russelscout

U.S. Bank Stadium 2020 NCAA Championships

1 hour ago, Billyhoyle said:

Add me to the list of people who thinks a football stadium in Minnesota is not a good idea. A Football stadium in Philadelphia or New York might fill up-but not Minnesota. The planners of these events need to look at a population density map of the country.

I thought that at first, but the combination of (1) affordability vs. ticket prices in Cleveland and Pittsburgh, and (2) proximity to Iowa and to a lesser extent Wisconsin, will get the crowds there.  

A lot of people in that part of the country haven't been to an NCAA tournament since St. Louis in 2017.  Tickets are going to be affordable.  Iowa will potentially be challenging for their first title in 10 years.  Minnesota will have a good team.  Wisconsin is on the rise.  It's not going to be a sellout, but I don't think we're going to be looking at 10,000 empty seats.  At least I hope not.  

2 hours ago, Billyhoyle said:

Add me to the list of people who thinks a football stadium in Minnesota is not a good idea. A Football stadium in Philadelphia or New York might fill up-but not Minnesota. The planners of these events need to look at a population density map of the country.

I would think they are looking at how many seats have sold as a gauge. Their are not many tickets available for sale, but many of the sections have not been up for sale. Several years back Ford Field in Detroit hosted the NCAA Frozen Four they initial said they were going to use the whole stadium, then it was changed to one end of the stadium sold 37k in tickets. I really hope they don't use the whole stadium. 

6 hours ago, Billyhoyle said:

Bingo.

4 hours ago, steamboat_charlie v2 said:

I thought that at first, but the combination of (1) affordability vs. ticket prices in Cleveland and Pittsburgh, and (2) proximity to Iowa and to a lesser extent Wisconsin, will get the crowds there.  

A lot of people in that part of the country haven't been to an NCAA tournament since St. Louis in 2017.  Tickets are going to be affordable.  Iowa will potentially be challenging for their first title in 10 years.  Minnesota will have a good team.  Wisconsin is on the rise.  It's not going to be a sellout, but I don't think we're going to be looking at 10,000 empty seats.  At least I hope not.  

I’m not opposed to it being in the Midwest at all. I just think if you have it there it might as well be in a basketball stadium. The lack of affordability for the east coast locations is indicative of the high demand for tickets, which suggests that it would be possible to fill a football stadium (although I’m not sure it would be even there). 

55 minutes ago, Fletcher said:

LA, Vegas, New Orleans, New York, repeat

You can go there on your own time. Not that I would mind those places once in awhile. I do believe in rewarding areas that support college wrestling and those 4 really don't (maybe NYC does).  I think in the next 4 hosts, Nashville and Chicago would be great hosts and stop with St. Louis already.  

Edited by Michigan wrestling

Cities still have to make a bid to host the event.

Nashville has SEC Basketball Tournament Conflicts so currently they wouldn’t be able to host due to that contract. They have stated if circumstances changed they would look at pursuing wrestling though.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

On ‎2‎/‎6‎/‎2018 at 9:39 AM, stonerd7 said:

My guess is they do something similar to Syracust basketball in the Carrier dome.  Have all the mats set up in one endzone with some sort of bleacher set up around the 50 yard line

carrier dome.jpg

From what I have gathered the mat set up will be around the 50 yd. line with 2 facing north, 2 south, 2 east and 2 west, with area open in the center.

On 4/24/2019 at 6:58 AM, JasonBryant said:

Configurations are likely topping out at 45,000.

Freak blizzard? In March? Nothing freak about it, but I've learned the folks here know how to handle it.

IMO wrestling should not be held in a football stadium that seats over 60,000 fans.  I understand wanting to showcase the NCAA Wrestling Championships but I personally have zero desire to be seated where I need binoculars to watch three day's of wrestling.  So now after many years of attending the greatest show on earth I am officially announcing that I am tapping out.  NO MAS

12 hours ago, grappler6 said:

Cities still have to make a bid to host the event.

Nashville has SEC Basketball Tournament Conflicts so currently they wouldn’t be able to host due to that contract. They have stated if circumstances changed they would look at pursuing wrestling though.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Is the SEC Mens Basketball Tournament not the week before the NCAA Wrestling Tournament.  The basketball tournament would conclude on Sunday afternoon which would provide ample time to get Bridgestone Arena ready for wrestling.  Now the truth is it may have something to do with the Nashville Predators not wanting to be on the road for two straight weeks.

18 hours ago, Michigan wrestling said:

You can go there on your own time. Not that I would mind those places once in awhile. I do believe in rewarding areas that support college wrestling and those 4 really don't (maybe NYC does).  I think in the next 4 hosts, Nashville and Chicago would be great hosts and stop with St. Louis already.  

Charlotte.  Major airport and arena.  North Carolina has the second most Division 1 wrestling programs after PA. 

30 minutes ago, Sparky said:

Charlotte.  Major airport and arena.  North Carolina has the second most Division 1 wrestling programs after PA. 

Charlotte would be a fine host. I guess Chicago could have the same problem as Nashville then. They host the B10 basketball finals a week before the NCAA finals and with hockey (NHL) and basketball (NBA) they may not want to bid. 

Chicago just makes so much sense but the only indoor venue big enough is the United Center...and with both the Bulls and Blackhawks being in season it’s probably too hard to schedule in March. 

There’s a reason why the tournament is usually held in a stadium that only hosts one pro team that’s in season. Chesapeake, Quicken, scottrade/Enterprise, and PPG are home to either a NBA or NHL team but not both. MSG and upcoming Little Cesar’s are exceptions though.

With the infamous annual Circus trip a thing of the past hopefully the United Center will have some more flexibility for things like this tournament.

1 hour ago, Bryan said:

IMO wrestling should not be held in a football stadium that seats over 60,000 fans.  I understand wanting to showcase the NCAA Wrestling Championships but I personally have zero desire to be seated where I need binoculars to watch three day's of wrestling.  So now after many years of attending the greatest show on earth I am officially announcing that I am tapping out.  NO MAS

I'm sure the NCAA will move the event because Bryan isn't coming.

2 hours ago, silver said:

From what I have gathered the mat set up will be around the 50 yd. line with 2 facing north, 2 south, 2 east and 2 west, with area open in the center.

I read/saw the same thing, but I feel like that article said this particular configuration was still not 100% confirmed.

I have my tickets and am booked.  If we do need to watch via binoculars then this is just another NCAA ****-show so the old white guys can fatten their bonuses. 

My other confusion is how anything here is deemed affordable.  The hotels immediately gouged the fans and doubled their prices compared to the week before and the week after.  My not very regal Marriott suite is $500 a night.  To pay double what you would pay for a similar hotel in NYC to visit forsaken Minnesota in the winter is abjectly inane.  

This all illustrates perfectly the problem with hosting in one-horse towns - greed.  Do this in NYC, LA, Miami, New Orleans, Vegas, Chicago, Philadelphia (bad location), even Pittsburgh and no one notices.   

36 minutes ago, TFBJR said:

I have my tickets and am booked.  If we do need to watch via binoculars then this is just another NCAA ****-show so the old white guys can fatten their bonuses. 

My other confusion is how anything here is deemed affordable.  The hotels immediately gouged the fans and doubled their prices compared to the week before and the week after.  My not very regal Marriott suite is $500 a night.  To pay double what you would pay for a similar hotel in NYC to visit forsaken Minnesota in the winter is abjectly inane.  

This all illustrates perfectly the problem with hosting in one-horse towns - greed.  Do this in NYC, LA, Miami, New Orleans, Vegas, Chicago, Philadelphia (bad location), even Pittsburgh and no one notices.   

There are a million more people in the Minneapolis St. Paul metro area than in the Pittsburgh metro area. My suggestion - book a different hotel. 

16 minutes ago, ptz305 said:

There are a million more people in the Minneapolis St. Paul metro area than in the Pittsburgh metro area. My suggestion - book a different hotel. 

I got a room in Minneapolis for $200 a night, not awful. Cleveland and Pittsburgh got an Airbnb for 200-300 a night (but slept 5-6 people). If you want a deal you have to find it.

The naysayers seem like the same crowd that complained about NYC and how it was going to be a terrible spot because it was too expensive, there was no where to park, you had to stay further away to find places that weren't busy, crime, (insert excuse here) ... et al. 

Basically, if anything is different from the way you like it, you're going to complain. I personally welcome the thousands of first-timers who will then become multi-timers because they have the opportunity to get a ticket and attend this coming season. 

Plus, the food and beer and music scene in Minneapolis is outstanding. If you don't come, then you're going to miss out, and that's on the naysayers, not the venue.