• Please log in to reply
76 replies to this topic

#61 paboom

paboom

Bronze Member

• Members
  • 695 posts

Posted 11 February 2018 - 08:48 AM

I wouldn't be surprised if Joseph is pushing for a major next time.

But...I would equally not be surprised if the bull closes the gap and flat out beats him.

It's going to be fun and we should get two more years of it.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

#62 buckshot1969

buckshot1969

Bronze Member

• Members
  • 339 posts

Posted 11 February 2018 - 11:03 AM

I can't imagine any other team that takes losses with guys comfortably ahead late in matches.  Credit to PSU for having their guys continue to push because it's good for the sport but I doubt Joseph will take a risk like that in a tournament when it could get him knocked out.  

#63 headshuck

headshuck

Hall of Fame Member

• Members
  • 15,585 posts

Posted 11 February 2018 - 11:16 AM

Pretty sure Cael invented the 7 minute match.
  • russelscout likes this

#64 Billyhoyle

Billyhoyle

Gold Member

• Members
  • 2,775 posts

Posted 11 February 2018 - 11:25 AM

I can't imagine any other team that takes losses with guys comfortably ahead late in matches. Credit to PSU for having their guys continue to push because it's good for the sport but I doubt Joseph will take a risk like that in a tournament when it could get him knocked out.

You can't imagine it because you started following the sport two years ago and only watch PSU matches.
  • krippler likes this

#65 Cradle1

Cradle1
  • Members
  • 11 posts

Posted 14 February 2018 - 04:08 AM

Mocco reference.

I can see where you would think that because the originator of the post was a huge Mocco hater (and certainly had a Mocco "era" post or two in his day) but no, Mocco was not the reference of the first "Era" posts.   Hint:  It referenced a 133 lb. wrestler....

#66 gromit

gromit

Bronze Member

• Members
  • 779 posts

Posted 14 February 2018 - 05:58 AM

Ok trivia question.....who graced us with the first "era" post, and who was it in regard to? If you know the answer to this then you know you're one of the originals.

hmmmm.....Was the original "era" post made by JTTS, or BIG?  Maybe about Johnny Thompson, Travis Lee, or some other 133 during that same "era"?  I know it goes back at least 10 years, when Kellen Russell was a freshman, but he was at 141. 

anarchy in the UK

twitter @GromitK9

#67 Fletcher

Fletcher

Gold Member

• Members
  • 2,218 posts

Posted 14 February 2018 - 06:16 AM

To be fair, Marinelli got the win, period.  That said, he was taken down twice, definitively, and were it not for an attempted big move by Joseph, he loses.  Great match and looking forward to the reprise.  Whoever shows up in March wins 165.

Usually when people say "period", it means they're not adding on any qualifiers.

• AllISeeIsBronze and bnwtwg like this

#68 boconnell

boconnell

Gold Member

• Members
  • 2,804 posts

Posted 14 February 2018 - 07:43 AM

What's interesting is some want to eliminate Marinelli's points because they came off of a Joseph inside trip attempt.  But none of those same people want to eliminate Joseph's 2nd TD off an inside trip attempt.  The bottom line is that if Joseph comes out and doesn't use his best move/finish in the next match because he is playing it safe, then that would be better for Marinelli than if Joseph did use it.  

• AllISeeIsBronze likes this

#69 Cradle1

Cradle1
  • Members
  • 11 posts

Posted 14 February 2018 - 03:19 PM

hmmmm.....Was the original "era" post made by JTTS, or BIG?  Maybe about Johnny Thompson, Travis Lee, or some other 133 during that same "era"?  I know it goes back at least 10 years, when Kellen Russell was a freshman, but he was at 141. 

Yep, it was JTTS- who was sort of a celebrity (and/or infamous depending on your take) back in the day.  Johnny Thompson was the returning national runner-up and odds on favorite with Eric Juergens graduating.  Cliff Moore smoked him in an early dual, leading Hawk fans to hype him as the next big thing.  Literally the next dual out Moore gets beat by an unheralded wrestler (not sure who) causing JTTS (who hated Iowa) to post "I really enjoyed the Cliff Moore Era". 

It's sort of amazing that the "era" posts have stuck around for 15 years....

• gromit and KTG119 like this

#70 gromit

gromit

Bronze Member

• Members
  • 779 posts

Posted 15 February 2018 - 02:28 AM

Oh, the memories...

Here's a classic post by JTTS I searched for and found...written after the 2002 NCAA's:

“THE IOWA FAN”

Sung to the tune of "The Piano Man" by Billy Joel

It’s 9 o’clock on a Saturday
We’re live in upstate New York
Iowa’s in 4th place and falling
Time to stick them with a fork

Look over there, it's Mike Zadick
I’ve heard he's never merciful
Just went to his back seven times
Against the dreaded Jake Percival

So sing us a song, you’re the Iowa fan
It’s hard for you to be merry
No one thinks the Fulsaas twins
Are the next coming of Tom and Terry

Jessman Smith is a friend of mine
Just got stuck by Rob Rohn
He’s sitting next to Mocco
Who’s eating a taco
While his dad scoops him an ice cream cone

No Hawk All American at 174
You have the overrated Tyler
Trey Clark beat Cael?
He’d probably get stuck by Cyler.

This pain, how do we dull it?
Let’s remember Royce Alger
And that other guy with the mullet

And Moore is practicing bridging
He always goes to his back
Opposing wrestlers are now excited
To wrestle the gold and black

Got nothing from 157 or 165
No AA status for Luke
I just saw old Dan Gable
Looks like he’s going to puke

During the awards ceremony
Our guys are in street clothes and loafers
You can’t win it every year
Unless you’re the Golden Gophers

Better you then me
If you think this year was rough
Wait until 2003!

anarchy in the UK

twitter @GromitK9

#71 gromit

gromit

Bronze Member

• Members
  • 779 posts

Posted 15 February 2018 - 02:32 AM

Another JTTS Classic:

Iowa City, Iowa (AP)- A local cashier is in critical, but stable condition after a vicious assault at the Iowa City McDonalds. The cashier, Rose Wells, suffered a broken shin as a result of a dispute that arose over a customer's order.

"A bunch of kids came in," said Mrs. Wells, "they seemed nice enough. The first few just ordered waters and salads with no dressing." Trouble began when the largest and oldest member of the gang, who patrons described as looking like "Barney Rubble, but fatter" tried to place his order.

Joe Wells, the victim's husband, who along with being the town postmaster and dentist also manages the McDonalds, witnessed the event. "The guy asked for nine Big-N-Tasty's. Rose thought it was a joke at first. I mean, NINE? But he appeared dead serious, Mr. Wells began. "The rule is you can only order three items off of the Mickey D's Value Menu. But when my cousin, excuse me, I mean my wife told him this, he got all upset."

"He said something about them not having that rule at the Hackensack McDonalds. When my cousin told him that the rules weren't flexible, he really lost it."

According to witnesses, the belligerent patron began to kick Mrs. Wells in the leg. Iowa City Deputy Mayor, Tom Leary, was working at the McDonalds as a janitor. "The tubby guy went nuts! Leary said, "He kept kicking at her foot and shin. Rose was shocked, she wuz just standin' there. All this over a bunch of Big-N-Tasty's!"

When Mrs. Wells didn't fall from the attack, the attacker's friends began yelling at her. There were taunts that Mrs. Wells was "fleeing the mat" and "running around." One member of the gang was overheard commenting that "McDonalds teaches their employees to stall. They think it's their only chance. You can tell the cashiers wanted the coin flip."

The youths fled the restaurant before police arrived. Authorities are on the look-out for a man in his mid-30's. He was described as being "well past college age." The suspect stands approximately 5 foot 10 and was estimated at weighing 300 pounds. He is considered armed and hungry.

anarchy in the UK

twitter @GromitK9

#72 PhiferFuqua

PhiferFuqua

Bronze Member

• Members
  • 441 posts

Posted 15 February 2018 - 02:41 AM

I know the ongoing joke, it has long run it's course time for it to die

I really enjoyed the "I really enjoyed" thread era
"It simply is factual that 149 was one of the weakest divisions we have seen in years ... Let me put it to you this way, do you think ZR could have done well against Lance Palmer?"

- cm_111, 4/6/2016

#73 MSU158

MSU158

Gold Member

• Members
  • 4,796 posts

Posted 15 February 2018 - 02:50 AM

What's interesting is some want to eliminate Marinelli's points because they came off of a Joseph inside trip attempt.  But none of those same people want to eliminate Joseph's 2nd TD off an inside trip attempt.  The bottom line is that if Joseph comes out and doesn't use his best move/finish in the next match because he is playing it safe, then that would be better for Marinelli than if Joseph did use it.  

Inside trip is used too loosely.  It isn't remotely the ONLY part of the move.  His first "inside trip" takedown was off a tight over under where he had full leverage over Marinelli.  The attempt that put him on his back was a very loose double over where Marinelli already essentially had a bear hug(hands locked firmly around the waist).  One was chain wrestled the other was beyond ill-advised.

Now, I get that his inside trip is a trademark, but that doesn't mean you shouldn't know when, and when not, to pull the trigger.

Edited by MSU158, 15 February 2018 - 02:50 AM.

#74 VakAttack

VakAttack

Hall of Fame Member

• Members
  • 23,841 posts

Posted 15 February 2018 - 03:37 AM

The move where Marinelli scored was his move.  Joseph went for a desperation inside trip because he was losing position, but Marinelli initiated the situation and stepped in even before Cenzo did.

• tbert likes this

Collegiate Wrestling's Premier Thought Leader

#75 LemonPie

LemonPie

Gold Member

• Members
  • 4,803 posts

Posted 15 February 2018 - 03:44 AM

Holy ****, y'all are still talking about this match/sequence?  Move on.   They will meet again another half dozen times.  

Edited by LemonPie, 15 February 2018 - 03:44 AM.

• PhiferFuqua and AllISeeIsBronze like this

Anyone but Heil '18

http://contenttolosebythree.com

#76 tbert

tbert

Silver Member

• Members
  • 1,034 posts

Posted 15 February 2018 - 05:25 AM

The move where Marinelli scored was his move. Joseph went for a desperation inside trip because he was losing position, but Marinelli initiated the situation and stepped in even before Cenzo did.

Alex baited him and Joseph took it...hook,line & sinker!
MAGA!

#77 boconnell

boconnell

Gold Member

• Members
  • 2,804 posts

Posted 15 February 2018 - 05:33 AM

Inside trip is used too loosely.  It isn't remotely the ONLY part of the move.  His first "inside trip" takedown was off a tight over under where he had full leverage over Marinelli.  The attempt that put him on his back was a very loose double over where Marinelli already essentially had a bear hug(hands locked firmly around the waist).  One was chain wrestled the other was beyond ill-advised.

Now, I get that his inside trip is a trademark, but that doesn't mean you shouldn't know when, and when not, to pull the trigger.

I agree.  My point was more that pretending the last sequence won't happen again but pretending the earlier sequence will certainly happen again is a colored glasses view.  Likewise pretending there is no chance of the 2nd situation because Joseph will stay away from throws and big moves is foolish.  Joseph might be a little smarter in bellying out against a body lock with a lead next time, but I imagine he'll continue to attack upper body and utilize the inside trip finish.  That's who he is and a huge part of what makes him great.  Because of that I imagine there is a small chance a similar outcome happens again.  If Joseph was to avoid all upper body ties and throw positions it would eliminate the small chance he gets thrown but it would also cut out a very important part of his offense.  My guess is at Big 10s he just wrestles like he always does and wins this time.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users