russelscout

U.S. Bank Stadium 2020 NCAA Championships

12 minutes ago, JasonBryant said:

The naysayers seem like the same crowd that complained about NYC and how it was going to be a terrible spot because it was too expensive, there was no where to park, you had to stay further away to find places that weren't busy, crime, (insert excuse here) ... et al. 

Basically, if anything is different from the way you like it, you're going to complain. I personally welcome the thousands of first-timers who will then become multi-timers because they have the opportunity to get a ticket and attend this coming season. 

Plus, the food and beer and music scene in Minneapolis is outstanding. If you don't come, then you're going to miss out, and that's on the naysayers, not the venue. 

I thought NYC was a great idea. Cleveland was a great idea.  Pittsburgh was a great idea.  I think a basketball stadium in Minnesota would be a good idea.  A football stadium in Minnesota is not a good idea though.  

15 minutes ago, Billyhoyle said:

I thought NYC was a great idea. Cleveland was a great idea.  Pittsburgh was a great idea.  I think a basketball stadium in Minnesota would be a good idea.  A football stadium in Minnesota is not a good idea though.  

I'll check back on this thread in March of 2020 after the sport sees the high attendance for its championships like it's never seen before. 

If it's never been done before, it must not be a good idea. That's wrestling's mantra. 

10 hours ago, Michigan wrestling said:

Charlotte would be a fine host. I guess Chicago could have the same problem as Nashville then. They host the B10 basketball finals a week before the NCAA finals and with hockey (NHL) and basketball (NBA) they may not want to bid. 

I think Big 10 basketball is in Indy every other year (according to internet it is Indy in 2020 and 2022, Chicago in 2021, so in theory Chicago would be viable. 

And it would make a lot of sense. Perfect in terms of geography and transportation. And the arena has significantly more seating capacity -- about 22K for hockey -- than the other winter sport arenas.  

My sense from what I know about Minneapolis isn't positive.  I was very surprised to learn that as I understand it they are using seats in a 360 around the football field. 

It seemed like the way to do it was similar to the way I remember the Iowa football field configuration -- with the mays on one end of the football field.  That seemed like it worked well they nearly tripled the Carver Hawkeye seating capacity.

40K+ would seem like more than enough to open the event to first timers. And query the degree to which that is a significant issue anyway, since scalpers even in Pittsburgh were down near face value as session times approached. 

I acknowledge that I don't know for sure how the mats will be set up (sounds like NCAA doesn't either, which I don't find particularly encouraging), and also don't know all the relevant measurements and how they compare to Iowa, but at first blush I'm having a very hard time believing that fans in the lower bowl end zone seats are going to be able to recognize the action going down on the mays.  

And furthermore, I believe the big video boards are in the end zones, which as I understand it won't be of much help for the people who need it most -- the people in the end zones. In other words, you would be 150 yards from the video board facing you or would have to turn your back to the mats to see the one close to you. I believe they don't have a center video board like Dallas does -- and like the basketball arenas do.

These are mostly educated guesses and I hope I'm wrong, but unless I missed It, everyone has bought their tickets with at this point a vacuum on basic information about the setup.

That doesn't seem to me to be a situation whereby criticism and questioning equate to whining.  Unless you have blind confidence in the competence of the NCAA.  Let's see a show of hands on that question. 

The naysayers seem like the same crowd that complained about NYC and how it was going to be a terrible spot because it was too expensive, there was no where to park, you had to stay further away to find places that weren't busy, crime, (insert excuse here) ... et al. 
Basically, if anything is different from the way you like it, you're going to complain. I personally welcome the thousands of first-timers who will then become multi-timers because they have the opportunity to get a ticket and attend this coming season. 
Plus, the food and beer and music scene in Minneapolis is outstanding. If you don't come, then you're going to miss out, and that's on the naysayers, not the venue. 
It's one of the best states, if not the best state for ice fishing. Rent a shack and get into some perch or walleyes. :)

Sent from my XT1254 using Tapatalk

Judging by the posters in this thread, we have two kinds of people in here:

1) Those that have been to Minneapolis and know how awesome it is.

2) Those that haven't been. 

Sounds like a bunch of NBA players. 

11 hours ago, JasonBryant said:

I'll check back on this thread in March of 2020 after the sport sees the high attendance for its championships like it's never seen before. 

If it's never been done before, it must not be a good idea. That's wrestling's mantra. 

Attendance will be good, no doubt. But I can't buy the mantra about first timers," that for the first time they will be able to attend, or get tickets." Most go when they want to for the championships. And to top it all off, in a dome football field, unless you are sitting in the first 5-10 rows from the action, you will be disappointed in the low visibility. It will be no different than watching a basketball game in a football arena, you get so removed from the action that you feel you should have stayed home and watched it on TV. For me, I will introduce first timers to the more quaint surroundings of a Pittsburgh, St. Louis, Cleveland atmosphere, where any place you sit in the lower bowl is pretty close to the action. But there's something to be said about being able to say , I was at the 2020 championship.

1 hour ago, southend said:

Attendance will be good, no doubt. But I can't buy the mantra about first timers," that for the first time they will be able to attend, or get tickets." Most go when they want to for the championships. And to top it all off, in a dome football field, unless you are sitting in the first 5-10 rows from the action, you will be disappointed in the low visibility. It will be no different than watching a basketball game in a football arena, you get so removed from the action that you feel you should have stayed home and watched it on TV. For me, I will introduce first timers to the more quaint surroundings of a Pittsburgh, St. Louis, Cleveland atmosphere, where any place you sit in the lower bowl is pretty close to the action. But there's something to be said about being able to say , I was at the 2020 championship.

I think you misinterpret what I'm saying. Right now, if you've never been to the NCAA Championships, you have to make a hefty financial investment just to acquire tickets. That doesn't even take into consideration hotel, flights, transportation (to ANY venue/location). The ticket price issue wasn't the case back in the day when many of our longtime fans started going to the event and had access, maybe because a lot of them were on college campuses and it was affordable for students to go to a championship. The pricing structure as it stands right now, basically eliminates a lot of potential younger fans due to the always sold out aspect of the event. It's a popular ticket, because once you go, you always want to go. This has created somewhat of a barrier to opening the doors to fans in their mid-20's and 30's from broader portions of the fanbase. 

So much of the weekend is the camaraderie and social element. You go to the session, watch your team, and get after it between sessions. The longevity of our sports' fanbase is going to be reliant on fans who finally get to go to the event. Giving 20,000 more fans that "We've gotta go every year" mindset is a way of keeping the fanbase strong and vibrant. The 2020 situation is actually going to allow a family of four to go to the event and not have to spend a month's pay doing it. Having a few thousand middle school and high school-aged kids in the stands is something that wouldn't be able to happen. That's a real option now (word is, there will be inexpensive single session tickets in the upper levels, like $20 inexpensive). Just getting first timers in the door means you have a better chance of getting them as second, third ... and eventually, 35-and-40-timers. 

I think a lot of folks are missing the impact something like this can have on the sport longterm. 

16 hours ago, JasonBryant said:

Says who??  Do we know how many tickets are being sold?  How far the seats are from the center mat?  If a blizzard is going to destroy access / egress to arguably the most miserable secondary city in the US at that time of year?  No - we do not.  Those are all venue related items.   What we do know is that they are expanding the venue to larger than any venue EVER to host a wrestling match on the planet Earth.  We know the food and beer is not measurably better than any other of the suggested cities - and nowhere near what you will find in NOLA, NYC, Vegas, Chicago, Charlotte to name a few (Manny's is a great steakhouse, albeit expensive).   I thought the Pittsburgh food and beer were terrific, as an aside.   Anyone being paid by the NCAA can't be considered remotely non-biased - even if the pronouncement is in the declarative.   Time will tell, but current facts are troubling and temper enthusiasm.  

Edited by TFBJR

In 2021 it is back at St. Louis and then 2022 in Detroit--both venues are the typical arena setup. 

Why don't we see hot it works at the football stadium before we claim doom and gloom?

It isn't like the NCAAs are locked into the next five years of  new venue setup. 

1 hour ago, JasonBryant said:

You go to the session, watch your team, and get after it between sessions..........That's a real option now (word is, there will be inexpensive single session tickets in the upper levels, like $20 inexpensive).

I enjoy mingling in the bars before/after sessions ALMOST as much as the actual event.....and if they do $20 upper level, there is no reason for anyone to complain.

16 hours ago, JasonBryant said:

I disagree with your theory that most wrestling fans feel that if it's never been done before it must not be a good idea.  While I do disagree, it's because I feel the sight lines and the distance many of the individual fans will be from the mat will takeaway from the fan experience.  Yes, it will be great exposure for wrestling to compete in front of 60K+ fans but I personally like the idea of being close enough to the mat that I am not required to use binoculars.  If I am wrong and I truly hope that is the case I will be the first to step up and say I was wrong but I have watched basketball in dome stadiums and it's not a good fan experience.  

56 minutes ago, TFBJR said:

We know the food and beer is not measurably better than any other of the suggested cities - and nowhere near what you will find in NOLA, NYC, Vegas, Chicago, Charlotte to name a few (Manny's is a great steakhouse, albeit expensive).   I thought the Pittsburgh food and beer were terrific, as an aside.  

The food and beer scene, especially food, in Minneapolis/St Paul is infinitely better than Pittsburgh, Philly, Charlotte, Cleveland, and StL. Not sure why you’d use Manny’s as a reference. They’re an old mediocre overpriced steakhouse.

As for the stadium itself, obviously it’s not going to be the best viewing experience for those with cheaper tickets and I think it would be better if they just used 1/2 or 2/3 of it, but I think it’s a good idea. The sport needs to try new things and take occasional risks in order to grow. Maybe people can use the hundreds/thousands they save on tickets next year compared to this year and check out some of the good restaurants.

4 minutes ago, simple said:

The food and beer scene, especially food, in Minneapolis/St Paul is infinitely better than Pittsburgh, Philly, Charlotte, Cleveland, and StL. Not sure why you’d use Manny’s as a reference. They’re an old mediocre overpriced steakhouse.

As for the stadium itself, obviously it’s not going to be the best viewing experience for those with cheaper tickets and I think it would be better if they just used 1/2 or 2/3 of it, but I think it’s a good idea. The sport needs to try new things and take occasional risks in order to grow. Maybe people can use the hundreds/thousands they save on tickets next year compared to this year and check out some of the good restaurants.

Debatable I guess, but when I show up to Manny's with 20+ people they make us feel well-taken care of - great service by the old guard with a fat bill for the effort of course.  The high-end places in Pittsburgh were damn good.  I had the tomahawk in M&P with a few of the best Rye Manhattans ever.  Butcher in the Rye NY strip steak was excellent. To each his own.  Philly has good food but hit or miss if you don't come from here, and definitely too spread out and too far from the venue.  Charlotte has good southern food at a reasonable price.   You can always find good food in any of these cities of you try.   

Sitting in seat #45,000 is an experience that won't be good - especially for the old codgers (like myself) that attend NCAAs.  And to think anyone is wandering around Minnesota and debating going into the stadium based on a $20 vs. $50 ticket is laughable.  This is about the geezers at the NCAA selling more tickets at the expense of the product.  Maybe the Rose Bowl next year?  Pasadena is at least inhabitable in March.  

Lastly, and then I am out, who is saving hundreds or thousands of dollars?  No one that is buying direct from the NCAA.  So are we talking about the people who scalp?  Do we really thing the boxes are going to scalp cheaper?  The seats up close?  The only savings is if you are willing to get a bloody nose to save $30.  I don't see a nickel in savings opportunity on any of this - maybe I am missing something? 

3 minutes ago, TFBJR said:

Lastly, and then I am out, who is saving hundreds or thousands of dollars?  No one that is buying direct from the NCAA.  So are we talking about the people who scalp?  Do we really thing the boxes are going to scalp cheaper?  The seats up close?  The only savings is if you are willing to get a bloody nose to save $30.  I don't see a nickel in savings opportunity on any of this - maybe I am missing something? 

The people who weren’t able to get tickets through their usual outlets because of limited availability so they had to get them for outrageous prices through resellers.

On 2/6/2018 at 11:22 AM, russelscout said:

I don't know if this has been discussed here or not, but in 2020 the NCAA Championships will be held at the home of the Minnesota Vikings. The capacity is 66,700 people. Will this fill to capacity?

Nope.

6 minutes ago, simple said:

The people who weren’t able to get tickets through their usual outlets because of limited availability so they had to get them for outrageous prices through resellers.

Demand is static; the lower 15,000 dynamics will remain constant.  Hungry folks will scalp; the others will now buy bad tickets in the sky.  Net result is more money to NCAA.   No relief for anyone that wants a box or a near seat.    

Glad you believe my integrity is in question because I get a check from the NCAA twice a year that amounts to less than I make from one of my podcast clients. I get paid the same no matter the location. I don’t get any extra for being an advocate for the ENTIRE sport of wrestling.

I’ve been to the last 18 NCAA Championships, but somehow, because I’ve been paid to announce the last four, you’re going to dismiss my opinion.

This is why we can’t have nice things ...

2 hours ago, JasonBryant said:

Glad you believe my integrity is in question because I get a check from the NCAA twice a year that amounts to less than I make from one of my podcast clients. I get paid the same no matter the location. I don’t get any extra for being an advocate for the ENTIRE sport of wrestling.

I’ve been to the last 18 NCAA Championships, but somehow, because I’ve been paid to announce the last four, you’re going to dismiss my opinion.

This is why we can’t have nice things ...

That was an opinion??  Seemed like you were castigating the unwashed for not being enlightened.   My error. 

Construct an opinion around well-considered facts and you might not come off as a scold. 

• Minnesota - Paragon of cold weather in the United States
  • Wrestling tournament in the largest venue ever - May be rough for visibility
  • NCAA - Revenue driven, limited regard for fans

Not sure why you can't have nice things.  Be nicer perhaps?  Free advice - worth the price.   

Some facts for those who believe they know everything. The way I read it, you were doing the same thing you're accusing me of doing. I just see you as part of that "here's why we can't do something" crowd vs. one who is looking for ways for something new to work, and oh I don't know, help the sport longterm. 

To your points ... 

• The last three years, the temperature in MSP has been WARMER on at least two of the three days of the championships in St. Louis, Cleveland and Pittsburgh. Cleveland was the coldest I've been at a championships since Omaha. Trust me, I'm a bit of a weather nerd. My Twitter account pretty much has validated this for several years. I've lived in the Twin Cities for a total of eight years. January and February absolutely SUCK for cold. March, and mid-to-late March may see some snow in the southern part of the state, but the general snowfall totals for March float around 10 inches with most of the snowfall starting to melt by then. Only six times since 1891 has a snowfall of 13 inches or more hit Minnesota in March. This state actually knows how to plow and continue business as usual when snow comes in. It takes a lot to shut down the airport, too. So while it does remain a possibility of snow that weekend, it's not as high as you want it to be. 
  • There will absolutely be visibility problems for some. I think that is overblown when people assume they're going to be in St. Cloud paying the same price they had for lower bowl tickets in the past. There's nothing to validate that claim as yet, if it even exists. If we get 45,000 people to have a positive experience, even if their sightlines aren't what you've been accustomed to, the sport wins. You can go back to being grumpy in your better seats the very next year.  Push. 
  • While I have my personal feelings with how the greater NCAA does things, the improvements the NCAA has made with the wrestling championships over the past decade have made the fan experience better, the live viewing experience better for those watching on ESPN/ESPN3, and working with USAW, the NWCA, etc. to create wrestling-centric events with Fan Fest. The Fan Fest wrestling puts on doesn't quite compare to what the Final Four is, but it's not anything I've heard complaints with over the years. It's there and serves its purpose. My conversations with the NCAA on this explains there is a real effort to have inexpensive seats where fans can bring their kids to an NCAA championship, not about just selling as many high-priced tickets as they can.  Blanketing the larger NCAA as if they "have it out" for the fans in some manner with wrestling is unfounded. The championship experience is so much better now than it was 18 years ago when I started attending. There are some hurdles each venue has, and that will vary from year to year. 

Meet facts and context, something I have more of than you do in this situation. Please don't insult my integrity. 

8 hours ago, TFBJR said:

Demand is static; the lower 15,000 dynamics will remain constant.  Hungry folks will scalp; the others will now buy bad tickets in the sky.  Net result is more money to NCAA.   No relief for anyone that wants a box or a near seat.    

Lol at wanting relief for people who pay for boxes

• There will absolutely be visibility problems for some. I think that is overblown when people assume they're going to be in St. Cloud paying the same price they had for lower bowl tickets in the past. There's nothing to validate that claim as yet, if it even exists. If we get 45,000 people to have a positive experience, even if their sightlines aren't what you've been accustomed to, the sport wins. You can go back to being grumpy in your better seats the very next year.  Push. 

• The problem is that *everyone* will have visibility problems because every seat will be really far from the mats. Most seats will be so far away that it will be impossible to see what's going on, and you can forget about seeing the scoreboard. I paid $310 for a lower bowl seat (and other tickets I missed out on were more expensive) that will be well over 100 yards away from some of the mats if the predicted configuration is used.

You been in the venue? I haven’t so unless you’ve been in there and have seen the schematic from the NCAA, no one, not you, me or anyone on this board, can say with any certainty how far away people will be. That is a completely legit concern, but until something is officially out there and we have a visible situation, you can’t speak in absolutes. I guess I’m just scratching my head on all this as if no one has ever attended a sporting event in a large stadium.