Sign in to follow this  
NJDan

Lame speech, no wonder they lost

33% of the people that actively participate on this forum are D***'s. 

33% of the people that actively participate on this forum are failed journalists that continue to have a penchant for writing, but to this day, have no audience

33% of the people that actively participate on this forum truly give a crap about what is going on in the world of wrestling, are actual fans of the sport, and are not confounded by their own ego and/or homerism, and truly want to have an engaging dialogue.  

Note:  And... (see if you get the veiled reference)... 101.4% of wrestlers that wear black singlets are @$$#####'s.  

Edited by treep2000

Pregame speeches are like sprinkles on doughnuts. They may look nice at first, but they usually leave a bad taste in your mouth.

Good coaches tell their team what they are going to do an how they are going to do it. Save the motivating for practice.

33% of the people that actively participate on this forum are failed journalists that continue to have a penchant for writing, but to this day, have no audience

33% of the people that actively participate on this forum truly give a crap about what is going on in the world of wrestling, are actual fans of the sport, and are not confounded by their own ego and/or homerism, and truly want to have an engaging dialogue.  

Note:  And... (see if you get the veiled reference)... 101.4% of wrestlers that wear black singlets are @$$#####'s.  

And what about the remaining 67%?

And what about the remaining 67%?

33% + 33% + 33% = 99%.  If you want to be stickler, then the question is what about the last 1%.  Well... they have more money than all of us combined, so they can do whatever they want I suppose, and probably are not on this forum, since they're too busy counting their coin.

33% + 33% + 33% = 99%. If you want to be stickler, then the question is what about the last 1%. Well... they have more money than all of us combined, so they can do whatever they want I suppose, and probably are not on this forum, since they're too busy counting their coin.

I'm in the 1%.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

Note: And... (see if you get the veiled reference)... 101.4% of wrestlers that wear black singlets are @$$#####'s.

Agree. Homerism belongs on your favorite teams forum and Twitter and gets old here.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

... team pre-match speech protocol- - - everyone seated, no distractions i.e. eating, drinking, tying or untying shoes, etc.- eye contact with the entire group-  3 to 4 minutes max- -  start low and slow, build to a strong finish, end with a huddle of some nature- -  works at any level in any sport ......

33% + 33% + 33% = 99%.  If you want to be stickler, then the question is what about the last 1%.  Well... they have more money than all of us combined, so they can do whatever they want I suppose, and probably are not on this forum, since they're too busy counting their coin.

Not if those groups overlap. Just sayin'.

... team pre-match speech protocol- - - everyone seated, no distractions i.e. eating, drinking, tying or untying shoes, etc.- eye contact with the entire group-  3 to 4 minutes max- -  start low and slow, build to a strong finish, end with a huddle of some nature- -  works at any level in any sport ......

strong finish is the hard part. 

Then what's the purpose of ANY professional sports team coach/manager? Why have a Tommy Lasorda, Bill Belicheck, or Pat Riley?

Clearly, there is zero need for LeBron to fire up his teammates, or vice versa in front of 30,000 in the stands, and 30 million watching during the NBA Finals.

Your argument is lost on anyone with half a brainstem.

It’s obvious that your capacity to cognitively interpret the message is minimal. My hunch is you need someone to fire you up each morning. Gable, Sanderson, Dake, Rutherford, just to mention a few, didn’t need someone “psyching” them up. It’s also clear that you have never been around world class athletes or championship teams.

Eat some buttered popcorn and wash it down with a Diet Coke. You’ll enjoy the experience. 🤡

It’s obvious that your capacity to cognitively interpret the message is minimal. My hunch is you need someone to fire you up each morning. Gable, Sanderson, Dake, Rutherford, just to mention a few, didn’t need someone “psyching” them up. It’s also clear that you have never been around world class athletes or championship teams.

Eat some buttered popcorn and wash it down with a Diet Coke. You’ll enjoy the experience.

Nick Saban gives a speech before literally every game. I am sure he knows a thing or two about being around and motivating world class athletes and championship teams. Maybe you are saying wrestlers don't need it, however Gable in his book "Coaching Wrestling Successfully" seems to think they can be a valuable tool.

Edited by Au165

Its hard to motivate guys in that way - especially when you feel like you "need" to. The best speeches in situations like that come unexpectedly. Like someone pointed out - nothing needed to be said to those guys probably, with as elite a team as they are. I think the Bucks will be alright - but this dual was hard to watch, hard to swallow. 

All teams and all individuals are different.  For some, a motivational talk gets them fired up and focused. Others just need to be left alone to take care of their business.  The outstanding coach figures out what the needs are and he acts accordingly.  Coaches who use a one-size-fits-all rarely max out the performance of their athletes.

All teams and all individuals are different.  For some, a motivational talk gets them fired up and focused. Others just need to be left alone to take care of their business.  The outstanding coach figures out what the needs are and he acts accordingly.  Coaches who use a one-size-fits-all rarely max out the performance of their athletes.

That speech didn't get them fired up. The proof is the film. They are not fired up while or immediately after listening to that poem/speech. 

Eat some buttered popcorn and wash it down with a Diet Coke. You’ll enjoy the experience.

...what the heL7 is this response!!....

That speech didn't get them fired up. The proof is the film. They are not fired up while or immediately after listening to that poem/speech. 

Was my thought too.  The whole "dark places" thing was creepy and, to me, out of touch.  They weren't facing a firing squad or death march.  Just seemed to bring down the whole mood and energy level.

Nick Saban gives a speech before literally every game. I am sure he knows a thing or two about being around and motivating world class athletes and championship teams. Maybe you are saying wrestlers don't need it, however Gable in his book "Coaching Wrestling Successfully" seems to think they can be a valuable tool.

Most coaches do it because they think they must. It’s part of the culture of sport. My main point was that Ohio State didn’t lose because Ryan’s speech was a dud. For sure some speeches are better than others. Remember, “win this for the Gipper!” Anyway, guys that have made wrestling almost a full time job and have dedicated themselves to getting a spot on the podium shouldn’t need any pep talk to be the best that they can be!

Edited by gowrestle

Most coaches do it because they think they must. It’s part of the culture of sport. My main point was that Ohio State didn’t lose because Ryan’s speech was a dud. For sure some speeches are better than others. Remember, “win this for the Gipper!” Anyway, guys that have made wrestling almost a full time job and have dedicated themselves to getting a spot on the podium shouldn’t need any pep talk to be the best that they can be!

I'm not arguing the speech was good, it wasn't, I am pointing out that very successful coaches believe there is value in them contrary to you saying that those around winning traditions don't do them. To say that some of the greatest coaches in the world in various sports only do them because they think they must is comical, Nick Saban isn't doing anything he doesn't think has value because frankly he doesn't "Have to" do anything.

Edited by Au165

I'm not arguing the speech was good, it wasn't, I am pointing out that very successful coaches believe there is value in them contrary to you saying that those around winning traditions don't do them. To say that some of the greatest coaches in the world in various sports only do them because they think they must is comical, Nick Saban isn't doing anything he doesn't think has value because frankly he doesn't "Have to" do anything.

LOL

I think the difference is Sabah is a football coach. Football is much more of a "ra ra" type sport. They feel the need to get hyped up before the game and a speech can certainly help with that. Wrestling is a sport where if you let your emotions get too high it can be determental.

I know I am coming late to this party but I didn't think it was so bad?   First off they made it very clear that they love the team  and the guys, no matter what.  I don't know if you know this but not all coaches say that or feel that way.  In fact some treat kids like crap and there is absolutely no feeling of team or support, to say nothing about love!.  Speeches, some good, some bad, Ive heard a lot worse.