russelscout

U.S. Bank Stadium 2020 NCAA Championships

1 hour ago, JasonBryant said:

You been in the venue? I haven’t so unless you’ve been in there and have seen the schematic from the NCAA, no one, not you, me or anyone on this board, can say with any certainty how far away people will be. That is a completely legit concern, but until something is officially out there and we have a visible situation, you can’t speak in absolutes. I guess I’m just scratching my head on all this as if no one has ever attended a sporting event in a large stadium.

11 hours ago, JasonBryant said:

Some facts for those who believe they know everything. The way I read it, you were doing the same thing you're accusing me of doing. I just see you as part of that "here's why we can't do something" crowd vs. one who is looking for ways for something new to work, and oh I don't know, help the sport longterm. 

To your points ... 

• The last three years, the temperature in MSP has been WARMER on at least two of the three days of the championships in St. Louis, Cleveland and Pittsburgh. Cleveland was the coldest I've been at a championships since Omaha. Trust me, I'm a bit of a weather nerd. My Twitter account pretty much has validated this for several years. I've lived in the Twin Cities for a total of eight years. January and February absolutely SUCK for cold. March, and mid-to-late March may see some snow in the southern part of the state, but the general snowfall totals for March float around 10 inches with most of the snowfall starting to melt by then. Only six times since 1891 has a snowfall of 13 inches or more hit Minnesota in March. This state actually knows how to plow and continue business as usual when snow comes in. It takes a lot to shut down the airport, too. So while it does remain a possibility of snow that weekend, it's not as high as you want it to be. 
  • There will absolutely be visibility problems for some. I think that is overblown when people assume they're going to be in St. Cloud paying the same price they had for lower bowl tickets in the past. There's nothing to validate that claim as yet, if it even exists. If we get 45,000 people to have a positive experience, even if their sightlines aren't what you've been accustomed to, the sport wins. You can go back to being grumpy in your better seats the very next year.  Push. 
  • While I have my personal feelings with how the greater NCAA does things, the improvements the NCAA has made with the wrestling championships over the past decade have made the fan experience better, the live viewing experience better for those watching on ESPN/ESPN3, and working with USAW, the NWCA, etc. to create wrestling-centric events with Fan Fest. The Fan Fest wrestling puts on doesn't quite compare to what the Final Four is, but it's not anything I've heard complaints with over the years. It's there and serves its purpose. My conversations with the NCAA on this explains there is a real effort to have inexpensive seats where fans can bring their kids to an NCAA championship, not about just selling as many high-priced tickets as they can.  Blanketing the larger NCAA as if they "have it out" for the fans in some manner with wrestling is unfounded. The championship experience is so much better now than it was 18 years ago when I started attending. There are some hurdles each venue has, and that will vary from year to year. 

Meet facts and context, something I have more of than you do in this situation. Please don't insult my integrity. 

We seem to be in violent agreement:  

• "Only six times since 1891 has a snowfall of 13 inches or more hit Minnesota in March." - Minny is cold.   Among the coldest cities in America historically.  You can love it - doesn't make it warmer.   
  • "There will absolutely be visibility problems for some. "  -  The seating schematic was provided at Pittsburgh.   At a minimum the front row of the stands (tickets available) at the 50 yard line seat is 40+ yards from center mat.  It goes downhill from there. 
  • "There is a real effort to have inexpensive seats where fans can bring their kids to an NCAA championship, not about just selling as many high-priced tickets as they can".  This is Fonzie on a motorcycle stuff.  The lowest price strip for 3 Final Four games (held in a 100,000) seat venue is $1,000.  Do they not like BBall kids but favor Wrestling scions?  Bet that if demand allows, every Championship going forward that is not yet under contract will be in a football stadium.  Just like BBall went from arenas to stadiums.  The NCAA has proven repeatedly that they have no shame nor morals.   

We're saying the same thing minus the NCAA propaganda.   

Over and out. 

I was at Kinnick for the Iowa vs OSU dual - think there were 40K people there.  It was an unforgettable event and I don't remember a single person complaining about the views, it was great.  I'm not saying it'll match the experience 100% of a smaller venue but goodness gracious can we wait to see how  things pan out before people get up in arms and complain in absolutes about how it isn't going to work?

We need more people to go to NCAAs, we need new blood for NCAAs, we've outgrown the hockey and basketball stadiums, it's become too expensive for many people - this is a one year attempt to see how it goes.  It's absolutely worth doing and trying, I'm looking forward to it... 

I’ve purchased 8 tickets at the 50 yard line, in V7 Row 2. They were $345 a piece which is more than what I paid to attend this years tournament in Pittsburgh which were lower bowl but in the corner. I’ve sat in the same section of seats (lower bowl corner) for the past 7 years courtesy of UTC. The tickets went from $270 to $320 last year in Pittsburgh, which was a nominal amount for me personally & I understood that with less seating in PPG the criminal enterprise that is the NCAA had to make up the monetary difference. 

That said my first thought when seeing the tickets for 2020 being sold around the entire stadium wasn’t how great it will be to have 45k+ fans attending. It was that the NCAA doesn’t ultimately care how good of a fan experience is had, they’re exploring whether or not they can make as much money as possible for this event.  I actually don’t believe that there will be 45k or more in the stadium, I think boat loads of the seats were purchased by scalping entities which the NCAA would’ve also figured when they opened up all sections to the general public via Ticketmaster. The NCAA will make a boat load more profit than previous years & many of the seats purchased will be wide open during the sessions because there will be zero demand to scalp, not that I care if the scalpers and second hand sellers are SOL.

Undoubtedly this will not be a good viewing experience, even from the 50 yard line it will be further to see the action on the mats than ever before. The finals will be the least enjoyable for the majority of the fans in attendance. I will still be in attendance & I will still enjoy the tournament & fan experience. That said I hope that the NCAA will realize the intimacy of the tournament is what keeps the demand so high. Being able to see all of the action whether you’re in the corner or nose bleed seats is paramount to any other consideration. Otherwise you might as well watch at home on ESPN with a group of friends/fans and save a ton of money. 

As for the talk about the food & beer & other activities that Minneapolis will have on show, please be serious, who gives a flying f. The majority of the fans in attendance are drinking bud light, bud heavy, miller, coors, etc. & eating burgers & wings. This isn’t the crowd for 5 star restaurants & scotch tastings. Any city that can accommodate a surge of 25k in population over the course of 4/5 days and not miss a beat is a perfect host city. The major US cities that have multiple airports, a plethora of hotel options, and public transit make the cut. 

I live in NYC & have to say I didn’t love it at MSG, maybe that’s because I didn’t get to travel, but the overwhelming majority thought it was an amazing location for many of the reasons I stated. They could fly into 3 airports, there weren’t massive lines for food & drink between sessions because there is a million places to eat & drink, the hotel prices are high but they’re always high & don’t need to inflate them for a particular event. 

For what it’s worth I hope the tournament is a massive success & we’re all massively surprised. But for this guy the priority is proximity to the action happening on the mat & this venue isn’t going to deliver on that end.

Edited by CrewWrestling

8 minutes ago, Gantry said:

I was at Kinnick for the Iowa vs OSU dual - think there were 40K people there.  It was an unforgettable event and I don't remember a single person complaining about the views, it was great.  I'm not saying it'll match the experience 100% of a smaller venue but goodness gracious can we wait to see how  things pan out before people get up in arms and complain in absolutes about how it isn't going to work?

We need more people to go to NCAAs, we need new blood for NCAAs, we've outgrown the hockey and basketball stadiums, it's become too expensive for many people - this is a one year attempt to see how it goes.  It's absolutely worth doing and trying, I'm looking forward to it... 

But wasn't the mat set up in the proper way for that type of stadium -- on one end of the field? Such that seats are closer and topping out attendance around 40K?  

When I heard that they were going with a football stadium I wasn't crazy about it, but assumed they would use the Iowa setup.  You know, because that's the one successful experience the sport has had with this. 

I was in disbelief when I saw that they are not doing it this way.  I apparently had forgotten this was being run by the NCAA.  

10 minutes ago, drag it said:

When I heard that they were going with a football stadium I wasn't crazy about it, but assumed they would use the Iowa setup.  You know, because that's the one successful experience the sport has had with this. 

You say that as if there were countless failed attempts at the way they are doing it.  Which I don't think there are...  I am not a stadium seating expert but my overall point is that we are  trying something new and different.  It's an experiment and some aspects of it may not work.  But again, there is a bunch of dismissal and negatively and speaking in absolutes for failure about something that hasn't been done before.  That's the crux of my point, wait and see and/or give constructive criticism without acting like we can know for sure about something that hasn't been done yet. 

37 minutes ago, Gantry said:

You say that as if there were countless failed attempts at the way they are doing it.  Which I don't think there are...  I am not a stadium seating expert but my overall point is that we are  trying something new and different.  It's an experiment and some aspects of it may not work.  But again, there is a bunch of dismissal and negatively and speaking in absolutes for failure about something that hasn't been done before.  That's the crux of my point, wait and see and/or give constructive criticism without acting like we can know for sure about something that hasn't been done yet. 

I  thought my post represented balanced and constructive criticism, although you couldn't tell from your quote to mine, which left out the part where I complimented Iowa and said that although a dome wasn't my preference I thought that the Iowa approach could make it work.  

7 hours ago, CrewWrestling said:

As for the talk about the food & beer & other activities that Minneapolis will have on show, please be serious, who gives a flying f. The majority of the fans in attendance are drinking bud light, bud heavy, miller, coors, etc. & eating burgers & wings. This isn’t the crowd for 5 star restaurants & scotch tastings. Any city that can accommodate a surge of 25k in population over the course of 4/5 days and not miss a beat is a perfect host city. The major US cities that have multiple airports, a plethora of hotel options, and public transit make the cut. 

I'm not a 5-star restaurant guy. I'm a beer guy. I'm a music guy. I'm a bar guy. All the things I was talking about are specific to my experiences attending the last 18 NCAA Championships. I'm not pitching fine dining, but there are some killer eateries and breweries in close proximity to U.S. Bank Stadium, better than many of the spots we've been to over the past two decades. We're blue collar and we embrace it. You want burgers, beers and wings? MPLS has you covered. I'm a transplant and a creature of habit. I'm more than happy for B-Dubs, it's like the official restaurant of wrestling tournaments. I was more than content with Lagers and Primanti's in Pittsburgh. Who the heck wants a scotch tasting at NCAAs? That's something I've literally NEVER heard brought up in the history of the world. 

For those who have never been here and fear the worst. Yeah, the fears have been exaggerated. But again, I live there now, so I've seen how awesome MPLS downtown is for everything wrestling fans would want. 

2 hours ago, JasonBryant said:

I'm not a 5-star restaurant guy. I'm a beer guy. I'm a music guy. I'm a bar guy. All the things I was talking about are specific to my experiences attending the last 18 NCAA Championships. I'm not pitching fine dining, but there are some killer eateries and breweries in close proximity to U.S. Bank Stadium, better than many of the spots we've been to over the past two decades. We're blue collar and we embrace it. You want burgers, beers and wings? MPLS has you covered. I'm a transplant and a creature of habit. I'm more than happy for B-Dubs, it's like the official restaurant of wrestling tournaments. I was more than content with Lagers and Primanti's in Pittsburgh. Who the heck wants a scotch tasting at NCAAs? That's something I've literally NEVER heard brought up in the history of the world. 

For those who have never been here and fear the worst. Yeah, the fears have been exaggerated. But again, I live there now, so I've seen how awesome MPLS downtown is for everything wrestling fans would want. 

I think it is great to have events in different parts of the country. I like that when the event is in Minnesota or St. Louis, tickets are cheap and easy to get. But shouldn't the year they try to fill a football stadium be one where it is held in an area surrounded by a decent sized population?  Not a bunch of empty land?

Hmm.  I guess this may not be possible because there aren't indoor football stadiums in the northeast.  

Edited by Billyhoyle

8 hours ago, JasonBryant said:

I mean, Twin Cities metro area has a greater population than St. Louis metro area... slightly longer drive than from Chicago. It really is baffling how little some of you people know about Minnesota and the Twin Cities in general.

Fans will like  downtown it has everything you need.So many people have never been they just expect it to suck so those people will probably bitch anyway.But the people who are going with a open mind will enjoy it

8 hours ago, JasonBryant said:

I mean, Twin Cities metro area has a greater population than St. Louis metro area... slightly longer drive than from Chicago. It really is baffling how little some of you people know about Minnesota and the Twin Cities in general.

I would be thrilled to take on the Twin Cities, never been there , as i never had been to Pittsburgh. I'm not the typical fan I guess, for example. I do like the nice ethnic restaurants 1-5 stars and local hang outs as well. And Friday between sessions, in Pittsburgh, the three of us hired a personal tour guide, a 60 something year old son of the city, and he showed and told us  about the towns past and present for two and a half hours. $40 ea. well spent, and we still had time for Bloody Marys and smoked salmon, and mussels  at a Strip district restaurant before the evening session. We did things between every session there. And also when we went to St. Louis.  No doubt Minneapolis would be fun. Ultimately I'go for one reason and It is to watch wrestling and I do get good seats. Personally im not a dome man, I've seen several basketball games in different venues with  so called "good seats", .and in the late 80's I said no more, if it ain't football I'm out. I hope it gets back there within the next few years in a quaint 20,000 people venue. I'm in.

12 hours ago, JasonBryant said:

It really is baffling how little some of you people know about Minnesota and the Twin Cities in general.

I feel the same way about CBUS.  There is a lot to do with a huge variety of  eats, from authentic 'all American' to vegan.  Diverse culturally, with great arts, music, bar scenes and easily navigable.

But to be fair, folks aren't coming to CBUS or the Twin Cities for holiday or vacation getaways, so there really isn't any reason for folks not to be ignorant about those locations.  Although if I knew anything I'd be rich.

6 hours ago, Mphillips said:

I feel the same way about CBUS.  There is a lot to do with a huge variety of  eats, from authentic 'all American' to vegan.  Diverse culturally, with great arts, music, bar scenes and easily navigable.

But to be fair, folks aren't coming to CBUS or the Twin Cities for holiday or vacation getaways, so there really isn't any reason for folks not to be ignorant about those locations.  Although if I knew anything I'd be rich.

The area near Nationwide Arena is really easy to walk around with plenty to do, as you mentioned. Many parking garages along the route to park before getting to that area. It's really an under appreciated city to visit. Really enjoyed getting to spend a couple days there this past year