Sign in to follow this  
two-six

Joe Rogan defends wrestling

He has always been a wrestling fan, and discusses it often. Tonight during the Henderson match he called the decision to remove wrestling in the Olympics ridiculous and went on a small rant about it, calling for action to fix this. He also called wrestling one of the greatest sports ever.

Nice audience too I imagine with the nice card tonight.

No spoilers from me.

Though his boss Dana White has made several statements saying he's fine with wrestling being removed. He somehow things wrestlings removal may actually be a postive move forward that could open to door for an MMA style sport to take its place. Glad Rogan willing to make a counter point about wrestling necessity as a building block for MMA fighters.

Dana White is a dime-a-dozen tough guy who got lucky and made it big. As far as I know, he didn't grow up practicing any combat sport. And he began his professional career trying to make money from aerobics, not MMA. At some point, the UFC was floundering, he saw an opportunity, and he convinced some guys he knew to invest in it. It was a simple business opportunity.

Joe Rogan, on the other hand, has a passion for MMA and its component disciplines.

Bearing all that in mind, I think their respective comments concerning Olympic wrestling make a lot of sense.

Dana White is a dime-a-dozen tough guy who got lucky and made it big. As far as I know, he didn't grow up practicing any combat sport. And he began his professional career trying to make money from aerobics, not MMA. At some point, the UFC was floundering, he saw an opportunity, and he convinced some guys he knew to invest in it. It was a simple business opportunity.

Joe Rogan, on the other hand, has a passion for MMA and its component disciplines.

Bearing all that in mind, I think their respective comments concerning Olympic wrestling make a lot of sense.

White was a professional boxer, albeit briefly, before getting into the promotion side of things.

Dana White was NEVER a pro boxer.

Correct. This is a rumor that was started around the time when White challenged Ortiz. However, I have heard multiple times that White was a very good amateur boxer and was a street fighter as well. While he might not have had any wrestling or martial arts training, he was legitimately tough.

I personally don't dislike White, but I don't like the way he runs the UFC. He has been known to be generous outside the octagon, and I see eye to eye with him on "certain subjects" we won't discuss here. People are allowed to not like wrestling, and it's easy to not like it in it's current state. How many times do you have to defend the sport? I know I have a bunch of times.