russelscout

U.S. Bank Stadium 2020 NCAA Championships

Lived here for nearly six years in total. January gets brutally cold. 

March, the average high is 41, but last year, the day I left for St. Louis, it was warmer in Minneapolis than it was St. Louis. 

It's bitter cold in January and the first part of February. By March, it's chilly, but I've been colder other places on St. Patrick's Day. 

If you're going to skip it, that's on you. Minneapolis is a fantastic town for things wrestling people like to do. And for those who can't brave a brisk 32 degree night, there are skyways. I'm born and raised near the beach, so I hate this climate in January. Not much of an issue in March. Unless you're used to March in Florida. 

Looks like to me that  2020 will be easier to watch from home.I said I would go every year until I die this year will be my 24th in a row but MN might be the year I skip.

I don't think that's true. There will still be 20k seats with just as good of a view as you'd have at any other arena.  Just buy those tickets.  

Additionally, if they do the fanfest on the field, you won't have to leave the venue. 

We will now get to see actual demand. Will they sell 30k a session? Will they sell 60k for the finals?

Edited by Pinnum

us-bank-stadium-vikings-madden-16-082015

I would assume that they will have the finals mat in the side of the stadium with the biggest screen so you can see the mat and the video screen at the same time. Having the widows showling the Minneapolis skyline would probably make for better television and crowd pans.

It sucks that there is no division I wrestling in Texas because if they want a big stadium for the championships because I think AT&T stadium would be ideal.  Went there for a football game and the picture below does not do their jumbotron justice.  The video board could be used in the early rounds as a split screen and have a feed for every mat that would be larger than life. I think the advantage here is the video board is 4 sided and located in the middle of the field.

cotton-jumbo.jpg

Comparing the two video screens besides the central location AT&T is 180 by 72 feet and 51 by 29 feet on the ends, US Bank is 120 by 68 feet or 88 by 51 feet in either endzone. The Cowboys can raise and lower their scoreboard to adjust to whatever would happen with sightlines or seating.

http://www.nj.com/eagles/index.ssf/2014/11/how_big_is_the_dallas_cowboys_massive_screen_in_att_stadium.html

https://www.twincities.com/2016/07/31/stadiums-tech-experience-designed-to-entice-fans/

Vikings discuss decision to mount in endzones as opposed to overhead.

http://www.vikings.com/news/new-stadium/article-1/US-Bank-Stadiums-High-Res-Video-Boards-in-Place/ef3c1bc6-c713-4368-8342-05899eccb219

I would be curious as to how the audio levels will compare to arenas and how loud it will be when it is half full versus full for football games.

News-2017-Summer-Welcome-Ceremony-Settin

jboydtx-20130825005443.jpg

Edited by KSchlosser

Terrible idea for live fan viewing. The worst viewing seats in the St. Louis seating will be better than 2/3 of the seating in the Dome configuration. Just the elite 1/3 seats around the floor will be good for actual closeness viewing.  

Terrible idea for live fan viewing. The worst viewing seats in the St. Louis seating will be better than 2/3 of the seating in the Dome configuration. Just the elite 1/3 seats around the floor will be good for actual closeness viewing.

Which arena have you been to using the configurations that made you come to that conclusion?

18 hours ago, CB said:

I will have to remember binoculars.  I may finally break down and get the mat radio too :-)

Yeah, no doubt, I just can't imagine selling more than 30-45k seats, so not sure why they would use the whole arena. I hope they use half the stadium and bring in seats.

Edited by Michigan wrestling

9 minutes ago, steamboat_charlie v2 said:

I grabbed 4 in 109 or something like that.  Just hoping I can unload them at face value after I find out i'll be approximately 75 yards from the nearest mat with a giant set of bleachers blocking my view.  

lol

On 2/6/2018 at 4:17 PM, KSchlosser said:

I would assume that they will have the finals mat in the side of the stadium with the biggest screen so you can see the mat and the video screen at the same time. Having the widows showling the Minneapolis skyline would probably make for better television and crowd pans.

Widows: Women who have lost their spouses by death and have not remarried.

SHOWL:  Acronym for "Shoving My head on wall laughing."

23 minutes ago, Boompa said:

I don't see 60,000 people going to Minnesota in March.

What if there is a freak blizzard?

Configurations are likely topping out at 45,000.

Freak blizzard? In March? Nothing freak about it, but I've learned the folks here know how to handle it.

Add me to the list of people who thinks a football stadium in Minnesota is not a good idea. A Football stadium in Philadelphia or New York might fill up-but not Minnesota. The planners of these events need to look at a population density map of the country.