Sign in to follow this  
pennsyrules

Intangibles...

I wrestled in the 80's and Iowa was always known for their mental toughness.  Obviously, Gable instilled that in his wrestlers and it carried them to wins against guys who were very talented but maybe not as mental tough.  Matches that come to mind are Alger vs Jackson and Brands vs Prescott.

I started watching wrestling in the late 70's and watched guys like Mills, Carr, Schultz, Kemp and others dominate with their mental toughness.  These guys were extremely talented but had the belief that they couldn't be beat.  You could say the same thing about a guy like Tom Brady or a Derrick Jeter.  These guys just refuse to lose.

We can argue about whether wrestling is better or worse than the 70's, 80's , 90's etc. but the one thing that I don't think is debatable is the importance of mental toughness and the refusal to lose.

I watched Kyle Dake since he was in jr. high and did I think he would ever have been as good as he turned out to be?  However, when you hear people talk about his competitiveness ever since he walked into the Cornell room, you realize that he was something special.  Still, it is one thing to "talk the talk" but some actually "walk the walk".

Let me get to my point.  Sanderson is instilling this into his kids and getting the most out of their abilities because they refuse to lose.  The Ohio State match proved this on many levels.  I believe, better than anyone, Sanderson has transferred this skill to his wrestlers.  For the most part, you don't see PSU kids faltering in the big matches(5 for 5 last year proves this).  But even the other night when I was at the match, PSU came up big in every match and when you look at their faces, they believe they will do it.  Nickal vs Martin, Cassar vs Moore, Hall vs Jordan,  and on and on.

It's this intangible..whether you call it mental toughness, refusal to lose, or supreme confidence, that is a vital part to becoming a champion.

Edited by pennsyrules

If you watch them walking around after shaking hands at the end you'll see Cael get Nevills' attention and tell him "You can beat him".  It might be my favorite part of the whole night.  Instead of celebrating he was focused on coaching and letting Nick know how much he believes in him.

If you watch them walking around after shaking hands at the end you'll see Cael get Nevills' attention and tell him "You can beat him". It might be my favorite part of the whole night. Instead of celebrating he was focused on coaching and letting Nick know how much he believes in him.

That's literally delusional, he wasn't even close to beating him even with Snyder going for reckless lat drops to try to give his team the win. Easy MD or TF in March. 

Edited by CoachWrestling

That's literally delusional, he wasn't even close to beating him even with Snyder going for reckless lat drops to try to give his team the win. Easy MD or TF in March.

It's called coaching. Or do you expect him to tell his wrestlers "try your best, but yea you have ZERO chance of beating that guy."

Was Rulon Gardner and his coaches "literally" delusional" when they went after Karelin at the 2000 Olympics?

Was Helen Maroulis and her coaches "literally delusional" when they believed she could win the Olympic gold?

Getting your guys to believe they can beat anyone no matter how huge of an obstical if they train and prepare the right way is LITERALLY the first step in good coaching.

Good job liking your own post btw.

Edited by BigTenFanboy

I wrestled in the 80's and Iowa was always known for their mental toughness. Obviously, Gable instilled that in his wrestlers and it carried them to wins against guys who were very talented but maybe not as mental tough. Matches that come to mind are Alger vs Jackson and Brands vs Prescott.

I started watching wrestling in the late 70's and watched guys like Mills, Carr, Schultz, Kemp and others dominate with their mental toughness. These guys were extremely talented but had the belief that they couldn't be beat. You could say the same thing about a guy like Tom Brady or a Derrick Jeter. These guys just refuse to lose.

We can argue about whether wrestling is better or worse than the 70's, 80's , 90's etc. but the one thing that I don't think is debatable is the importance of mental toughness and the refusal to lose.

I watched Kyle Dake since he was in jr. high and did I think he would ever have been as good as he turned out to be? However, when you hear people talk about his competitiveness ever since he walked into the Cornell room, you realize that he was something special. Still, it is one thing to "talk the talk" but some actually "walk the walk".

Let me get to my point. Sanderson is instilling this into his kids and getting the most out of their abilities because they refuse to lose. The Ohio State match proved this on many levels. I believe, better than anyone, Sanderson has transferred this skill to his wrestlers. For the most part, you don't see PSU kids faltering in the big matches(5 for 5 last year proves this). But even the other night when I was at the match, PSU came up big in every match and when you look at their faces, they believe they will do it. Nickal vs Martin, Cassar vs Moore, Hall vs Jordan, and on and on.

It's this intangible..whether you call it mental toughness, refusal to lose, or supreme confidence, that is a vital part to becoming a champion.

Tom Brady literally lost one day ago.

It's a different brand of toughness. As the title says, it is an intangible factor that Sanderson instills in the team that convinces them they can do the impossible. Cenzo wasn't supposed to win last year yet he did. Who is to say Nevills doesn't find a way to put Snyder to his back?

At the top level of wrestling, there is a small margin of  difference  in the physical talent, the elite wrestlers have. Quoted from one of the best coaches ever, in any sport," to be a champion the mental to the physical, is, as four is to one". That being said, as you pointed out, Cael is getting that results from his recruits. And you see that ,with a guy like an undersize Snyder. 

Im sure that realistically Cael knows Nevills will not beat Snyder - but as other pointed out, the only way to close the gap or get the wrestler to believe in themselves is to tell them that you believe in them. If Nick doesnt give himself a chance in his head - then he can never physically go out there and do it, even if its a 1 in a million chance. 

Good coaches dont tell their kids "you cant beat him" they say "Why not you?"

It's a different brand of toughness. As the title says, it is an intangible factor that Sanderson instills in the team that convinces them they can do the impossible. Cenzo wasn't supposed to win last year yet he did. Who is to say Nevills doesn't find a way to put Snyder to his back?

I think someone figured how to take Snyder to his back before :)

I wrestled in the 80's and Iowa was always known for their mental toughness.  Obviously, Gable instilled that in his wrestlers and it carried them to wins against guys who were very talented but maybe not as mental tough.  Matches that come to mind are Alger vs Jackson and Brands vs Prescott.

overall agree with your premise, disagree with Prescott example. yeah Terry laid a beat down on him but Prescott isn't a guy I would have characterized as lacking mental toughness.  

overall agree with your premise, disagree with Prescott example. yeah Terry laid a beat down on him but Prescott isn't a guy I would have characterized as lacking mental toughness.  

That's called putting words in someone's mouth.  He never said "lacking mental toughness."  He said "maybe not as mentally tough."  You know, like Brands was a 99 mentally tough and Prescott was maybe a 97.

That's called putting words in someone's mouth.  He never said "lacking mental toughness."  He said "maybe not as mentally tough."  You know, like Brands was a 99 mentally tough and Prescott was maybe a 97.

I'll reword then....I think Prescott was as mentally tough as Brands, and that one match does not change my opinion on that. 

I'll reword then....I think Prescott was as mentally tough as Brands, and that one match does not change my opinion on that. 

Fair enough.  Not all matches are decided in favor of the more mentally tough wrestler, as we all know.  Sometimes it is just a bit of luck, a little half shot just when the other guy takes a full shot getting in deep...a tiny wrong step at the wrong time.

As far as Sanderson telling Nevills "you can beat him", it doesn't matter at all if the chances are 1 in 10,000, it only matters if Nevills believes it.  Most good wrestlers believe they can beat the Brian Shute, and because they believe it they sometimes do beat him.  One thing I know for sure, if Nevills doesn't believe he can beat Snyder, then he never ever will.

Part of it is the coach, but a big part of it is the wrestler. Mental toughness, like any athletic trait, is to some degree genetically predetermined and can also be developed. Gable found the kids who fit his mold and put their mental toughness into overdrive. It's as important to be able to identify those kids as it is to know how to develop their toughness, and Gable knew how to do both. Same for Cael.