There was nothing blatant but he makes no real effort to score in the 3rd period.  He starts taking his escapes as slow as possible to kill time.  He is definitely engaging in a wrestling match and he is definitely making no effort to win said wrestling match.  I wouldn't call it if you put a whistle in my hands but I wouldn't argue if someone else called it.  

It's possible but I doubt it. I'm 53 years old and have spent 30 hours on international flights several times. They completely wipe me out for a day once I land (have to sleep a full day), but after that I'm fine. Kyle on the other hand is a world class athlete who, presumably, has vastly superior recuperative capabilities compared to an old guy like me. And Kyle flew back from Russia 5 days before, he had plenty of time to get his feet back under him.

Maybe NOTHING was wrong with Snyder. Nobody seems to be considering that maybe Nevilles is a better wrestler than the last time they tussled? Probably Cael noticed that if you shut down Kyle's offense that the rest of his cupboard is kinda empty, and helped gen up a plan to keep Snyder from bonus points.

Anyway, the whole thread seems pretty disrespectful to Nevilles. He did a pretty good job keeping Snyder off the bonus points, which is better than nearly anybody else has done this year.

So you would bet he keeps it out of bonus if they wrestle again?  

And maybe you didn't have to wrestle a nationally ranked d1 285 when you came back.

There was nothing blatant but he makes no real effort to score in the 3rd period. He starts taking his escapes as slow as possible to kill time. He is definitely engaging in a wrestling match and he is definitely making no effort to win said wrestling match. I wouldn't call it if you put a whistle in my hands but I wouldn't argue if someone else called it.

This is a fair statement. With that said nothing in that match constitutes stalling. He wasn't backing up. He wasn't laying flat on bottom. He wasn't clinging to a leg. He managed the match as well as anyone could trying to avoid giving up bonus. That's not stalling. When offensive opportunites presented themsevles he actibely went for them. When it comes to dual meet wrestling, sometimes your job is to not give up bonus. That's not the same as stalling. Edited by BigTenFanboy

This is a fair statement. With that said nothing in that match constitutes stalling. He wasn't backing up. He wasn't laying flat on bottom. He wasn't clinging to a leg. He managed the match as well as anyone could trying to avoid giving up bonus. That's not stalling. When it comes to dual meet wrestling, sometimes your job is to not give up bonus. That's not the same as stalling.

And that's part of what makes duals fun.  There's more than one way to "win" a match and matches that normally would be one sided snoozers can become extremely interesting and important. 

And that's part of what makes duals fun.  There's more than one way to "win" a match and matches that normally would be one sided snoozers can become extremely interesting and important.

I am willing to bet that Nevils is very happy and viewed as a hero right now in Happy Valley where as Snyder is not at all happy with his performance.

This is a fair statement. With that said nothing in that match constitutes stalling. He wasn't backing up. He wasn't laying flat on bottom. He wasn't clinging to a leg. He managed the match as well as anyone could trying to avoid giving up bonus. That's not stalling. When offensive opportunites presented themsevles he actibely went for them. When it comes to dual meet wrestling, sometimes your job is to not give up bonus. That's not the same as stalling.

Not attempting to score can absolutely be called stalling.  He stopped attempting to score after the 1st period, and he stopped even pretending to counter after the 2nd period.  He did a good job of engaging in the match and not backing out so I wouldn't have called him, but spending a whole period not trying to score is rule book stalling.  Not to mention when he started trying to avoid getting escapes for as long as possible to kill clock.  I would have called him for stalling when he refused to stand up when Snyder let him, but the ref called a non-escape and non-takedown instead.  

Not attempting to score can absolutely be called stalling. He stopped attempting to score after the 1st period, and he stopped even pretending to counter after the 2nd period. He did a good job of engaging in the match and not backing out so I wouldn't have called him, but spending a whole period not trying to score is rule book stalling. Not to mention when he started trying to avoid getting escapes for as long as possible to kill clock. I would have called him for stalling when he refused to stand up when Snyder let him, but the ref called a non-escape and non-takedown instead.

Ok thank you for offering situations where you as a red would have called for stalling. That's what I was asking for.

Also I agree with you in rematch Snyder probably gets a major or better.

Edited by BigTenFanboy

I don't think Nevills was stalling, but I could understand a call late in the match since he was not even trying to score.

The stalling call that bothers me is when a bottom man is getting absolutely mauled on top (ex. Double grapes with a power half) and the bottom man gets hit with stalling, when he simply can't improve his situation. If Spencer Lee has a guy flat on his belly for 2 minutes, the bottom guy isn't stalling. He is simply being dominated.

Stalling at heavyweight is always called differently. If a 141 or 149 just pushed and hand fought for 2 periods they would be DQ 'd. At heavy weight that is the norm. Push shove ,hand fight. On bottom tripod up ,then stand , turn and go back to pushing and shoving. The last few years we have had some really good athletic heavyweights . They shoot, they scramble. They are a lot of fun to watch.

Stalling at heavyweight is always called differently. If a 141 or 149 just pushed and hand fought for 2 periods they would be DQ 'd. At heavy weight that is the norm. Push shove ,hand fight. On bottom tripod up ,then stand , turn and go back to pushing and shoving. The last few years we have had some really good athletic heavyweights . They shoot, they scramble. They are a lot of fun to watch.

How many times was Jason Tsirtsis DQ'd? 

Ryan’s guys have all had issues on bottom. It is a serious problem.

Mental breakdowns from 165 and up was the problem.

Moore looked exhausted. He usually has a motor that never stops and he looked tired and weak from the get to. Guys got to hyped up and it showed.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I have listened to a few podcasts, watched white board wars on Flo and read some good prognosticators takes on predictions leading up to this dual. I have not seen or heard one person anticipate that Snyder would be fatigued from his travels before the match. It’s funny that after all the in-depth analysis leading up to the bout that no one guessed that Snyder would be too fatigued to major, tech or pin Nevills.