Sign in to follow this  
Idaho

Weight Cutting Horror Stories

I once got so thirsty I made an entire pitcher of Kool-Aid - Cherry. I drank the entire pitcher. I let it sit for a few minutes enjoying the moment as it coated my insides with sugar and fluid. I then proceeded to take the same pitcher to the bathroom and throw-up all of the Kool aid back in to the pitcher to make sure I got it all out. I did get it all out and believe it or not, my insides did feel much better for it. The scary part was that it looked almost as clean back in the pitcher as it did before I drank it. 

*Although stories are true, they are in no way intended directly or indirectly to influence anyone to try said practices. Nor to I subscribe or agree with any of the said practices or encourage or support any practices. in unhealthy weight cutting.. No animals were injured in the making of this post. 

I once got so thirsty I made an entire pitcher of Kool-Aid - Cherry. I drank the entire pitcher. I let it sit for a few minutes enjoying the moment as it coated my insides with sugar and fluid. I then proceeded to take the same pitcher to the bathroom and throw-up all of the Kool aid back in to the pitcher to make sure I got it all out. I did get it all out and believe it or not, my insides did feel much better for it. The scary part was that it looked almost as clean back in the pitcher as it did before I drank it.

*Although stories are true, they are in no way intended directly or indirectly to influence anyone to try said practices. Nor to I subscribe or agree with any of the said practices or encourage or support any practices. in unhealthy weight cutting.. No animals were injured in the making of this post.

Excellent story!

I once chugged an entire pitcher of beer. When I went to burp after finishing it, I proceeded throw it up (due to my stomach being so full) back into the pitcher I chugged it from. It looked as clean and foamy as it did before chugging it. I just left it on the table. I hope no one drank it later...

Edited by BigTenFanboy

I once chugged an entire pitcher of beer. When I went to burp after finishing it, I proceeded throw it up (due to my stomach being so full) back into the pitcher I chugged it from. It looked as clean and foamy as it did before chugging it. I just left it on the table. I hope no one drank it later...

Who said cutting weight has to be an unpleasant experience? 😀

I used to go down to the locker room on the day of meets and sit on a scale and eat ice cream bars.  At states I weighed 105 on Saturday morning.  On Monday night I weighed 133.   My brother called Monday night and wanted me to go to an open tournament with college weight classes the next weekend, so by Friday I weighed 115.      

I used to go down to the locker room on the day of meets and sit on a scale and eat ice cream bars.  At states I weighed 105 on Saturday morning.  On Monday night I weighed 133.   My brother called Monday night and wanted me to go to an open tournament with college weight classes the next weekend, so by Friday I weighed 115.      

My sophomore year I was a 112lber. At the end of day 1 of regionals before heading back to the hotel I weighed 124lbs at 930pm. This was before the 2lbs allowance ever was a thing. I made 113.0 the next morning.

... funny stories are one thing- binge and purge ain't funny- "what happens in vegas..."

True...it's not funny...it's a horror story...If you really cared about me and my well being you would start me a Go Fund Me page. As it stands, my memories of horror  making weight will continue to haunt me. I still have dreams from time to time that I have to make weight. 

Edited by Idaho

By the end of my college experience, that's all I was, was a weight maker.  Took a toll, that's for sure.  I set my alarm for 5:30 so I could get my 5 mile run in on match day, so I could get that last quarter pound off.   I'd been in the sauna for two nights already, so I thought it was just about the greatest dream in the world when I awakened to find out I really had chugged an entire gallon of milk.  It was easier than I thought to get it all off.  Man was I wrong to yo yo the way I did.  Oh well, if wishes and buts were candy and nuts, we'd all have a merry Christmas.  Body went to a different level of survival mode I guess.  

http://board.themat.com/index.php?/topic/31-rich-sanders/

the historian posted:

Stan Dziedzic told me an interesting story about Rick Sanders and his battles to make weight. He was from the Randy Lewis school of losing it all in the last few hours.In 1969, when Sanders, along with Fred Fozzard, became the first US world champions, he was having a tough time making 114.5. Larry Kristoff locked him in the sauna, using a screwdriver to jam the door shut. Kristoff forgot about Sanders and went to a movie.He finally remembered and Sanders was not amused. He had enough energy to chase after Kristoff with the screwdriver, but not enough to catch him. 

Keith Lowrance posted:

Rich's weight cutting practices were legendary. At the trials for the Pan Am team in Minnesota a couple of us were running when we came across Rich. He was hiding something in the bushes. I asked him what he was doing and he said he was said Keith you always need a plan for weight cutting. He went on to say the was driving around his route he planned to run hiding cans of beer every 2 miles. He said that could keep him going for 10 to 12 miles and he could lose the 10 plus pounds he needed to lose by the next day. He jumped in his car and went to his next hiding spot. 

Stan Dziedzik posted: 

I did not know Rick well, but @ the final Olympic Wrestle-offs in 1976 I had a few lbs to cut and was going into the tunnel between the bldgs to run. Rick was also preparing to lose a few lbs or maybe more than a few. 

He introduced himself and then pulled out a bottle of whisky from his bag and offered me a swig. He said, it is much easier to cut weight if you heat up from both the inside and outside.

One time my team was headed to a big conference dual meet. When it was time to leave, everyone was there except for the smallest guy on the roster. Turns out, he was so over weight that he decided to just not show up that morning and hoped that we'd leave without him. We drove all over town looking for him but finally gave up. On our way to the highway, we stopped at a grocery store for some refreshments only to find the lightweight in line buying donuts. We quickly snatched him into the van and hit the road. When we got close to our destination, I had him hop out and run the weight off. He made weight and became an Olympic Champion. I became Dan Gable. 

There are two things I think of when I think of weight cutting in college. 1. It ussually happened freshman year or the first time someone cut extremely hard and didn't manage it well. It seemed like 1 time you would lose emotional control and cry or lose it and never do it so poorly again. Am I alone in this? Happened to me and I witnessed it many times. 2. My whole team would watch the food network in our free time.