• Please log in to reply
42 replies to this topic

#1 tightwaist

tightwaist

Gold Member

• Members
  • 3,421 posts

Posted 11 February 2018 - 05:38 AM

I am actually a fan of the Brands. They are good for the sport and clearly are able to develop their lightweights. My question is about the other coaches in the room. Who is the big guy? Seems like they need to bring in a Damion Hahn type that can develop their upper weights.

As Mudflap so eloquently puts it, perhaps Perry is the right guy to bring some 'ciphering and a different look going forward?
  • gowrestle likes this

#2 gowrestle

gowrestle

Silver Member

• Members
  • 1,886 posts

Posted 11 February 2018 - 06:02 AM

I like the Brands’ Brothers too. Iowa may never be what they were because the competition has gotten better. (PSU, tOSU, Rutgers, South Dakota, NCState, and kids like DeSanto going to 2nd tier schools.)

Edited by gowrestle, 12 February 2018 - 05:52 AM.

#3 powershouse

powershouse

Bronze Member

• Members
  • 720 posts

Posted 12 February 2018 - 02:16 AM

Ben Berhow is the big man coach and seems to be doing a good job.

#4 tightwaist

tightwaist

Gold Member

• Members
  • 3,421 posts

Posted 12 February 2018 - 06:14 AM

I think they need to put their whole squad in massive knee braces. Works for Lee and Marinelli, and now Kemerer is even wearing a brace.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
  • ClawRide likes this

#5 unbiased

unbiased

Bronze Member

• Members
  • 540 posts

Posted 12 February 2018 - 06:21 AM

I never did get why so many non Iowa fans dislike them. They haven't won in 7 years. It seems to be a good thing.

#6 TobusRex

TobusRex

Gold Member

• Members
  • 3,112 posts

Posted 12 February 2018 - 07:44 AM

I never did get why so many non Iowa fans dislike them. They haven't won in 7 years. It seems to be a good thing.

I think the reason some guys complain about the Brands is their record at Iowa isn't any better than Jim Zalesky's was, and Zalesky was ran out of Iowa City on a rail. Zalesky won as many titles in 9 years as Brands has won in 11.  The situations were different, and you could say that Zalesky's "advantage" was inheriting a National TItle team from Gable....after Zalesky's first 3 years Iowa started to undeniably slip. Brands came into a "down" program and won 3 NCAA titles starting with his 2nd year: but hasn't won any since that first "expanded" class which included Metcalf. The Hawkeyes haven't since mounted a serious challenge at NCAAs in many years with their best effort being a 2nd place finish 18 points behind Ohio State a couple years ago.

Anyway I like the Brands alright, even if they are goofballs. What am I saying, BECAUSE they are goofballs.

Edited by TobusRex, 12 February 2018 - 07:45 AM.

#7 paboom

paboom

Bronze Member

• Members
  • 698 posts

Posted 12 February 2018 - 09:54 AM

Not everyone is a national championship caliber coach.

Really, does anyone actually believe tOSU is going to challenge again in a couple more years? I don't think so.

The next 2 years, all we have is Sanderson, Smith and Brands and I'm not convinced Smith and Brands are up to the task. I know Ryan is not.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

#8 boconnell

boconnell

Gold Member

• Members
  • 2,808 posts

Posted 12 February 2018 - 10:08 AM

I think the reason some guys complain about the Brands is their record at Iowa isn't any better than Jim Zalesky's was, and Zalesky was ran out of Iowa City on a rail. Zalesky won as many titles in 9 years as Brands has won in 11.  The situations were different, and you could say that Zalesky's "advantage" was inheriting a National TItle team from Gable....after Zalesky's first 3 years Iowa started to undeniably slip. Brands came into a "down" program and won 3 NCAA titles starting with his 2nd year: but hasn't won any since that first "expanded" class which included Metcalf. The Hawkeyes haven't since mounted a serious challenge at NCAAs in many years with their best effort being a 2nd place finish 18 points behind Ohio State a couple years ago.

Anyway I like the Brands alright, even if they are goofballs. What am I saying, BECAUSE they are goofballs.

Very few Iowa fans complain about Brands.  

None of the non-Iowa fans are complaining because Brands doesn't win enough.  

#9 russelscout

russelscout

Bronze Member

• Members
  • 258 posts

Posted 12 February 2018 - 10:59 AM

As an Iowa fan, I am not happy about Iowa getting smashed by PSU every year. It pains me to see, but at the same time every team is going through that. Iowa still maintains one of the top teams in the country. They don't lose to teams that they shouldn't and they beat top teams throughout the year so that eases up the pain for sure.

One of the things the Brands do well is they continue to bring interest to their program, whether that be by having a dual in a stadium, changing recruiting tactics like bringing in studs like Marinielli and Lee, or change the culture a little and show a little silliness. I think what puts me at ease is that even the the Iowa dynasty has gone down, you can tell it is not without a fight.

When zalesky was there I did not have that feeling. Placements at nationals stayed steady, but you could feel it slipping away with losses to teams like Iowa st, Wisconsin, Michigan st, and northwestern during the year. There didn't feel like there was much to be excited about.
"To feel sorry for him because his dream is going down the drain is ludicrous. I would like nothing more than to see Josh Budke on top of the heap at the end. The thing is he has to earn it. It's not that he deserves it. He doesn't deserve anything. The only thing you deserve is what you earn." -Tom Brands

#10 AKHUNTER

AKHUNTER

Silver Member

• Members
  • 1,025 posts

Posted 12 February 2018 - 11:05 AM

look at what was happening to attendance under Jimmy Z.

#11 Sheerstress

Sheerstress

Gold Member

• Members
  • 2,506 posts

Posted 12 February 2018 - 11:10 AM

Correct me if I'm wrong, but it seems that the Brands brothers coach with a lot of intensity and fervor, much like Gable did.  They all expected their athletes to go out on the mat expecting to win, or to at least fight their tails off trying.  

Zalesky simply did not coach with the same intensity, and over time, it showed.  Not to say he was a bad coach, but intensity is something that the Iowa program seems to expect and demand from its athletes.

#12 tightwaist

tightwaist

Gold Member

• Members
  • 3,421 posts

Posted 12 February 2018 - 11:30 AM

Correct me if I'm wrong, but it seems that the Brands brothers coach with a lot of intensity and fervor, much like Gable did. They all expected their athletes to go out on the mat expecting to win, or to at least fight their tails off trying.

Zalesky simply did not coach with the same intensity, and over time, it showed. Not to say he was a bad coach, but intensity is something that the Iowa program seems to expect and demand from its athletes.

Which is why having a strong Iowa program is important. Brands is such a contrast to Cael and crew. It only adds to the entertainment value...as long as the antics don't carry over into punk territory.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

#13 Greatdane67

Greatdane67
  • Members
  • 77 posts

Posted 12 February 2018 - 12:03 PM

This post lost all credibility with,  "I know Ryan is not". Did Ohio State ever win a title before Ryan?  

Not everyone is a national championship caliber coach.

Really, does anyone actually believe tOSU is going to challenge again in a couple more years? I don't think so.

The next 2 years, all we have is Sanderson, Smith and Brands and I'm not convinced Smith and Brands are up to the task. I know Ryan is not.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

• redblades and rcoates1 like this

#14 cangemi

cangemi

Gold Member

• Members
  • 3,527 posts

Posted 12 February 2018 - 12:44 PM

Maturity, I became a fan few years back. Handles himself well.

#15 wrestlingphish

wrestlingphish

Silver Member

• Members
  • 1,373 posts

Posted 12 February 2018 - 01:04 PM

Correct me if I'm wrong, but it seems that the Brands brothers coach with a lot of intensity and fervor, much like Gable did.  They all expected their athletes to go out on the mat expecting to win, or to at least fight their tails off trying.  

Zalesky simply did not coach with the same intensity, and over time, it showed.  Not to say he was a bad coach, but intensity is something that the Iowa program seems to expect and demand from its athletes.

I have a friend who wrestled for Iowa and was in a lineup battle his junior year (that he did not come out on top of) and then took hold of the spot his senior year. He certainly doesn't think Brands walks on water but one thing he always said was that every match you knew Tom & Terry were going to fight for you like it was the national finals. It didn't matter if you were a one time starter or Brent Metcalf they treated every match the same and did everything they could to put you in a better position to win the match.

• tightwaist, WildTurkey44 and KTG119 like this

#16 WillieBoy

WillieBoy

Silver Member

• Members
  • 1,323 posts

Posted 12 February 2018 - 01:09 PM

Just wait and you will see Brands secrets for getting his guys UP before the matches. He is working on the lines, practicing daily and long into the night. More than just jumping around on the sidelines and telling wrestlers "throw me" after a win. Proven lines that will motivate his guys like never before. He thinks it was part of Gable's success and is pushing hard to get it down.

It takes time for the research as I don't have the truth serum or hired hands of Mudflap...

#17 xander

xander

Gold Member

• Members
  • 4,692 posts

Posted 12 February 2018 - 01:14 PM

I very much like TNT. We are from same town in Iowa. They were two years younger than me.

When I was 16 I was riding my 1966 coupe cherry mustang on a cold winter day. All of the sudden got hammered with snow balls. I parked and ran at the group. It was TNT. I tackled one of them. They were 13 years old or so. I was stud 16. I like to think it was Tom. That way I can say I tacked a gold medalist.

Go Sheldon Orabs. (Orange and Black)
  • Witherman and Peso like this
Tony Clifton

#18 Plasmodium

Plasmodium

Gold Member

• Members
  • 4,426 posts

Posted 12 February 2018 - 02:05 PM

I very much like TNT. We are from same town in Iowa. They were two years younger than me.

When I was 16 I was riding my 1966 coupe cherry mustang on a cold winter day. All of the sudden got hammered with snow balls. I parked and ran at the group. It was TNT. I tackled one of them. They were 13 years old or so. I was stud 16. I like to think it was Tom. That way I can say I tacked a gold medalist.

Go Sheldon Orabs. (Orange and Black)

Nice story!
  • xander likes this

#19 TobusRex

TobusRex

Gold Member

• Members
  • 3,112 posts

Posted 12 February 2018 - 07:22 PM

This post lost all credibility with,  "I know Ryan is not". Did Ohio State ever win a title before Ryan?  

Sure, lots of titles.

But none in wrestling.

#20 cornercoach

cornercoach

Silver Member

• Members
  • 1,208 posts

Posted 12 February 2018 - 08:14 PM

.. pay me UrbanMeyerKinda$$ and i'll win a title for ya... ain't gonna be easy....not like goin down to the pond and catchin bluegills

and tommycats....

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users