KTG119

that shoe company

I've noticed most top programs are wearing wrestling shoes from that one Oregon based company. Seeing Iowa in anything but ASICS is really weird to me (not sure how long that's been the deal just registered with me recently watching some of the duals).

anyway, what schools do not wear the brand I will not name?

I've noticed most top programs are wearing wrestling shoes from that one Oregon based company. Seeing Iowa in anything but ASICS is really weird to me (not sure how long that's been the deal just registered with me recently watching some of the duals).

anyway, what schools do not wear the brand I will not name?

From what I've heard, the shoes from Nike are the most comfortable with great grip and support. Best shoes on the market.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

From what I've heard, the shoes from Nike are the most comfortable with great grip and support. Best shoes on the market.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

maybe they are, and I also realize many schools have an all in with that company so all sports are outfitted accordingly. that said, wrestling wise....that company is fine with taking $ from this community but gave a rat's ass about saving wrestling at the school they flood with support.

I don't hate Penn ST or tOSU for wearing their shoes....but I can still hate the maker of those shoes (and in turn pretty much every sport at U of Oregon). and like I said. Iowa not wearing ASICS/Gables is weird for me.

I didn't think that many wrestling teams were obliged to wear the shoe brand that their athletics dept has a contract with - mostly because that money doesn't trickle down from football and basketball down to wrestling.

So I figured that wrestlers just wear whatever they like or what their role models wear or endorse.

I didn't think that many wrestling teams were obliged to wear the shoe brand that their athletics dept has a contract with - mostly because that money doesn't trickle down from football and basketball down to wrestling.

So I figured that wrestlers just wear whatever they like or what their role models wear or endorse.

I could be wrong that there is a trickle down, but wouldn't Penn ST guys (or some anyway) wear Cael's shoes and not that other kind if they had a choice?

Let's just go MMA style and drop shoes altogether.  They're really unnecessary for the sport.  Kinda like headgear.  Make it optional. 

Or... we can all just accept the fact that these guys are gonna wear what is most comfy for them, and call it a day.  I honestly do not like the concept of a wrestler being "forced" to wear because the school says so.  These archaic rules are for beings less than humans in the 21st century, and we need to all evolve past these antiquated artifacts of yesterday.   

Teams get gear packages from the university's contract apparel company (ex IU is Adidas - the wrestlers get t shirts, sweats, socks, shorts, shoes - typically of their choice, some can choose Varners, others Combat Speeds, etc).

A wrestler may get away with wearing a different brand of shoe, but more often than not the team wears the same brand.

Haven't seen it since McIntosh, but some that wear shoes not with the affiliated sponsor remove the brands marking. I was told in college for opens we could wear whatever, but for matches and mainstream tournaments it had to be adidas.

if the university has a contract with Nike, then everyone will wear Nike. Just like if the university has a contract with Pepsi then you will only find Pepsi products in campus vending machines, food service, etc.

Nike honcho Phil Knight axed wrestling so he could start baseball at Oregon.  Nothing circuitous about it.  He's a jerk and I won't ever buy a Nike product.  Adidas does just fine by me.

We have a total ban on everything Nike. You will not find a single swoosh in our house. 

Podcast over the summer with APS rep said that Nike is the sole provider/sponsor for world teams. They were also the sole rep at Fargo which caused a stink with groups like Rudis setting up across the street. Rep said that Nike realized they screwed up and are trying to rebuild trust in the brand and its support of wrestling. I was a hater of all things Nike until I heard that podcast. Still refuse to spend my money on their products, but now I wear gifts that are Nike. Interesting listen from June on mat talk online.

Until Oregon is wrestling again the total ban is in place. I don't care if they are "sorry" and trying to rebuild trust. 

My kid wore nothing but Asics his entire life, for wrestling that is. He wore some weird ass skater shoes that look completely uncomfortable on a daily basis.  

Phil Knight had it within his power to save Oregon Wrestling.  He practically owned the University of Oregon with the money he gave them.  He was responsible for setting up Pat Kilkenny as AD, who killed the program.  Kilkenny didn't even have a college degree for crying out loud.  He was the only D1 AD to not have what would normally be a basic requirement for the job.

Wrestlers, Nike is NOT a true friend of wrestling.

What about Gatorade? Gatorade started at the University of Florida as a way to fuel their athletic program. Gatorade took off and essentially started a multi-billion dollar industry of which they are the king of. Once football got big at UF, they cut their wrestling team to build a better weight room and accommodate more...gatorade. Gatorade could have got involved, but they chose not to. Boycott Gatorade! 

I was driving the anti-Nike train for a long time. The reality is this, at the time when Uncle Phil allowed his buddy Pat Kilkenney to drop the wrestling program at Oregon, Nike didn't have much of a stake in wrestling. Yes, PK (both of them) could have stroked a check and saved it, neither of them had any responsibility to do so. That's the hard reality. You had a school that wanted to get rid of it because of an agenda of a woefully under-qualified money guy who could make a new arena happen and a new baseball field happen, too.

We've seen how much Oregon's lost on its baseball experiment. 

What I've learned is Nike has increased its presence in wrestling, expanded its brand and signed on with AthletePS to serve as its wrestling distributor. That group has done a pretty sold job in branding and there was a pretty good stake involved in restarting the Fresno State wrestling program from what I've been told. Does Nike get a pass? Absolutely not. 

Boycotting Nike products from the wrestling community caused them ZERO harm. It's not like they even knew we were there as consumers. The difference is now, the brand has an investment into the sport and if the brand sees value, that could be a beneficial thing in the long run, especially when it comes to sponsorship of athletes on their run to the Olympics, etc. 

I've only worn the swoosh as a gift and I'm still not purchasing just yet -- Asics shoes actually fit my wide foot better than anything I've found since Nike had the old Penny Hardaway basketball shoes (the last pair of Nikes I owned) -- but let's think about this rationally: Oregon wrestling ain't going to come back, so let's stop with the pipe dream that our boycott is going to impact anything from this billion-dollar company and what it cares to do with its playground in Eugene. There's a generation of kids out there who seem to love their gear -- and they are the ones who dictate what the parents buy -- its out of our hands for the most part. What the kids and athletes want will dictate Nike's presence in wrestling. They're here now. If they see their products doing well in wrestling, then that could be a long term positive. 

The decision to drop wrestling was underhanded and despicable and done by shady creatures, but we're 11-12 years removed and a very small percentage of the kids out there wrestling on the high school and college mats probably even knew about the situation at Oregon. The crew at AthletePS didn't have anything to do with that cut -- so that's who we're dealing with - a wrestling company that's now got new Nike gear. The guilty by association thing can only last so long. 

Our "boycott" hasn't impacted them a bit. Support  could move the needle much more. Just a devil's advocate perspective.