• Please log in to reply
42 replies to this topic

#21 WrestlingFan89

WrestlingFan89

Bronze Member

• Members
  • 569 posts

Posted 12 February 2018 - 11:34 PM

I very much like TNT. We are from same town in Iowa. They were two years younger than me.

When I was 16 I was riding my 1966 coupe cherry mustang on a cold winter day. All of the sudden got hammered with snow balls. I parked and ran at the group. It was TNT. I tackled one of them. They were 13 years old or so. I was stud 16. I like to think it was Tom. That way I can say I tacked a gold medalist.

Go Sheldon Orabs. (Orange and Black)

I’ve done some work for your old coach Galen Nelson. Great guy!
  • xander likes this

#22 russelscout

russelscout

Bronze Member

• Members
  • 258 posts

Posted 13 February 2018 - 01:31 AM

Also from Sheldon. Galen Nelson was my 8th grade English teacher and he became the Jr. High wrestling coach after taking several years off coaching and was long removed from coaching the Brands. He had a huge impact on the Jr High program and numbers shot up again after Sheldon had really struggled to get kids out. Those teams he coached ended up making regional duals in high school for a couple years. Athletics over all improved, and a few of my buddies (one being a D1 wrestler, one being a D1 strength trainer, and several college football players) still credit Galen for teaching them how to work hard and getting them into lifting in Jr High. I would be interested to see what the Brands had to say about Galen.
  • xander and WrestlingFan89 like this
"To feel sorry for him because his dream is going down the drain is ludicrous. I would like nothing more than to see Josh Budke on top of the heap at the end. The thing is he has to earn it. It's not that he deserves it. He doesn't deserve anything. The only thing you deserve is what you earn." -Tom Brands

#23 xander

xander

Gold Member

• Members
  • 4,678 posts

Posted 13 February 2018 - 01:46 AM

When you google “Galen Nelson Sheldon” one of the T’s shows up in photo section
  • WrestlingFan89 likes this
Tony Clifton

#24 WrestlingFan89

WrestlingFan89

Bronze Member

• Members
  • 569 posts

Posted 13 February 2018 - 03:57 AM

When you google “Galen Nelson Sheldon” one of the T’s shows up in photo section

I run into him occasionally in Brookings, at Jackrabbit duals.

#25 wrestlingphish

wrestlingphish

Silver Member

• Members
  • 1,368 posts

Posted 13 February 2018 - 04:33 AM

Also from Sheldon. Galen Nelson was my 8th grade English teacher and he became the Jr. High wrestling coach after taking several years off coaching and was long removed from coaching the Brands. He had a huge impact on the Jr High program and numbers shot up again after Sheldon had really struggled to get kids out. Those teams he coached ended up making regional duals in high school for a couple years. Athletics over all improved, and a few of my buddies (one being a D1 wrestler, one being a D1 strength trainer, and several college football players) still credit Galen for teaching them how to work hard and getting them into lifting in Jr High. I would be interested to see what the Brands had to say about Galen.

I believe Nelson Brands (Terry’s son) is name after him so I would say that they hold him in pretty high regard.

#26 WillieBoy

WillieBoy

Silver Member

• Members
  • 1,306 posts

Posted 13 February 2018 - 05:20 AM

Ragging on T&T is easy. Reality is they do a damn good job keeping Iowa near the top of the heap. Just as John Smith does at OSU. Maybe the twins get it going but that is a long shot right now. A few very good guys but not enough to win a title - for either Iowa or OSU.

The hot hand has moved these days and Iowa as well as OSU is chasing the leaders rather than being the leaders. I put those two together because of their history.

I don't see that changing for at least a decade if Penn State keeps Cael Sanderson as head coach. Whatever he is not - he is the best coach around right now.

• gromit likes this

#27 zhawk

zhawk

Bronze Member

• Members
  • 234 posts

Posted 13 February 2018 - 05:39 AM

I believe Nelson Brands (Terry’s son) is name after him so I would say that they hold him in pretty high regard.

I'm not sure that's true. Tom's middle name is Nelson (his full name is actually Thomas Nelson Brands II) so I believe it's a family name. See here: http://hof.hawkeyesp...lson-brands-ii/

That doesn't mean they don't respect and appreciate their former coach, of course.

Edited by zhawk, 13 February 2018 - 05:42 AM.

They may not be the correct answers, but they will be answers.

#28 paboom

paboom

Bronze Member

• Members
  • 695 posts

Posted 13 February 2018 - 07:12 AM

Ragging on T&T is easy. Reality is they do a damn good job keeping Iowa near the top of the heap. Just as John Smith does at OSU. Maybe the twins get it going but that is a long shot right now. A few very good guys but not enough to win a title - for either Iowa or OSU.

The hot hand has moved these days and Iowa as well as OSU is chasing the leaders rather than being the leaders. I put those two together because of their history.

I don't see that changing for at least a decade if Penn State keeps Cael Sanderson as head coach. Whatever he is not - he is the best coach around right now.

Agree. PSU wins this year before Saturday if Nolf can roll.

The next year OSU and Iowa will keep it interesting during the season enough for people like us to debate it but I still think PSU rolls in March.

After losing the 3 "N's" after next year could make it very interesting in 2020 and could be a 3 team race. Obviously that is what OSU and Iowa are shooting for.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

#29 TBar1977

TBar1977

Hall of Fame Member

• Members
  • 11,514 posts

Posted 13 February 2018 - 07:31 AM

PSU Best Guess March 2020

125 Brody Teske / Adam Busiello

133 Gavin Teasdale / RBY

141 RBY / Nick Lee

149 Nick Lee / Jarrod Verkleeren

157 Brady Berge

165 Vincenzo Joseph / Joe Lee 

174 Mark Hall / Mason Manville

184 Mason Manville / Aaron Brooks

197 Cassar / Michael Beard

Hwt Seth Nevills

That will still be a very salty line up. 

I have set aside funds to have six Green Bay Packers be my pall bearers, that way they can let me down one final time. 

#30 WildTurkey44

WildTurkey44

Silver Member

• Members
  • 1,250 posts

Posted 13 February 2018 - 10:38 AM

PSU Best Guess March 2020

125 Brody Teske / Adam Busiello
133 Gavin Teasdale / RBY
141 RBY / Nick Lee
149 Nick Lee / Jarrod Verkleeren
157 Brady Berge
165 Vincenzo Joseph / Joe Lee
174 Mark Hall / Mason Manville
184 Mason Manville / Aaron Brooks
197 Cassar / Michael Beard
Hwt Seth Nevills

That will still be a very salty line up.

This is not a Penn state thread. It's been a great thread about Tom and Terry. Start another one of your penn state love threads elsewhere please.
  • zhawk and pjm46 like this

#31 TBar1977

TBar1977

Hall of Fame Member

• Members
  • 11,514 posts

Posted 13 February 2018 - 10:47 AM

This is not a Penn state thread. It's been a great thread about Tom and Terry. Start another one of your penn state love threads elsewhere please.

That is hilarious, because I was responding to another poster who DID bring up PSU 2020. This board is like a courtroom, when a topic gets brought up into evidence it then is fair play to respond. Capiche? 

Btw, sorry for your butthurt. I'll send you an e Card to help you get over it. 

Edited by TBar1977, 13 February 2018 - 10:48 AM.

I have set aside funds to have six Green Bay Packers be my pall bearers, that way they can let me down one final time. 

#32 paboom

paboom

Bronze Member

• Members
  • 695 posts

Posted 13 February 2018 - 11:07 AM

That is hilarious, because I was responding to another poster who DID bring up PSU 2020. This board is like a courtroom, when a topic gets brought up into evidence it then is fair play to respond. Capiche?

Btw, sorry for your butthurt. I'll send you an e Card to help you get over it.

Yeah my post had more to do with where Iowa and OSU will be in 2 years (Smith had a post on whether his days are numbered).

PSU isn't going anywhere but if there is a chance to challenge them, it's 2 years from now and Iowa is one of those teams.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk
  • TBar1977 likes this

#33 xander

xander

Gold Member

• Members
  • 4,678 posts

Posted 13 February 2018 - 12:31 PM

no kidding. ? That is cool
Tony Clifton

#34 WillieBoy

WillieBoy

Silver Member

• Members
  • 1,306 posts

Posted 14 February 2018 - 05:30 AM

You are right, it is not. Penn State is relevant here as the school/program is why we are discussing Iowa's chances for third place, not a Title.

#35 wrestlingphish

wrestlingphish

Silver Member

• Members
  • 1,368 posts

Posted 14 February 2018 - 08:18 AM

no kidding. ? That is cool

Apparently I was wrong. It may be a family name. I know Nelson is named after someone and thought I read it was an old coach but couldn’t find anything to back it up.

#36 gimpeltf

gimpeltf

Gold Member

• Members
  • 5,259 posts

Posted 14 February 2018 - 08:48 AM

Apparently I was wrong. It may be a family name. I know Nelson is named after someone and thought I read it was an old coach but couldn’t find anything to back it up.

Bill Nelson maybe? Or maybe it's because he is a half-brother?

#37 cornercoach

cornercoach

Silver Member

• Members
  • 1,204 posts

Posted 14 February 2018 - 09:25 AM

Bill Nelson maybe? Or maybe it's because he is a half-brother?

..... so he is a . . . . half nelson.......

• TheOhioState, xander, Gantry and 5 others like this

#38 xander

xander

Gold Member

• Members
  • 4,678 posts

Posted 14 February 2018 - 12:18 PM

..... so he is a . . . . half nelson.......

you can’t pay for this stuff. Out friggen standing.
Tony Clifton

#39 Frank_Rizzo

Frank_Rizzo

Silver Member

• Members
  • 1,456 posts

Posted 15 February 2018 - 01:28 AM

Love Tom and Terry, but I don't see them leading Iowa back to a national team title any time soon.  Or even contending for that matter. 

#40 MA_Wrestler

MA_Wrestler

Silver Member

• Members
  • 1,225 posts

Posted 15 February 2018 - 01:59 AM

This topic always drives me nuts, and I realize I'm trying to be rationale with un-rational people, but I'll give it a try anyway.

Cael has raised the bar for all coaches and his current run of dominance is truly remarkable. However, if we are comparing every coach to him, every coach currently comes up short. Only one team can win a title in a season, but that doesn't mean he is the only good/great/elite coach in the game.

Iowa is held to a different standard than any other program, even Penn St. Anything less than a national title is a failure. John Smith has gone on a longer title draught than Brands, does that mean he cant get it done anymore or is no longer an elite coach? Not hardly. Oklahoma St has had far worse seasons than Iowa in the last 10 years, finishing outside the top 5 a couple times. Nobody calls for Smith's head when this happens.

Comparing Zalesky and Brands, most people on here only look at the national titles. How about consistency? Iowa had the longest streak of podium finishes, 8 straight years from '08-'15, not even Penn St could say that. As I said before, it's Iowa, so if you aint first youre last, but being top 3 or 4 every single year is pretty damn hard to do. Minnesota couldn't do it, Oklahoma St, Missouri, Cornell, all the programs that don't win a title but still get a ton of love and credit, don't actually perform as well as consistently as Iowa. The one year they miss the top 4, they are 5, and miss by what, 1 point? Next season they are back in the top 4.

Look at the dual results. I know, "duals don't matter" but during Penn St first 4-peat, Iowa beat them in the dual 2 of the 4 years. Iowa has regular success against Oklahoma St, remember the time Iowa won 8 of 10 matches at Gallagher-Iba? Can you imagine what people would say on here if Okie St took 8 of 10 from Iowa at Carver?

How many guys was the HWC and the Zalesky staff putting on world and Olympic teams?

Oh yea, let's not forget about "the sideline antics." Give me a break, I've watched matches or read about matches with coaches walking half way out on the mat, jumping around, doing all the things the Iowa guys do and nobody cares. When Iowa coaches do it, it's different.

Some like to say Iowa doesn't develop their guys. I find that laughable. Where was a Brandon Sorenson in recruit rankings? I know he wasn't a top 10 kid, probably not top 20. If I remember correctly I think McDonigh was ranked in the 60's or so? I know he started his freshmen season ranked 18th or 19th with very little expectation of even being an AA. I think they develop mid-tier recruits incredibly well, and if I had to criticize them it would be that they aren't getting enough top tier bluest of blue chip recruits, the top 10-15ish types. Recently they have landed a few with guys like Lee, Kemmerer and Marinelli, and those guys have performed like top tier recruits would be expected to.

If any program other than Iowa had the kind of consistent top 4 NCAA finishes, dual wins and freestyle success Iowa has had, the praise would be thru the roof. But since it's Iowa, and fans either love them or hate them, more so hate them, anything less than a national title is failure 

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users