Sign in to follow this  
Kentucky_Mudflap

Iowa Wrestling Next Steps from Mudflap

Taylor was still in high school when Sanderson left ISU so that would be in the same category as a Teasdale (albeit much later than GT).

He did have the benefit of returning All Americans in Molinaro and Wright though and the Altons and Ruth were not Sanderson recruits.

It would've been interesting to where Megaludis would've gone if Sanderson did not go to PSU because I still see a guy like Nico still going there.  If Sunderland stayed and landed Nico, PSU was still going to be darn good.

Taylor was still in high school when Sanderson left ISU so that would be in the same category as a Teasdale (albeit much later than GT).

He did have the benefit of returning All Americans in Molinaro and Wright though and the Altons and Ruth were not Sanderson recruits.

It would've been interesting to where Megaludis would've gone if Sanderson did not go to PSU because I still see a guy like Nico still going there.  If Sunderland stayed and landed Nico, PSU was still going to be darn good.

Imagine if Brands had stayed at VT and did not bring over all those transfers. Would Tech be in a better place than it is now?

That would start an interesting topic of discussion..... If Brands chose to stay at Tech, would guys like Tom Ryan, Kevin Dresser, etc. been considered for the Iowa job then?

Imagine if Brands had stayed at VT and did not bring over all those transfers. Would Tech be in a better place than it is now?

That would start an interesting topic of discussion..... If Brands chose to stay at Tech, would guys like Tom Ryan, Kevin Dresser, etc. been considered for the Iowa job then?

No way on Dresser.  He was a HS coach in Virginia.  You're not going from that to HC at Iowa.

He never wrestled for or attended school at Iowa State. If you never actually step foot on campus or attend class, you are not a transfer. Is Renteria an Iowa transfer wrestling for Nebraska? Will Teasdale be an Iowa transfer at PSU? Is Chance Marsteller a PSU transfer at Lock Haven? No.

I could be wrong but Taylor signed a letter of intent with ISU, none of those that you mentioned signed a letter of intent with the first school that they committed to.

that was interesting time in College wrestling. At the time the Iowa, Iowa State, and Ohio State jobs were vacant after the first hire it was a domino affect

He never wrestled for or attended school at Iowa State. If you never actually step foot on campus or attend class, you are not a transfer. Is Renteria an Iowa transfer wrestling for Nebraska? Will Teasdale be an Iowa transfer at PSU? Is Chance Marsteller a PSU transfer at Lock Haven? No. 

I could be wrong but Taylor signed a letter of intent with ISU, none of those that you mentioned signed a letter of intent with the first school that they committed to.

you’re correct he had to ask Kevin Jackson for a release from his NLI

True enough on the two latter points - but superbowlhomeboy is still correct.  Taylor never attended Iowa State and therefore couldn't  transfer from there to another institution.  Besides, an NLI release is usually pro forma in such cases as redshirting during one's freshman year effectively obviates the penalty.  So, even if the release had been denied, it wouldn't have impacted Taylor's career at Penn State  - as Sanderson always planned on redshirting him his first year anyway.

I don’t believe Taylor could have gotten any scholarship money during that first year had he not been released from his LOI.

My understanding is that the only penalty is the loss of a year of eligibility (in all sports) and the requirement to spend one year in residence at the next institution.  So, as previously mentioned, redshirting during one's true freshman year effectively satisfies the penalty. 

And, during that redshirt year, the athlete can still practice with the team and receive athletics aid (i.e. scholarship money) - at least according to several sources I've seen.  For example, see the 3rd FAQ at the below site:

http://www.nationalletter.org/frequentlyAskedQuestions/nliPenalty.html