Sign in to follow this  
gowrestle

Nolf Update

If Nolf takes the ID, MFF route at BIG .... what NCAA Seed (as an At-Large bid) does he get under these circumstances ?

That's the second biggest problem with this scenario (next to a bracket getting Suriano'ed).  Without seeing him wrestle there's no way to know how injured he still is or where he should be seeded, so there's another possible chance of screwing up the bracket.  IMO if he's too hurt to wrestle at the qualifier then he shouldn't be chosen for nationals 11 days later.

Edited by KCMO2

That's the second biggest problem with this scenario (next to a bracket getting Suriano'ed). Without seeing him wrestle there's no way to know how injured he still is or where he should be seeded, so there's another possible chance of screwing up the bracket. IMO if he's too hurt to wrestle at the qualifier then he shouldn't be chosen for nationals 11 days later.

If there is even a 2 percent chance he can wrestle ncaa you hold the spot for him. The 34th ranked guy failed to qualify based on his own merits.

Edited by TBar1977

If there is even a 2 percent chance he can wrestle ncaa you hokd the spot for him. The 34th ranked guy failed to qualify based on his own merits.

Ok, so where do you seed him then when you have no clue how injured he is still?

They can seed him anywhere they want. If he is healthy it won't matter to him.

It matters to the bracket.  Whether he's 50% or 90% can have a huge impact on the bracket if he is seeded in the wrong spot.

Right, but it will matter to everyone else.

This is certainly true.  However, if you are a seeded wrestler hoping to win the NCAA, when would you rather face Nolf, his first match back or after he has a few matches under his belt.  It is an issue for the other seeded guys, but I still say if you don't wrestle in the Q tourney, then no seed for NCAA.  Look at Suriano last year, gets a gift spot and then doesn't use it.  There is no perfect/fair method but why give the benefit to a guy who chooses not to wrestle in the qualifier?  That said, I still expect to see Nolf wrestle in b10.

The seeds have become more and more rule/computer based and less and less human based.  Heck I think a good chunk of the people who seed now aren't even wrestling coaches.  I think if Nolf skips Big Tens out he'll be seeded as a guy who has two "real" losses.  The one vs Rutgers and his first match at Big Tens where I think he technically has to start the match.  The wrestleback wouldn't count as a loss on his record, but a MFF. 

That makes him something like 18-2 with one OK loss (van brill) and one bad loss (well depending who he gets first, but likely a lower tier guy) - so that'll almostly certainly put him below Kemmerer and Hidlay.  Very likely behind Lavallee.  So I'm thinking the best seed he'll get is 4 and the worst 7 seed depending how the conference tournies shake out, with 4 or 5 being my prediction.

The seeds have become more and more rule/computer based and less and less human based. Heck I think a good chunk of the people who seed now aren't even wrestling coaches. I think if Nolf skips Big Tens out he'll be seeded as a guy who has two "real" losses. The one vs Rutgers and his first match at Big Tens where I think he technically has to start the match. The wrestleback wouldn't count as a loss on his record, but a MFF.

That makes him something like 18-2 with one OK loss (van brill) and one bad loss (well depending who he gets first, but likely a lower tier guy) - so that'll almostly certainly put him below Kemmerer and Hidlay. Very likely behind Lavallee. So I'm thinking the best seed he'll get is 4 and the worst 7 seed depending how the conference tournies shake out, with 4 or 5 being my prediction.

I hope he is either 3 or 6. It would be silly for him to wrestle the #1 seed earlier than the finals.

That's the second biggest problem with this scenario (next to a bracket getting Suriano'ed).  Without seeing him wrestle there's no way to know how injured he still is or where he should be seeded, so there's another possible chance of screwing up the bracket.  IMO if he's too hurt to wrestle at the qualifier then he shouldn't be chosen for nationals 11 days later.

I agree.  However, they WILL Seed him.  The question is WHERE ?

With 2 losses (both ID) & the Seeding Criteria being what it is .......

Best case :  #4 Seed (behind undefeated Kemmerer, Hidley, & 1-loss Lavallee if they all win their respective Qualifiers).

With Qualifier Placement also mattering for Seeding......

Worst case :  #5 Seed (also behind 2-loss Shields if he wins Pac 12).

Does #4 or #5 Seed sound about right assuming the others win their Qualifiers ?

Yeah it's so hard to come up with something and fully eliminate edge cases or legit injuries suffered in the first match.  My best idea would involve having a "you can't default to qualify" restriction only if you didn't finish either of your last two conference duals.  Still sucks though..

One thing I would like to see them fix is that if someone who earned an allocation defaults out without actually wrestling then the tournament should lose an allocation at that weight and have it revert to the at large pool.  Otherwise you're just giving a free spot away. 

They can seed him anywhere they want. If he is healthy it won't matter to him.

Agree 100% with this. He has no comp if healthy and he can care less where he’s seeded

If everyone else so concerned than just seed him 1st. Seed him anywhere else and you will have people crying that they got put in Nolfs bracket

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Agree 100% with this. He has no comp if healthy and he can care less where he’s seeded

If everyone else so concerned than just seed him 1st. Seed him anywhere else and you will have people crying that they got put in Nolfs bracket

If he isn't wrestling a single match at Big Tens, then he isn't 100% healthy and won't be by NCAAs. 

JMO. If a wrestler does not actually compete in their qualifying event then they should not qualify for nationals.

Yeah let’s penalize a kid for getting injured late on the season compared to earlier.

We don’t want the best wrestlers to enter tournament. Is that your stance?

No one has any idea if Nolf will actually wrestle in B1Gs, regardless do your honestly believe he hasn’t earned his spot? Compared to some kids that have less than 5 matches going into B1Gs

Lets start penalizing guys that are working hard to get back onto the mat. That will do wonders to promote the sport. Right after we enact that rule we should try to negotiate new TV contracts. 

little dramatic TBar....tv guys have no clue about Nolf and 'implications' of him not wrestling. are less people going to attend/watch NCAAs if Nolf isn't there? 

Yeah let’s penalize a kid for getting injured late on the season compared to earlier.

We don’t want the best wrestlers to enter tournament. Is that your stance?

No one has any idea if Nolf will actually wrestle in B1Gs, regardless do your honestly believe he hasn’t earned his spot? Compared to some kids that have less than 5 matches going into B1Gs

It doesn’t matter to me who qualifies for nationals. I do think you should earn an allocation for your conference and then earn your spot on the mat. It’s my opinion we should do away with wild cards. You want a spot then place high enough at your qualifying event. Otherwise you didn’t earn a spot at NCAA’s.

I say this as a wrestler who “earned” a wild card while competing.