KTG119

that shoe company

I get it we're a tiny barnacle on a blue whale's fin but that does not mean I have to forget. Somethings, regardless of impact are the right thing to do.

When a neighbor burns down your house you don't forgive or forget even if he owns a contracting company and offers to rebuild, for a high fee of course.   

I was driving the anti-Nike train for a long time. The reality is this, at the time when Uncle Phil allowed his buddy Pat Kilkenney to drop the wrestling program at Oregon, Nike didn't have much of a stake in wrestling. Yes, PK (both of them) could have stroked a check and saved it, neither of them had any responsibility to do so. That's the hard reality. You had a school that wanted to get rid of it because of an agenda of a woefully under-qualified money guy who could make a new arena happen and a new baseball field happen, too.

We've seen how much Oregon's lost on its baseball experiment. 

What I've learned is Nike has increased its presence in wrestling, expanded its brand and signed on with AthletePS to serve as its wrestling distributor. That group has done a pretty sold job in branding and there was a pretty good stake involved in restarting the Fresno State wrestling program from what I've been told. Does Nike get a pass? Absolutely not. 

Boycotting Nike products from the wrestling community caused them ZERO harm. It's not like they even knew we were there as consumers. The difference is now, the brand has an investment into the sport and if the brand sees value, that could be a beneficial thing in the long run, especially when it comes to sponsorship of athletes on their run to the Olympics, etc. 

I've only worn the swoosh as a gift and I'm still not purchasing just yet -- Asics shoes actually fit my wide foot better than anything I've found since Nike had the old Penny Hardaway basketball shoes (the last pair of Nikes I owned) -- but let's think about this rationally: Oregon wrestling ain't going to come back, so let's stop with the pipe dream that our boycott is going to impact anything from this billion-dollar company and what it cares to do with its playground in Eugene. There's a generation of kids out there who seem to love their gear -- and they are the ones who dictate what the parents buy -- its out of our hands for the most part. What the kids and athletes want will dictate Nike's presence in wrestling. They're here now. If they see their products doing well in wrestling, then that could be a long term positive. 

The decision to drop wrestling was underhanded and despicable and done by shady creatures, but we're 11-12 years removed and a very small percentage of the kids out there wrestling on the high school and college mats probably even knew about the situation at Oregon. The crew at AthletePS didn't have anything to do with that cut -- so that's who we're dealing with - a wrestling company that's now got new Nike gear. The guilty by association thing can only last so long. 

Our "boycott" hasn't impacted them a bit. Support  could move the needle much more. Just a devil's advocate perspective. 

I have family in Eugene, and it's the principle of the whole Nike/Oregon wrestling thing with me.  Knight and Kilkenny killed the program.  People came up with the money to save it, begged for it to continue, and they STILL killed it.

I am sure Nike's advertising dollars and savvy marketing tactics will soften things for some  The younger generation may forget.   But I will never own a Nike product, EVER!

Don't teams have contracts with Nike and they get free gear from them?  I'm pretty sure they are wearing Nike because the university has a contract and they are getting those shoes for free through them to practice/compete in. 

Edited by Billyhoyle

I've noticed most top programs are wearing wrestling shoes from that one Oregon based company. Seeing Iowa in anything but ASICS is really weird to me (not sure how long that's been the deal just registered with me recently watching some of the duals).

anyway, what schools do not wear the brand I will not name?

You are my hero KTG. I will never purchase a product by that “wrestling killing company.”

There's some kind of irony with Oregon sacrificing wrestling for baseball and paying for it, and Boise state doing the same thing right now. 

Anyway, do wrestlers these days actually prefer wearing Nike? Seems that there aren't a whole lot of options these days - Nike, Asics, Adidas? - whereas in the past there were a few more choices with Nike, Asics/Onitsuka and their billion different varieties of shoes, Adidas, Converse, Fila(?), Cliff Keens, Puma, BRUTE, etc. 

I just don't know if any of the brands out there really appeal to kids beyond specific models with "hero" endorsements, like Caels or Varners or the gold JB Asics or whatever the David Taylor Adidas are called. Wrestlers may be wearing Nike, but I don't know if they are in love with the brand because it isn't doesn't really resonate with kids these days. At least it isn't seen as "cool" like Under Armour. There's a running debate at my work as to why, but it's happening. Like when UCLA switched from Adidas to UA (instead of Nike) and Cal went from Nike/Jordan to UA, the students and athletes alike were psyched af about getting UA merch. I was shocked because I think UA gear looks ugly as hell, but what do I know. 

Imo, if Under Armour put out a series of functional wrestling shoes, it would put a huge dent into Nike's share of the wrestling market. They have some nice college programs already in their pocket, plus MMA, as well as a huge opportunity to endorse Kyle Snyder and Helen Maroulis with the whole MD connection. 

I'm not saying the principle of the boycott is wrong, in fact, I still to this day haven't bought a Nike product since Oregon cut wrestling. I'm contending the fact if we think any boycott is "going to show Nike" is just wasting the effort to not buy something. 

Nike is in wrestling, but does that mean the wrestling people who are working with their brand to provide products should be viewed as the enemy? That's the one thing we need to consider. Those people did nothing wrong. In fact, those people probably have more stake in Nike coming back into wrestling than Uncle Phil and degree-lacking Pat Kilkenny. 

I have been boycotting NIKE since long before they whacked the Ducks' program. They treat their overseas workers like slaves. Yeah a lot of other clothing companies do, but they are the biggest (at least among those who make athletic gear).

Of course I have been boycotting Nestles for 40 years. If you are not boycotting that company.....Well just read about their stunts with bottled water and with baby formula in Africa.

The one that hurts is New Balance. I have had a lot of their products over the years, have three pairs of shoes I am still using Heck,  their better shoes are USA made. But the killed Boston U wrestling for LaCrosse.    

Wrestling shoes suck, as a general rule. At least in my experience. The most comfortable "wrestling" shoes I had were cheapass hi-top Converses, plus much better off the mat than ASICS.

This is a fact! Ever try to refurbish an old pair of shoes made in the early 90's or before? Their construction and durability is 10x better than the shoes made today. This goes across the board with every brand. I have an old pair of Asics International Lytes and inspite of the fact that they'e 25+ years old they will outlive the reissued version that came out last year. The same thing can be said about 20+ year old Adidas Combat Speeds compared to the reissues that have been coming out the past few years.

Wrestling shoes suck, as a general rule. At least in my experience. The most comfortable "wrestling" shoes I had were cheapass hi-top Converses, plus much better off the mat than ASICS.

in my day (which ain't much different from yours as far as I can tell), the only guys who wore chucks or other non wrestling shoes were 1) fish who you pinned quickly or 2) summer tournament guys goofing that kicked your ass sideways 'cause there was no internet to tell you they were really really good. 

I've worn all the big brands and I like Asics better than Nike. The grip feels better to me.

I love Nike in general but their quality seems have gotten horrible in the past couple of years in every sport. Their Crossfit shoes suck compared to Reebok.

Only comfortable Nike shoe in the market are AirMax 90

FWIW....The way I understood it was Knight didn't believe that wrestling projected the appropriate image for Oregon Athletics...or something along those lines...whether it

makes a difference or not...I don't do anything Nike...just like I won't do anything Meryl Streep, Julia Louis-Dreyfuss, Johnny Depp, Bruce Springsteen, Bette Midler, Streisand, etc,. and the rest of their ilk...they don't get one more penny from me, even if it doesn't impact them much.  

I'm not saying the principle of the boycott is wrong, in fact, I still to this day haven't bought a Nike product since Oregon cut wrestling. I'm contending the fact if we think any boycott is "going to show Nike" is just wasting the effort to not buy something. 

Nike is in wrestling, but does that mean the wrestling people who are working with their brand to provide products should be viewed as the enemy? That's the one thing we need to consider. Those people did nothing wrong. In fact, those people probably have more stake in Nike coming back into wrestling than Uncle Phil and degree-lacking Pat Kilkenny. 

I hold no ill will towards anybody who chooses to use Nike I just REFUSE to support that "organization" in any way shape or form until Oregon has wrestling again. May never happen but then I'll never buy Nike. 

We have a total ban on everything Nike. You will not find a single swoosh in our house. 

I'm the exact same way.  Once that happened I refused to every buy a Nike product again.  I actually got a pair of Nike running shoes as a gift and returned them to buy Adidas.  

I'm the exact same way.  Once that happened I refused to every buy a Nike product again.  I actually got a pair of Nike running shoes as a gift and returned them to buy Adidas.  

What about Asics or Onitsuka. Now that's an old school name right here.  

buy whatever products you like best but I wouldn't avoid Nike wrestling products just because of Oregon dropping wrestling. avoid Oregon University and non-wrestling Nike products but its more than cool imo to buy and wear Nike wrestling gear. Nike via APS invests quite a lot into the sport, they are good people. 

Kids like Nike. The brand has a swag to it, and that's not going to stop. Especially if they continue to release new shoes, and re release their more popular original shoes. Everyone can "boycott" as they wish, but the fact is HS kids, younger college kids, and everything down really don't care or even know about Oregon for that matter, unfortunately. 

So the brand will grow, and Nike wrestling specifically will grow. Its probably better for the sport in the long run that Nike has a stake in Wrestling. Smaller brands that focus on specific sports have a ceiling unfortunately. I want those companies to stay afloat for sure, as they are essential to the community as well, but chances are - they will never be Nike, Under Armor, or Adidas "big". 

Edited by iGranby

Reminds me of the old Ohio State High School Wrestling Tournament when it was held at Wright State, which dropped its wrestling program.  All these wrestling people filling the coffers of a school that dumped on the sport.  OHSAA finally wised up and took the meet to Ohio State, where wrestling is treated with respect.