HokieHWT

Loyalty to Your Team

I don't have a favorite team. I have favorite wrestlers, and they change every year as the old graduate and the new enroll. 

I have favorite teams (OU/OSU), but I also become a fan of individual wrestlers for different things. A good interview can win me over pretty easy.

Cornell '80.  Didn't follow wrestling at all.

Back in 2012 (I had to look it up), I was browsing through the TV channels when I came across college wrestling on ESPN. Never seen it before on TV. Whoa, that's a Cornell wrestler? Didn't know they had any good wrestlers (my only familiarity was having shared a house with the team co-captain back in 1979-80). Double whoa, this is the NCAA finals? And the guy won? Interesting. What? The next guy is a Cornell wrestler, too? And he won, too? Who's that third Cornell guy among the champions?

Iowa State.  Graduated there.

Went to meets in the 1970's.

Coaches were Iowa State wrestlers.

Probably about 45 years

Edited by buf87

I was an Iowa fan as a HS wrestler in the '90s, but it wasn't easy to see them wrestle while living in Ohio. My folks would take us to duals at the University of Toledo until that program was cut.

I started following tOSU after graduating from college and leaving the state. I had coached as an undergrad from 98-04, and a handful of my students went into MAC programs, so I followed those programs while they were in them. More a fan of guys from Ohio than tOSU, but I'll bandwagon while they're doing well. 

I stepped up my fandom when Olympic Wrestling was threatened in 2012 - started paying closer attention and started parting with my money to attend or otherwise view some events.

Born in Ames in 1967.  Dad was a Cyclone/Gable fan. Lived across the street from the Gibbons'. ISU fan

Moved to Minny in 1977, AAU state tourney in 1979, Dan Zilverberg did a clinic.  Minny fan - hated Iowa.

College at ISU 86-89, campus hog roast after Jim led the team to title in 1987.  ISU fan again - still hated Iowa

Moved to Columbia, Mo in 2005.  Started following Mizzou.  Askren made me a fan, Brian Smith solidified my fandom. Still hate Iowa.

I guess I'm most consistently an Iowa hater for about 30 years now.

A good fan can bash their own team. Its out of love and high expectations. A bad fan imo is one that never sees a fault in the team they follow

I’d say somewhere between the two. A good fan doesn’t bash their team. Maybe finds faults but not bashing. Well maybe if you are a Browns fan it would be okay.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Third generation hawkeye here dating back to my grandmother in the 50s so I’ve always been an Iowa fan.

Moved to a small wrestling town in 99 and started the sport and following the Iowa program.

Totally immersed myself when the “transfers” came in as Jay Borschel and Dan LeClere each grew up about 15 min from where I was from. Knew LeClere and his brothers, would say barely an acquaintance with Borschel.

Edited by Witherman

I have favorite teams (OU/OSU), but I also become a fan of individual wrestlers for different things. A good interview can win me over pretty easy.

This is how I do it too.  I love the way other schools wrestle, and follow several teams and a lot of individuals, but my team is OSU with OU next.

Born and raised in State College, PA. Went to my first Penn State matches when I was six or seven in the middle of the Rich Lorenzo era. Penn State class of 1996, so I was and will always be a Penn State fan. Lorenzo's teams got me into the sport; because of guys like NCAA champions Carl DeStafanis, Jimmy Martin, and Scott Lynch, and All-Americans John Hanrahan and Eric Brugel I got involved in wrestling. Fritz had some studs: Prescott, Abe, Sunderland, etc...Sunderland had some good guys, and now Cael has the program firing on all cylinders.