KTG119

that shoe company

Reminds me of the old Ohio State High School Wrestling Tournament when it was held at Wright State, which dropped its wrestling program.  All these wrestling people filling the coffers of a school that dumped on the sport.  OHSAA finally wised up and took the meet to Ohio State, where wrestling is treated with respect.

Plus, the Schott is a sick venue for the state tournament. Big upgrade - especially seeing as how the finals and semis sell out nearly every year. 

Kids like Nike. The brand has a swag to it, and that's not going to stop. Especially if they continue to release new shoes, and re release their more popular original shoes. Everyone can "boycott" as they wish, but the fact is HS kids, younger college kids, and everything down really don't care or even know about Oregon for that matter, unfortunately. 

So the brand will grow, and Nike wrestling specifically will grow. Its probably better for the sport in the long run that Nike has a stake in Wrestling. Smaller brands that focus on specific sports have a ceiling unfortunately. I want those companies to stay afloat for sure, as they are essential to the community as well, but chances are - they will never be Nike, Under Armor, or Adidas "big". 

Not my kid. I told him of the evil Nike corporation and the reason for total household ban. It's now moved to his girlfriend. 

Edited by Zebra

Not my kid.

Good for you, and your kid. Him and lets say 19 others out of 100 roll that way, and that's great. The other 80 though are probably going to buy those shoes, or support that brand in one way or another, lol.  

Good for you, and your kid. Him and lets say 19 others out of 100 roll that way, and that's great. The other 80 though are probably going to buy those shoes, or support that brand in one way or another, lol.  

And I hold them no ill will I just steadfastly refuse to support the swoosh in any way shape or form until Oregon has wrestling again. 

And I hold them no ill will I just steadfastly refuse to support the swoosh in any way shape or form until Oregon has wrestling again. 

Yeah, I gotcha. That's a fair (and probably the right) way to go about it. 

Reminds me of the old Ohio State High School Wrestling Tournament when it was held at Wright State, which dropped its wrestling program.  All these wrestling people filling the coffers of a school that dumped on the sport.  OHSAA finally wised up and took the meet to Ohio State, where wrestling is treated with respect.

It must have been an accident as OHSAA rarely does anything wisely. You are talking about an organization that runs its state semi final matches for 3 divisions simultaneously on NINE mats. Who in the hell can follow semi finals on 9 mats?

It must have been an accident as OHSAA rarely does anything wisely. You are talking about an organization that runs its state semi final matches for 3 divisions simultaneously on NINE mats. Who in the hell can follow semi finals on 9 mats?

I love it. I also grew up within it and have learned how to pick out right right matches to watch. I think its cool. 

FWIW....The way I understood it was Knight didn't believe that wrestling projected the appropriate image for Oregon Athletics...or something along those lines...whether it

makes a difference or not...I don't do anything Nike...just like I won't do anything Meryl Streep, Julia Louis-Dreyfuss, Johnny Depp, Bruce Springsteen, Bette Midler, Streisand, etc,. and the rest of their ilk...they don't get one more penny from me, even if it doesn't impact them much.

With you in all of the above and for 2 years running have not watched professional football.

Let's just go MMA style and drop shoes altogether.  They're really unnecessary for the sport.  Kinda like headgear.  Make it optional. 

Or... we can all just accept the fact that these guys are gonna wear what is most comfy for them, and call it a day.  I honestly do not like the concept of a wrestler being "forced" to wear because the school says so.  These archaic rules are for beings less than humans in the 21st century, and we need to all evolve past these antiquated artifacts of yesterday.   

Apparel deals are unevolved?  Did I miss something?

Nike remains a status symbol outside of wrestling. Walk into most any high school or kids tournaments in the country and Nike makes up 60-plus percent of the shoes on non-adult feet, if I had to guess on the low end of things. Nike is smart enough to realize this and is investing their money where they can make money.

In high school, for me, is was Asics, specifically the Gable Ultraflex XLs (Thank you, T&T Brands) and after high school, as I bought my own, it was Adidas all the way, with the exception of one pair of Kolats.

This seems like a pretty big deal: https://unitedworldwrestling.org/article/united-world-wrestling-announces-partnership-nike-wrestling-athlete-performance-solutions

I know it's more of an international story, but I'm curious to hear what ppl think. Getting the Nike promotions engine behind wrestling sounds great, but I don't totally get the mechanics of the deal or the whole APS thing.

But if Nike sees success at the international level, whatever that metric might look like or be, maybe the company will put more energy and dollars into college or club/RTC wrestling sponsorships?

Until Phil Knight (Nike) plops down a boatload of cash to restart and endow both mens and womens teams at Oregon, I will continue to call attention to what was done out there.  Knight personally put Kilkenny in to kill the wrestling program.  It was a plan, not an accident.  Kilkenny was a wrestling-hating liar doing Phil Knight's bidding.

Now, Nike is hoping people forgot or don't care anymore, and they can grab market share in wrestling.

If Nike wants to buy its way back into good graces with the wrestling community, they need to correct the wrong that was committed at Oregon.

Until Phil Knight (Nike) plops down a boatload of cash to restart and endow both mens and womens teams at Oregon, I will continue to call attention to what was done out there.  Knight personally put Kilkenny in to kill the wrestling program.  It was a plan, not an accident.  Kilkenny was a wrestling-hating liar doing Phil Knight's bidding.

Now, Nike is hoping people forgot or don't care anymore, and they can grab market share in wrestling.

If Nike wants to buy its way back into good graces with the wrestling community, they need to correct the wrong that was committed at Oregon.

Preach on.  I feel similar.  I have boycotted Nike shoes since then.  Asics or Hoka's for me :-)

What about Asics or Onitsuka. Now that's an old school name right here.  

I was just in Korea and there was an Onitsuka/Tiger store, I guess they just dont make wrestling shoes anymore.  I should have taken a picture. 

Edited by jeffr_ideal

I was just in Korea and there was an Onitsuka/Tiger store, I guess they just dont make wrestling shoes anymore.  I should have taken a picture. 

I believe outside the US the company is still Onitsuka and you can certainly order shoes from them. For the most part I think their sports brand is Asics.